In this paper, a novel high-sensitive mid-infrared photonic crystal-based slotted-waveguide coupled-cavity sensor to behave as a refractive index sensing device is proposed at mid-infrared wavelength of 3.9 µm. We determine the sensitivity of our sensor by detecting the shift in the resonance wavelength as a function of the refractive index variations in the region around the cavity. Comparison between mid-infrared photonic crystal-based slotted-waveguide coupled-cavity with mid-infrared photonic crystal-based slotted-waveguide shows a higher sensitivity to refractive index changes. The sensitivity can be improved from 938 nm/per refractive index unit (RIU) to 1161 nm/RIU within the range of n = 1 - 1.05 with an increment of 0.01 RIU in the wavelength range of 3.3651 µm to 4.1198 µm by creating a microcavity within the proposed structure, calculated quality factor (Q-factor) of 1.0821 x 107 giving a sensor figure of merit (FOM) up to 2.917 x 106, and a low detection limit of 3.9 × 10-6 RIU. Furthermore, an overall sensitivity is calculated to be around S = 1343.2 nm/RIU for the case of higher refractive indices of analytes within the range of n = 1 - 1.2 with an increment of 0.05 RIU. The described work and the achieved results by performing 2D-finite-difference time-domain (2D-FDTD) simulations confirm the capability to realize a commercially viable miniaturized and highly sensitive mid-infrared photonic crystal based slotted-waveguide coupled cavity sensor.
"High-Sensitive Mid-Infrared Photonic Crystal Sensor Using Slotted-Waveguide Coupled-Cavity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 105, 45-54, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM21071207
1. Ge, X., Y. Shi, and S. He, "Ultra-compact channel drop filter based on photonic crystal nanobeam cavities utilizing a resonant tunneling effect," Opt. Lett., Vol. 39, 6973, 2014.
2. Lin, C., H. Subbaraman, A. Hosseini, A. X. Wang, L. Zhu, R. T. Chen, C. Lin, H. Subbaraman, A. Hosseini, A. X. Wang, L. Zhu, and R. T. Chen, "Silicon nanomembrane based photonic crystal waveguide array for wavelength-tunable true-time-delay lines," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 051101, 1, 2012.
3. Gao, Y., R. Shiue, X. Gan, L. Li, C. Peng, I. Meric, L. Wang, A. Szep, D. Walker, J. Hone, and D. Englund, "High-speed electro-optic modulator integrated with graphene-boron nitride heterostructure and photonic crystal nanocavity," Nano Lett., 2015.
4. Harhouz, A., A. Hocini, and H. Tayoub, "Ultracompact gas-sensor based on a 2D photonic crystal waveguide incorporating with tapered microcavity," IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., Vol. 1046, 012001, 2021.
5. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2059, 1987.
6. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2486, 1987.
7. Zou, Y., S. Chakravarty, R. T. Chen, Y. Zou, S. Chakravarty, and R. T. Chen, "Mid-infrared silicon-on-sapphire waveguide coupled photonic crystal microcavities," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 081109, 2015.
8. Hodgkinson, J. and R. P. Tatam, "Optical gas sensing: A review," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 24, 2013.
9. Seitz, W. R., "Chemical sensors based on fiber optics," Anal. Chem., Vol. 56, 1984.
10. Shruti, R. K. Sinha, and R. Bhattacharyya, "Photonic crystal slab waveguide-based infiltrated liquid sensors: Design and analysis," J. Nanophotonics, Vol. 5, 053505, 2011.
11. Goyal, A. K. and S. Pal, "Design and simulation of high-sensitive gas sensor using a ring-shaped photonic crystal waveguide," Phys. Scr., Vol. 90, 25503, 2015.
12. Tung, B. T., H. M. Nguyen, D. V. Dao, S. Rogge, H. W. M. Salemink, and S. Sugiyama, "Strain sensitive effect in a triangular lattice photonic crystal hole-modified nanocavity," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 11, 2657, 2011.
