In this paper, a W-band single-pole four-throw (SP4T) switch for multichannel high power transceiver chipset design is proposed based on a standard commercial 100 nm GaAs power pseudomorphic high electron mobility transistor (pHEMT) technology. The process used in this work is optimized for use in power amplifier (PA) design, resulting in larger drain electrode capacitance. In order to reduce the effect of large drain capacitance for switch design, a proper series capacitor is adopted. This capacitor can not only reduce the parasitic capacitance of the turn-off state transistor but also resonate with the parasitic inductance of the turn-on state transistor to improve the isolation. As known, the short stub is adopted to compensate the remaining parasitic capacitance. For verification, a prototype is fabricated and measured. The measured results are in good agreement with the simulated ones, and it shows that the fabricated SP4T switch achieves a bandwidth of 75 GHz-96 GHz, with an insertion loss and isolation about 4.8 dB and 28 dB, respectively. The fabricated switch also realizes a Pin1 dB about 22 dBm.
"W-Band Single-Pole Four-Throw Switch for Multichannel High Power Transceiver Chipset Design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 81, 107-116, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19042701
1. Reynolds, S., A. Valdes-Garcia, B. Floyd, T. Beukema, B. Gaucher, D. Liu, N. Hoivik, and B. Orner, "Second generation 60-GHz transceiver chipset supporting multiple modulations at Gb/s data rates (Invited)," IEEE Bipolar/BiCMOS Circuits and Technology Meeting, Boston, MA, USA, Oct. 2007.
2. Khaddaj Mallat, N., E. Moldovan, and S. O. Tatu, "Comparative demodulation results for six-port and conventional 60GHz direct conversion receivers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 437-449, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081003
3. IEEE 802.15 working group for WPAN, [Online]. Available: http://www.ieee802.org/15/.
4. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMakin, and T. E. Hall, "Three-dimensional millimeter-wave imaging for concealed weapon detection," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1581-1592, Sep. 2001. doi:10.1109/22.942570
5. Ahmed, S. S., A. Schiessl, and L.-P. Schmidt, "Novel fully electronic active real-time millimeter-wave imaging system based on a planar multistatic sparse array," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, MD, USA, Jun. 2011.
6. Li, S. Y., B. L. Ren, H. J. Sun, W. D. Hu, and X. Lv, "Modified wavenumber domain algorithm for three-dimensional millimeter-wave imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 35-53, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112406
7. Liu, C.-Y., M.-H. Yang, and X.-W. Sun, "Towards robust human millimeter wave imaging inspection system in real time with deep learning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 161, 87-100, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIER18012601
8. Hasch, J., E. Topak, R. Schnabel, T. Zwick, R. Weigel, and C. Waldschmidt, "Millimeter-wave technology for automotive radar sensors in the 77 GHz frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 60, No. 3, 845-860, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2178427
9. Giammello, V., E. Ragonese, and G. Palmisano, "Transmitter chipset for 24/77-GHz automotive radar sensors," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, Anaheim, CA, USA, May 2010.
10. Jeong, S.-H., H.-Y. Yu, J.-E. Lee, J.-N. Oh, and K.-H. Lee, "A multi-beam and multi-range radar with FMCW and digital beam forming for automotive applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 285-299, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11110805
11. Jain, V., F. Tzeng, L. Zhou, and P. Heydari, "A single-chip dual-band 22-29-GHz/77-81-GHz BiCMOS transceiver for automotive radars," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 44, No. 12, 3469-3485, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2009.2032583
12. Steinhagen, F., H. Massler, W. H. Haydl, A. Hulsmann, and K. Kohler, "Coplanar W-band SPDT and SPTT resonated PIN diode switches," European Microwave Conference, Munich, Germany, Oct. 1999.
13. Song, P., R. L. Schmid, A. Ulusoy, and J. D. Cressler, "A high-power, lowloss w-band SPDT switch using SiGe PIN diodes," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, Tampa, FL, USA, Jun. 2014.
14. Liu, H.-E., X. Lin, H.-Y. Chang, and Y.-C. Wang, "10-MHz-to-70-GHz ultra-wideband low-insertion-loss SPST and SPDT switches using GaAs PIN diode MMIC process," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Japan, Nov. 2018.
15. Atesal, Y. A., B. Cetinoneri, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Low-loss 0.13-μm CMOS 50–70 GHz SPDT and SP4T switches," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, Boston, MA, USA, Jun. 2009.
16. Meng, F.-Y., K.-X. Ma, K. S. Yeo, C. C. Boon, W. M. Lim, and S. Xu, "A 220-285 GHz SPDT switch in 65-nm CMOS using switchable resonator concept," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 4, 649-651, Jul. 2015. doi:10.1109/TTHZ.2015.2436216
17. Shu, R. and Q. J. Gu, "Transformer-based v-band SPDT switch," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 3, 278-280, Mar. 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2661678
18. Thome, F. and O. Ambacher, "Highly-isolating and broadband single-pole double-throw switches for millimeter-wave applications up to 330 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 4, 1998-2009, Apr. 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2777980
19. Zhao, L., W.-F. Liang, J.-Y. Zhou, and X. Jiang, "Compact 35-70 GHz SPDT switch with high isolation for high power application," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 5, 485-487, May 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2690834
20. Kallfass, I., S. Diebold, H. Massler, S. Koch, M. Seelmann-Eggebert, and A. Leuther, "Multiple-throw millimeter-wave FET switches for frequencies from 60 up to 120 GHz," European Microwave Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct. 2008.
21. Margomenos, A., A. Kurdoghlian, M. Micovic, K. Shinohara, H. Moyer, D. C. Regan, R. M. Grabar, C. McGuire, M. D. Wetzel, and D. H. Chow, "W-band GaN receiver components utilizing highly scaled, next generation GaN device technology," IEEE Compound Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Symposium, La Jolla, CA, USA, Oct. 2014.
22. Adabi, E. and A. M. Niknejad, "A mm-wave transformer basedtransmit/receive switch in 90 nm CMOS technology," European Microwave Conference, Rome, Italy, Oct. 2009.
23. Chou, C.-C., S.-C. Huang, W.-C. Lai, H.-C. Kuo, and H.-R. Chuang, "Design of w-band high-isolation T/R switch," European Microwave Conference, Paris, France, Sep. 2015.
24. Zhou, P.-G., H.-Y Dong, Z.-G. Peng, J.-X. Chen, D.-B. Hou, P.-P. Yan, Y. Xiang, and W. Hong, "A w-band low loss, high power SPDT switch using reverse saturated 0.13 μm SiGe HBTs," IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology, Melbourne, VIC, Australia, Aug. 2018.
25. Schmid, R. L., P. Song, C. T. Coen, A. Ulusoy, and J. D. Cressler, "On the analysis and design of low-loss single-pole double-throw w-band switches utilizing saturated SiGe HBTs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 11, 2755-2767, Nov. 2014. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2014.2354017