In this paper, we consider a MIMO wiretap system in wireless sensor networks (WSNs), where the confidential signal sent to the legitimate receive (Bob) may be eavesdropped by the eavesdropper (Eve). Assuming that only partial channel state information (CSI) can be obtained by the transmitter, we consider both worst case (WC) and outage-constrained (OC) robust secrecy optimizations. To solve the WC design, we propose to linearize these logarithmic determinant terms. After linearization, we tackle the CSI uncertainty using the Nemirovski lemma. Then, an alternating optimization (AO) algorithm is proposed to solve the reformulated problem. On the other hand, to solve the OC design, we transform the probabilistic constraint into safe and tractable reformulation by the Bernstein-type inequality (BTI) and large deviation inequality (LDI), and an AO algorithm is proposed. Numerical results are provided to demonstrate the performance of the proposed scheme.
"Both Worst Case and Outage Constrained Robust Design for MIMO Wiretap Wireless Sensor Networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 97, 109-121, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19092801
1. Choi, K. W., L. Ginting, P. A. Rosyady, A. A. Aziz, and D. I. Kim, "Wireless-powered sensor networks: How to realize," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 16, No. 1, 221-234, Jan. 2017. doi:10.1109/TWC.2016.2621766
2. Ruan, T., Z. Chew, and M. Zhu, "Energy-aware approaches for energy harvesting powered wireless sensor nodes," IEEE Sensor Journal, Vol. 17, No. 7, 2165-2173, Apr. 2017. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2017.2665680
3. Wu, J., K. Ota, M. Dong, and C. Li, "A hierarchical security framework for defending against sophisticated attacks on wireless sensor networks in smart cities," IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 416-424, Jan. 2016. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2517321
4. Deng, Y., L. Wang, M. Elkashlan, A. Nallanathan, and R.K. Mallik, "Physical layer security in three-tier wireless sensor networks: A stochastic geometry approach," IEEE Trans. Inf. Forensics Security, Vol. 11, No. 6, 1128-1138, Jan. 2016. doi:10.1109/TIFS.2016.2516917
5. Liu, Y., H.-H. Chen, and L. Wang, "Physical layer security for next generation wireless networks: Theories, technologies, and challenges," IEEE Commun. Surveys Tutorials, Vol. 19, No. 1, 347-376, First Quarter, 2017. doi:10.1109/COMST.2016.2598968
6. Khisti, A. and G. W. Wornell, "Secure transmission with multiple antennas --- Part II: The MIMOME wiretap channel," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 56, No. 11, 5515-5532, Nov. 2010. doi:10.1109/TIT.2010.2068852
7. Oggier, F. and B. Hassibi, "The secrecy capacity of the MIMO wiretap channel," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 57, No. 8, 4961-4972, Aug. 2011. doi:10.1109/TIT.2011.2158487
8. Li, Q., M. Hong, H.-T. Wai, Y.-F. Liu, W.-K. Ma, and Z.-Q. Luo, "Transmit solutions for MIMO wiretap channels using alternating optimization," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 31, No. 9, 1714-1727, Sep. 2013. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2013.130906
9. Fakoorian, S. A. A. and A. L. Swindlehurst, "Full rank solutions for the MIMO Gaussian wiretap channel with an average power constraint," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 61, No. 10, 2620-2631, May 2013. doi:10.1109/TSP.2013.2253774
10. Loyka, S. and C. D. Charalambous, "An algorithm for global maximization of secrecy rates in gaussian MIMO wiretap channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 63, No. 6, 2288-2299, Jan. 2015. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2015.2424235
11. Shi, Q.-J., W.-Q. Xu, J.-S. Wu, E.-B. Song, and Y.-M. Wang, "Secure beamforming for MIMO broadcasting with wireless information and power transfer," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 14, No. 5, 2841-2853, May 2015. doi:10.1109/TWC.2015.2395414
