As one of the important means in discriminating every mode in a high power microwave (HPM) multimode system, utilizing a mode-selective directional coupler to quantitatively analyze multi-modes and power measurement has been proposed. The first step of this method is to calibrate the coupling coefficients of each coupled mode in the HPM system. Moreover, the conventional calibrating method must make the corresponding single mode exciter or mode generator. In this manuscript, a different calibrating method is presented by measuring the output power from each output port of two back-to-back identical mode-selective couplers, including the backward wave power, then the coupling coefficients of each coupled mode can be calculated by combining and solving equations. In this way, it is not necessary to manufacture the single mode exciter or mode generator for each mode in the HPM system, and also to repeat iteration solution; therefore, this method is more precise, convenient, efficient, and has lower cost than the current other methods.
"The Calibration of the Coupling Coefficients of the Mode-Selective Coupler Without the Single Mode Exciter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 87, 115-121, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERL19051506
1. Benford, J., J. A. Swegle, and E. Schamiloglu, High Power Microwave, CRC press, part of Taylor &Francis Group LLC, 2006.
2. Wang, W., et al., "Discrimination and analysis of microwave modes in high-power systems," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Wave, Vol. 26, No. 2, 147-161, 2005. doi:10.1007/s10762-005-2996-y
3. Janzen, G. and H. Sticked, "Mode selective directional couplers for overmoded waveguide system," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 5, No. 7, 887-917, 1984. doi:10.1007/BF01009581
4. Janzen, G. and H. Sticked, "Improved directional couplers for overmoded waveguide system," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 5, No. 10, 1405-1417, 1984. doi:10.1007/BF01013366
5. Wang, W., et al., "Mode discriminator based on mode-selective coupling," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 1, 55-63, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.806947
6. Wang, W., et al., "Design of wide-wand mode discriminator based on mode-selective coupling," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 95, No. 2, 99-110, 2008. doi:10.1080/00207210701814119
7. Thumm, M. K. and W. Kaspaprek, "Passive high-power microwave components," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 30, No. 3, 755-786, 2002. doi:10.1109/TPS.2002.801653
8. Wang, W., Microwave Engineering Technology, National Defense Industry Press, Beijing, 2014.