A low-loss dual-band negative group delay circuit (NGDC) with a flexible design is proposed. The proposed NGDC consists of a transmission line coupled asymmetrically with two step-impedance open-loop resonators. The negative group delay (NGD) times and center frequencies of the lower and upper bands can be tuned independently. To verify the design concept, two dual-band NGDC prototypes I and II are fabricated and measured. The measured NGD times of prototype I are -4.9 ns and -4.8 ns at the center frequencies of 1.949 GHz and 2.054 GHz, respectively. The insertion loss is lower than 2.7 dB and the return loss larger than 11.2 dB in both NGD bands. For prototype II, the NGD times at 1.949 GHz and 2.086 GHz are -4.7 ns and -3.3 ns, respectively. The measured insertion loss is better than 2.4 dB with the return loss larger than 11.9 dB.
"A Low-Loss Dual-Band Negative Group Delay Circuit with Flexible Design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 98, 33-40, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21041701
1. Ravelo, B., S. Lallechere, A. Thakur, A. Saini, and P. Thskuret, "Theory and circuit modeling of baseband and modulated signal delay compensations with low- and band-pass NGD effects," AEU Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 70, No. 9, 1122-1127, Sept. 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.05.009
2. Eudes, T. and B. Ravelo, "Cancellation of delays in the high-rate interconnects with UWB NGD active cells," Appl. Phys. Res., Vol. 3, No. 2, 81-88, Nov. 2011.
3. Ahn, K., R. Ishikawa, and K. Honjo, "Group delay equalized UWB InGaP/GaAs HBT MMIC amplifier using negative group delay circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2139-2147, Sept. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2027082
5. Shao, T., Z. Wang, S. Fang, H. Liu, and S. Fu, "A compact transmission-line self-matched negative group delay microwave circuit," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 22836-22843, Nov. 2017.
6. Xiao, J. K., Q. F. Wang, and J. G. Ma, "Matched NGD circuit with resistor-connected coupled lines," Electron. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 16, 903-905, Aug. 2019. doi:10.1049/el.2019.1277
7. Chaudhary, G. and Y. Jeong, "A design of compact wideband negative group delay network using cross coupling," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 11, 2612-2616, Nov. 2014.
8. Wu, Y., H. Wang, Z. Zhuang, Y. Liu, Q. Xue, and A. A. Kishk, "A novel arbitrary terminated unequal coupler with bandwidth-enhanced positive and negative group delay characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 66, No. 5, 2170-2184, May 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2018.2809516
9. Zhang, T., T. Yang, and P. Chi, "Novel reconfigurable negative group delay circuits with independent group delay and transmission loss/gain control," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 68, No. 4, 1293-1303, Apr. 2020. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2955704
10. Ravelo, B., F. Wan, N. Li, Z. Xu, P. Thakur, and A. Thaku, "Diakoptics modelling applied to flying bird-shape NGD microstrip circuit," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II — Express Briefs, Vol. 68, No. 2, 637-641, Feb. 2021. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2020.3012959
11. Wan, F., L. Wu, B. Ravelo, and J. Ge, "Analysis of interconnect line coupled with a radial-stub terminated negative group delay circuit," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 62, No. 5, 1813-1821, Oct. 2020. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2019.2936266
12. Wan, F., N. Li, B. Ravelo, and J. Ge, "O=O shape low-loss negative group delay microstrip circuit," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II — Express Briefs, Vol. 67, No. 10, 1795-1799, Oct. 2020. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2019.2955109
13. Ravelo, B., N. Li, F. Wan, and J. Feng, "Design, modeling and synthesis of negative group delay IL-shape topology," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 153900-153909, Oct. 2019.
14. Choi, H., Y. Jeong, J. Lim, S. Eom, and Y. Jung, "A novel design for a dual-band negative group delay circuit," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 1, 19-21, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2089675
15. Ravelo, B. and S. Blasi, "An FET-based microwave active circuit with dual-band negative group delay," J. Microw. Optoelectron. Electromagn. Appl., Vol. 10, No. 2, 355-366, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1590/S2179-10742011000200006
16. Shao, T., S. Fang, Z. Wang, and H. Liu, "A compact dual-band negative group delay microwave circuit," Radioengineering, Vol. 27, No. 4, 1070-1076, Dec. 2018. doi:10.13164/re.2018.1070
17. Meng, Y., Z. Wang, S. Fang, T. Shao, H. Liu, and Z. Chen, "Dual-band negative group delay microwave circuit with low signal attenuation and arbitrary frequency ratio," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 49908-49919, Mar. 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2978545
18. Chaudhary, G., Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Miniaturized dual-band negative group delay circuit using dual-plane defected structures," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 8, 521-523, Aug. 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2322445
19. Taher, H. and R. Farrell, "Dual wide-band miniaturized negative group delay circuit using open circuit stubs," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 2, 428-432, Feb. 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.30979
20. Zhou, X., et al., "Analytical design of dual-band negative group delay circuit with multi-coupled lines," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 72749-72756, Apr. 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2988096