12. Lee, H., C. Song, J. Moon, and I. Lee, "Precoder designs for MIMO Gaussian multiple access wiretap channels," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 66, No. 9, 8563-8568, Sep. 2017. doi:10.1109/TVT.2017.2678601
13. Masood, M., A. Chrayeb, P. Babu, I. Khalil, and M. Hasna, "A minorization-maximization algorithm for maximizing the secrecy rate of MIMOME wiretap channel," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 3, 520-523, Mar. 2017. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2016.2628892
14. Cumanan, K., Z. Ding, B. Sharif, G. Y. Tian, and K. K. Leung, "Secrecy rate optimizations for a MIMO secrecy channel with a multiple-antenna eavesdropper," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 63, No. 4, 1678-1690, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TVT.2013.2285244
15. Chu, Z., K. Cumanan, Z. Ding, M. Johnston, and S. Y. Le Goff, "Secrecy rate optimizations for a MIMO secrecy channel with a cooperative jammer," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 64, No. 5, 1833-1847, May 2015. doi:10.1109/TVT.2014.2336092
16. Wang, S.-H. and B.-Y. Wang, "Robust secure transmit design in MIMO channels with simultaneous wireless and information power," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 11, 2147-2151, Nov. 2015. doi:10.1109/LSP.2015.2464791
17. Zhu, Z., Z. Chu, N. Wang, S. Huang, Z. Wang, and I. Lee, "Beamforming and power splitting designs for AN-aided secure multi-user MIMO SWIPT systems," IEEE Trans. Inf. Forensics Security, Vol. 12, No. 12, 2861-2874, Dec. 2017. doi:10.1109/TIFS.2017.2721908
18. Jiang, M., Y. Li, Q. Zhang, Q. Li, and J. Qin, "Robust secure beamforming in MIMO wiretap channels with deterministically bounded channel errors," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 67, No. 10, 9775-9784, Oct. 2018. doi:10.1109/TVT.2018.2864542
19. Li, Q., W.-K. Ma, and A. M. Cho, "A safe approximation approach to secrecy outage design for MIMO wiretap channels," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 1, 118-121, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1109/LSP.2013.2293884
20. Chu, Z., K. Cumanan, Z. Ding, M. Johnston, and S. L. Goff, "Robust outage secrecy rate optimizations for a MIMO secrecy channel," IEEE Wireless Commun. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 1, 86-89, Jun. 2015. doi:10.1109/LWC.2014.2374611
21. Wu, W. and B. Wang, "Efficient transmission solutions for MIMO wiretap channels with SWIPT," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 9, 1548-1551, Sep. 2015. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2015.2451179
22. Khandaker, M. R. A. and K.-K. Wong, "Robust secrecy beamforming for MIMO SWIPT with probabilistic constraint ," Proc. IEEE Globecom Workshops, 1-6, Dec. 2016.
23. Yuan, Y. and Z. Ding, "Outage constrained secrecy rate maximization design with SWIPT in MIMO-CR systems," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 67, No. 6, 5475-5480, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1109/TVT.2017.2717495
24. Eldar, Y. C., A. Ben-Tal, and A. Nemirovski, "Robust mean-squared error estimation in the presence of model uncertainties," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 53, No. 1, 168-181, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TSP.2004.838933
25. Ben-Tal, A., L. E. Ghaoui, and A. Nemirovski, "Robust Optimization," Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 2009. doi:10.1515/9781400831050
26. Bechar, I., "A Bernstein-type inequality for stochastic processes of quadratic forms of Gaussian variables,", avaiable online at http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.3595, Sep. 2009.
27. Wang, K.-Y., A. M.-C. So, T.-H. Chang, W.-K. Ma, and C.-Y. Chi, "Outage constrained robust transmit optimization for multiuser MISO downlinks: Tractable approximations by conic optimization," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 62, No. 21, 5690-5705, Nov. 2014. doi:10.1109/TSP.2014.2354312
28. Grant, M. and S. Boyd, , CVX: Matlab software for disciplined convex programming, version 1.21., Accessed on Apr. 2011. [Online]. Available: http://cvxr.com/cvx.