Recently, the introduction of surface phase in Snell's law and Huygens' phenomena leads to ultrathin phased surfaces which can tailor the transmission and scattering of the incident wavefront in many ways. In this article, a remodeled Jerusalem cross used as the meta-element whose geometrical parameters are varied to obtain 360° phase variation, and a 3-bit quantization is presented to design phase coded surfaces to manipulate (focusing and splitting) normally incident beam. Further, two 3-bit phase quantized supercells of approximately 2λ length and width are proposed and simulated (3x3 matrix arrangement) to test and compare the scattering properties with traditional chessboard type supercell. Obtained simulated results show diffused reflections for both the models and reduced intensity of four corner lobes in comparison to chessboard supercells (at θ=30˚ and ϕ=45˚). Experimentally recorded monostatic RCS of model-2 prototype has a close agreement with the simulated results and more than 10 dBsm RCS reduction observed from 9 GHz-11 GHz.
1. Smith, D. R., J. B. Pendry, and M. C. Wiltshire, "Metamaterials and negative refractive index," Science, Vol. 305, No. 5685, 788-792, 2004. doi:10.1126/science.1096796
2. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1133628
4. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
5. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
6. Capasso, F., "Metasurfaces: From quantum cascade lasers to flat optics," 42nd International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves (IRMMW-THz), 1-3, IEEE, 2017.
7. Yu, N., P. Genevet, M. A. Kats, F. Aieta, J. P. Tetienne, F. Capasso, and Z. Gaburro, "Light propagation with phase discontinuities: Generalized laws of reflection and refraction," Science, Vol. 334, No. 6054, 333-337, 2011. doi:10.1126/science.1210713
8. Aieta, F., P. Genevet, M. A. Kats, N. Yu, R. Blanchard, Z. Gaburro, and F. Capasso, "Aberrationfree ultrathin flat lenses and axicons at telecom wavelengths based on plasmonic metasurfaces," Nano Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 4932-4936, 2012. doi:10.1021/nl302516v
9. Yu, N. and F. Capasso, "Flat optics with designer metasurfaces," Nature Materials, Vol. 13, No. 2, 139, 2014. doi:10.1038/nmat3839
10. Karimi, E., S. A. Schulz, I. D. Leon, H. Qassim, J. Upham, and R. W. Boyd, "Generating optical orbital angular momentum at visible wavelengths using a plasmonic metasurface," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 3, No. 5, e167, 2014. doi:10.1038/lsa.2014.48
11. Ma, X., M. Pu, X. Li, C. Huang, Y. Wang, W. Pan, B. Zhao, J. Cui, C. Wang, and Z. Zhao, "A planar chiral meta-surface for optical vortex generation and focusing," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 10365, 2015. doi:10.1038/srep10365
12. Yu, S., L. Li, G. Shi, C. Zhu, X. Zhou, and Y. Shi, "Design, fabrication, and measurement of reflective metasurface for orbital angular momentum vortex wave in radio frequency domain," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 108, No. 12, 121903, 2016. doi:10.1063/1.4944789
13. Zhu, H. L., S. W. Cheung, K. L. Chung, and T. I. Yuk, "Linear-to-circular polarization conversion using metasurface,", Vol. 61, No. 9, 4615-4623, 2013.
