In this paper, a grade nested array constituted by a uniform linear array and a grade linear array with uniformly increasing inter-element is presented. The closed-form expression of the proposed array geometries and corresponding direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation algorithm are derived. Theory analysis certifies that the proposed grade nested array can provide higher degrees of freedom (DOF) than some existing nested arrays. Some simulations are also presented to demonstrate the improved performance of the proposed nested array for DOA estimation of quasi-stationary signals.
1. Min, S., D. K. Seo, B. H. Lee, M. Kwon, and Y. H. Lee, "Direction of-arrival tracking scheme for DS/CDMA systems: Direction lock loop," IEEE Trans. Wireless Communication, Vol. 3, No. 99, 191-202, 2004. doi:10.1109/TWC.2003.821215
2. Yang, M., L. Sun, X. Yuan, and B. X. Chen, "A new nested MIMO array with increased degrees of freedom and hole-free difference coarray," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 25, No. 1, 40-44, 2018. doi:10.1109/LSP.2017.2766294
3. Yao, B., Z. Dong, W. Zhang, W. Wang, and Q. Wu, "Degree-of-freedom strengthened cascade array for DOD-DOA estimation in MIMO array systems," Sensors, Vol. 18, No. 5, 1557, 2018. doi:10.3390/s18051557
4. Moffet, A., "Minimum-redundancy linear arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 16, No. 2, 172-175, 1968. doi:10.1109/TAP.1968.1139138
5. Vaidyanathan, P. P. and P. Pal, "Sparse sensing with co-prime samplers and arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 2, 573-586, 2011. doi:10.1109/TSP.2010.2089682
6. Qin, S., Y. D. Zhang, and M. G. Amin, "Generalized coprime array configurations for direction-of-arrival estimation," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 63, No. 6, 1377-1390, 2015. doi:10.1109/TSP.2015.2393838
7. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Nested arrays: A novel approach to array processing with enhanced degrees of freedom," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 8, 4167-4181, 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2010.2049264
8. Yang, M., L. Sun, X. Yuan, and B. X. Chen, "Improved nested array with hole-free DCA and more degrees of freedom," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2068-2070, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.3197
9. Iizuka, Y. and K. Ichige, "Extension of nested array for large aperture and high degree of freedom," IEICE Communications Express, Vol. 6, No. 6, 381-386, 2017. doi:10.1587/comex.2017XBL0031
10. Liu, S., L. S. Yang, D. Li, and H. L. Cao, "Subspace extension algorithm for 2D DOA estimation with L-shaped sparse array," Multidimensional Systems & Signal Processing, Vol. 28, 315-327, 2017. doi:10.1007/s11045-016-0406-3
11. Liu, S., J. Zhao, and Z. G. Xiao, "DOA estimation with sparse array under unknown mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 70, 147-153, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17081701
12. Huang, H., B. Liao, X. Wang, X. S. Guo, and J. Huang, "A new nested array configuration with increased degrees of freedom," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 1490-1497, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2779171
13. Shen, Q., W. Liu, and W. Cui, "Extension of nested arrays with the fourth-order difference co-array enhancement," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 2991-2995, Shanghai, China, 2016.
14. Ahmed, A., Y. D. Zhang, and B. Himed, "Effective nested array design for fourth-order cumulant-based DOA estimation," IEEE Radar Conference, 0998-1002, Seattle, WA, USA, 2017.
15. Zhang, L., S. Ren, and X. Li, "Generalized L-shaped nested array concept based on the fourth-order difference co-array," Sensors, Vol. 18, 8, 2018.
16. Ma, W. K., T. H. Hsieh, and C. Y. Chi, "DOA estimation of quasi-stationary signals with less sensors than sources and unknown spatial noise covariance a Khatri-Rao subspace approach," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 9, 2168-2180, 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2034935
17. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143830