In this paper, a novel passive antenna cancellation technique for a full-duplex system is presented. This includes three patch antennas with a developed coupler that are constructed and integrated with the feed network to reduce the self-interference signal without the need for other components, thus achieving a complete antenna cancellation method. Computer Simulation Technology (CST) microwave studio is utilized to simulate the design model. A prototype was fabricated and tested practically to validate the proposed design. The computed results are compared with measurements. The proposed technique provides up to 68 dB cancellation at the operating frequency 2.45 GHz, and this decreases to 40 dB at 70 MHz bandwidth, and to 36 dB at 100 MHz bandwidth.
Ahmed Abdulbary Jasim,
Raed A. Abd-Alhameed,
"Integrated Antenna Technique for Cancelling the Self-Interference Signal in Full-Duplex Communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 97, 43-55, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19081902
1. Xia, X., K. Xu, Y. Wang, and Y. Xu, "A 5G-enabling technology: Benefits, feasibility, and limitations of in-band full-duplex MIMO," IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, Vol. 13, No. 3, 81-90, 2018, doi: 10.1109/MVT.2018.2792198. doi:10.1109/MVT.2018.2792198
2. Mohammadi, M., et al., "Full-duplex non-orthogonal multiple access for next generation wireless systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 5, 110-116, 2019. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2019.1800578
3. Baek, M.-S., J.-H. Song, O. H. Kwon, and J.-Y. Jung, "Self-interference cancellation in time-domain for DOCSIS 3.1 uplink system with full duplex," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, 1-7, 2019.
4. Satyanarayana, K., M. El-Hajjar, P.-H. Kuo, A. Mourad, and L. Hanzo, "Hybrid beamforming design for full-duplex millimeter wave communication," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 68, No. 2, 1394-1404, 2018. doi:10.1109/TVT.2018.2884049
5. Koohian, A., H. Mehrpouyan, A. A. Nasir, S. Durrani, M. Azarbad, and S. D. Blostein, "Blind channel estimation in full duplex systems: Identifiability analysis, bounds, and estimators," Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, Vol. 47, No. 3, 398-412, 2015.
6. Chung, M., M. S. Sim, J. Kim, D. K. Kim, and C.-B. Chae, "Prototyping real-time full duplex radios," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 9, 56-63, 2015. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2015.7263346
7. Deng, Y., K. J. Kim, T. Q. Duong, M. Elkashlan, G. K. Karagiannidis, and A. Nallanathan, "Full-duplex spectrum sharing in cooperative single carrier systems," IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking, Vol. 2, No. 1, 68-82, 2016. doi:10.1109/TCCN.2016.2577041
8. Bharadia, D., E. McMilin, and S. Katti, "Full duplex radios," ACM SIGCOMM 2013 Conference on Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer Communication, SIGCOMM 2013, Hong Kong, China, 2013: Association for Computing Machinery, SIGCOMM 2013 --- Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM 2013 Conference on Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer Communication 375-386, doi: 10.1145/2486001.2486033. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2486001.2486033.
9. Jasim, A. A., K. M. Younus, A. Ali, K. H. Sayidmarie, A. Alhaddad, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "A simple self-interference cancellation technique for full duplex communication," 2017 Internet Technologies and Applications (ITA), 224-229, September 12-15, 2017, doi: 10.1109/ITECHA.2017.8101943.
10. Khandani, A. K., "Two-way (true full-duplex) wireless," 2013 13th Canadian Workshop on Information Theory (CWIT), 33-38, June 18-21, 2013, doi: 10.1109/CWIT.2013.6621588.
11. Khojastepour, M. A., K. Sundaresan, S. Rangarajan, X. Zhang, and S. Barghi, "The case for antenna cancellation for scalable full-duplex wireless communications," 10th ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks, HotNets-10, November 14, 2011-November 15, 2011, Cambridge, MA, United states, 2011, Adalia Farma, Proceedings of the 10th ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks, HotNets-10, ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM); CISCO, doi: 10.1145/2070562.2070579. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2070562.2070579.
12. Jain, M., et al., "Practical, real-time, full duplex wireless," 17th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, MobiCom’11 and Co-Located Workshops, September 19, 2011, Las Vegas, NV, USA, 2011: Association for Computing Machinery, Proceedings of the Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, MOBICOM, 301-312, doi: 10.1145/2030613.2030647. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2030613.2030647.
13. Phungamngern, N., P. Uthansakul, and M. Uthansakul, "Digital and RF interference cancellation for single-channel full-duplex transceiver using a single antenna," 2013 10th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technolog, Krabi, Thailand, 2013, IEEE Computer Society, 2013 10th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology, ECTI-CON 2013, doi: 10.1109/ECTICon.2013.6559508. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ECTICon.2013.6559508.