14. Chen, H., J. Wang, H. Ma, S. Qu, Z. Xu, A. Zhang, M. Yan, and Y. Li, "Ultra-wideband polarization conversion metasurfaces based on multiple plasmon resonances," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 115, No. 15, 154504, 2014. doi:10.1063/1.4869917
15. Estakhri, N. M. and A. Alu, "Ultra-thin unidirectional carpet cloak and wavefront reconstruction with graded metasurfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1775-1778, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2371894
16. Ni, X., Z. J. Wong, M. Mrejen, Y. Wang, and X. Zhang, "An ultrathin invisibility skin cloak for visible light," Science, Vol. 349, No. 6254, 1310-1314, 2015. doi:10.1126/science.aac9411
17. Ni, X., A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Metasurface holograms for visible light," Nature Communications, Vol. 4, 2807, 2013. doi:10.1038/ncomms3807
18. Minatti, G., M. Faenzi, E. Martini, F. Caminita, P. De Vita, D. Gonz´alez-Ovejero, M. Sabbadini, and S. Maci, "Modulated metasurface antennas for space: Synthesis analysis and realizations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1288-1300, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2377718
19. Donda, K. D. and R. S. Hegde, "Rapid design of wide-area heterogeneous electromagnetic metasurfaces beyond the unit-cell approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 60, 1-10, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17070405
20. Cui, T. J., M. Q. Qi, X.Wan, J. Zhao, and Q. Cheng, "Coding metamaterials, digital metamaterials and programmable metamaterials," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 3, No. 10, e218, 2014. doi:10.1038/lsa.2014.99
21. Liu, S., T. J. Cui, Q. Xu, D. Bao, L. Du, X. Wan, W. X. Tang, C. Ouyang, X. Y. Zhou, and H. Yuan, "Anisotropic coding metamaterials and their powerful manipulation of differently polarized terahertz waves," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 5, No. 5, e16076, 2016. doi:10.1038/lsa.2016.76
22. Chen, K., Y. Feng, Z. Yang, L. Cui, J. Zhao, B. Zhu, and T. Jiang, "Geometric phase coded metasurface: From polarization dependent directive electromagnetic wave scattering to diffusionlike scattering," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 35968, 2016. doi:10.1038/srep35968
23. Wan, X., M. Q. Qi, T. Y. Chen, and T. J. Cui, "Field-programmable beam reconfiguring based on digitally-controlled coding metasurface," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 20663, 2016. doi:10.1038/srep20663
24. Tymchenko, M., J. S. Gomez-Diaz, J. Lee, N. Nookala, M. A. Belkin, and A. Alu, "Gradient nonlinear pancharatnam-berry metasurfaces," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 115, No. 20, 207403, 2015. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.115.207403
25. Bahret, W. F., "The beginnings of stealth technology," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 29, No. 4, 1377-1385, 1993. doi:10.1109/7.259548
26. Park, M.-J., J. Choi, and S. S. Kim, "Wide bandwidth pyramidal absorbers of granular ferrite and carbonyl iron powders," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 36, No. 5, 3272-3274, 2000. doi:10.1109/20.908766
27. Li, M., S. Xiao, Y. Y. Bai, and B. Z. Wang, "An ultrathin and broadband radar absorber using resistive FSS," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 748-751, 2012.
28. Chaudhury, B. and S. Chaturvedi, "Study and optimization of plasma-based radar cross section reduction using three-dimensional computations," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 37, No. 11, 2116-2127, 2009. doi:10.1109/TPS.2009.2032331
29. Luukkonen, O., F. Costa, C. R. Simovski, A. Monorchio, and S. A. Tretyakov, "A thin electromagnetic absorber for wide incidence angles and both polarizations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 3119-3125, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2028601
30. Watts, C. M., X. Liu, and W. J. Padilla, "Metamaterial electromagnetic wave absorbers," Advanced Materials, Vol. 24, No. 23, OP98-OP120, 2012.
31. Paquay, M., J. C. Iriarte, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Thin AMC structure for radar cross-section reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3630-3638, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.910306
32. Simms, S. and V. Fusco, "Chessboard reflector for RCS reduction," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 4, 316-318, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20083368
33. Zhao, Y., X. Cao, J. Gao, and W. Li, "Broadband radar absorbing material based on orthogonal arrangement of CSRR etched artificial magnetic conductor," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 1, 158-161, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28033
34. Esmaeli, S. H. and S. H. Sedighy, "Wideband radar cross-section reduction by AMC," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 70-71, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.3515
35. Mighani, M. and G. Dadashzadeh, "Broadband RCS reduction using a novel double layer chessboard AMC surface," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 14, 1253-1255, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.1214
36. Sun, H., C. Gu, X. Chen, Z. Li, L. Liu, B. Xu, and Z. Zhou, "Broadband and broad-angle polarization-independent metasurface for radar cross section reduction," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 40782, 2017. doi:10.1038/srep40782
37. Su, P., Y. Zhao, S. Jia, W. Shi, and H. Wang, "An ultra-wideband and polarization-independent metasurface for RCS reduction," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 20387, 2016. doi:10.1038/srep20387
38. Li, Q. Y., Y. C. Jiao, and G. Zhao, "A novel microstrip rectangular-patch/ring-combination reflectarray element and its application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1119-1122, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2033620
39. Chen, W., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Checkerboard EBG surfaces for wideband radar cross section reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 6, 2636-2645, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2414440