Circular polarization is manifested by means of truncations on basic circular radiating patch with precisely designed asymmetric feed. The proposed truncated circular microstrip antenna (TCMA) yields impedance bandwidth (IBW) of 7.6 GHz, almost covering the FCC approved ultra wideband (UWB) frequency and 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth (ARBW) of 5.05 GHz spreading over two bands, enabling the antenna to be used for multiple applications in ultra wideband frequency range. A peak gain of 5.73 dBi is documented at 5 GHz which is within the circular polarization (CP) band. This single feed antenna is very simple to design and compact in size.
1. Gao, S., Q. Luo, and F. Zhu, Circularly Polarized Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
2. Pourahmadazar, J., Ch. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, N. Felegari, and H. Shirzad, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized square slot antenna with inverted L-strips for UWB Applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 369-372, Apr. 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2147271
3. Tsai, C. L., "A coplanar-strip dipole antenna for broad-band circular polarization operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 141-157, Oct. 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11082407
4. Rahim, S. A., Sh. Danesh, U. A. Okonkwo, M. Sabran, and d M. Khalily, "UWB monopole antenna with circular polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 4, 949-953, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26741
5. Ahdi Rezaeieh, S., A. Abbosh, and M. A. Antoniades, "Compact CPW-fed planar monopole antenna with wide circular polarization bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1295-1298, Oct. 2013.
6. Chen, Q., H. Zhang, L. Yang, B. Xue, and X. Min, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized planar monopole antenna with inverted L-strip and asymmetric ground plane for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 74, 91-100, May 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17021203
7. Chen, T., J. Zhang, and W. Wang, "A novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna with broadband circularly polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 84, 11-20, Aug. 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19061901
8. Chaudhary, P. and A. Kumar, "Compact ultra-wideband circularly polarized CPW-fed monopole antenna," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 107, 137-145, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.05.025
9. Gunjan, S., "Compact circularly polarized antenna with wide axial ratio bandwidth using modified quasi-self-complementary structure," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 11, No. 1, 35-40, 2019. doi:10.1017/S175907871800106X
10. Chao, S., "A design of compact ultrawideband circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 9, 6170-6175, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2922759
11. Zhang, Y.-X., Y.-C. Jiao, H. Zhang, and Y. Gao, "A simple broadband flat-gain circularly polarized aperture antenna with multiple radiation modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 81, 1-10, 2018.
12. Wu, Z., G. M. Wei, X. Li, and L. Yang, "A single-layer and compact circularly polarized wideband slot antenna based on `bent feed’," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 72, 39-44, 2018.
13. Chen, Q., H. L. Zheng, T. Quan, and X. Li, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized antenna with equiangular tapered-shaped feedline for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 83-95, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11110603
14. Ram Krishna, R. V. S. and R. Kumar, "Design of ultra wideband trapezoidal shape slot antenna with circular polarization," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 67, 1038-1047, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2013.06.005
15. Shokri, M., V. Rafii, S. Karamzadeh, Z. Amiri, and B. Virdee, "Miniaturised ultra-wideband circularly polarized antenna with modified ground plane," Electronic Letters, Vol. 50, No. 24, 1786-1788, Nov. 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.3278
16. Kumar, S., K. W. Kim, H. C. Choi, S. Saxena, R. Tiwari, M. K. Khandelwal, S. K. Palaniswamy, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A low profile circularly polarized UWB antenna with integrated GSM band for wireless communication," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 224-232, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.06.027
17. Bhanu Pratap, L., D. Kundu, and A. Mohan, "Planar microstrip-fed broadband circularly polarized antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1088-1093, May 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29739
18. Prakash, K. C., P. V. Vinesh, M. Mani, S. Mathew, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Printed circularly polarised asymmetric ultra-wideband antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 74, 179-189, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18090205
19. Mao, S. G., J. C. Yeh, and S. L. Chen, "Ultra wideband circularly polarized spiral antenna using integrated balun with application to time domain target detection," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 1914-1920, Jul. 2009.
20. Tran, H. H. and T. T. Le, "Ultrawideband, high-gain, high-efficiency, circularly polarized Archimedean spiral antenna," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 109, 1-7, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.07.006
21. Chandu, D. S. and S. S. Karthikeyan, "A novel broadband dual circularly polarized microstrip-fed monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 3, 1410-1415, Mar. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2647705
22. Khandelwal, M. K., S. Kumar, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Design, modeling and analysis of dual-feed defected ground microstrip patch antenna with wide axial ratio bandwidth," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 17, 1019-1028, 2018. doi:10.1007/s10825-018-1173-1
23. Li, Z., X. Zhu, and C. Yin, "CPW-fed ultra-wideband Slot antenna with Broadband Dual Circular Polarization," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 98, 191-198, Nov. 2019.
24. Birwal, A., S. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Kumar, "CPW-fed ultra-wideband dual-sense circularly polarized slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 94, 219-231, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19052005
25. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.
26. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2003.
27. Toh, B. Y., R. Cahill, and V. F. Fusco, "Understanding and measuring circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Education, Vol. 46, No. 3, 313-318, Aug. 2003. doi:10.1109/TE.2003.813519