13. Di Falco, A., L. O. Faolain, T. F. Krauss, A. Di Falco, L. O. Faolain, and T. F. Krauss, "Dispersion control and slow light in slotted photonic crystal waveguides," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 083501, 2006, 2014.
14. Di Falco, A., L. O. Faolain, T. F. Krauss, A. Di Falco, L. O. Faolain, and T. F. Krauss, "Chemical sensing in slotted photonic crystal heterostructure cavities," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 063503, 6, 2011.
15. Scullion, M. G., A. Di Falco, and T. F. Krauss, "Biosensors and bioelectronics slotted photonic crystal cavities with integrated microfluidics for biosensing applications," Biosens. Bioelectron., Vol. 27, 101, 2011.
16. Lai, W., S. Chakravarty, X. Wang, C. Lin, and R. T. Chen, "On-chip methane sensing by near-IR absorption signatures in a photonic crystal slot waveguide," Opt. Lett., Vol. 36, 984, 2011.
17. Lai, W., S. Chakravarty, X. Wang, C. Lin, R. T. Chen, W. Lai, S. Chakravarty, X. Wang, and C. Lin, "Photonic crystal slot waveguide absorption spectrometer for on-chip near-infrared spectroscopy of xylene in water," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 023304, 2009, 2014.
18. Jágerská, J., H. Zhang, Z. Diao, N. Le Thomas, and R. Houdré, "Refractive index sensing with an air-slot photonic crystal nanocavity," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 2523, 2010.
19. Wang, B., M. A. Dundar, R. Nötzel, F. Karouta, R. W. van Der Heiiden, and S. He, "Photonic crystal slot nanobeam slow light waveguides for refractive index sensing," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 39, 966, 1993.
20. Kwon, S.-H., T. Sünner, M. Kamp, and A. Forchel, "Optimization of photonic crystal cavity for chemical sensing," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 11709, 2008.
21. Lin, S., J. Hu, L. Kimerling, and K. Crozier, "Design of nanoslotted photonic crystal waveguide cavities for single nanoparticle trapping and detection," Opt. Lett., Vol. 34, 3451, 2009.
22. Kurt, H., M. N. Erim, and N. Erim, "Chemical various photonic crystal bio-sensor configurations based on optical surface modes," Sensors Actuators B. Chem., Vol. 165, 68, 2012.
23. Kassa-Baghdouche, L. and E. Cassan, "Sensitivity analysis of ring-shaped slotted photonic crystal waveguides for mid-infrared refractive index sensing," Opt. Quantum Electron., Vol. 51, 2019.
24. Elshahat, S., I. Abood, Z. Liang, J. Pei, and Z. Ouyang, "Elongated-hexagonal photonic crystal for buffering, sensing, and modulation," Nanomaterials, Vol. 11, 1, 2021.
25. Scullion, M. G., T. F. Krauss, and A. Di Falco, "Slotted photonic crystal sensors," Sensors (Switzerland), Vol. 13, 3675, 2013.
26. Almeida, V. R., Q. Xu, C. A. Barrios, and M. Lipson, "Guiding and confining light in void nanostructure," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, 1209, 2004.
27. Di Falco, A., L. O. Faolain, and T. F. Krauss, "Photonic crystal slotted slab waveguides," Photonics Nanostructures - Fundam. Appl., 38, 2008.
28. Soref, R., "Mid-infrared photonics in silicon and germanium," Nat. Photonics, Vol. 4, 495, 2010.
29. Goyal, A. K., H. S. Dutta, and S. Pal, "Recent advances and progress in photonic crystal-based gas sensors," J. Phys. D. Appl. Phys., Vol. 50, 2017.
30. Kassa-Baghdouche, L. and E. Cassan, "Mid-infrared gas sensor based on high-Q/V point-defect photonic crystal nanocavities," Opt. Quantum Electron., 2020.
31. Zouache, T. and A. Hocini, "Mid-infrared micro-displacement measurement with a bidimensional silicon photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 91, 77-83, 2020.
32. Rostamian, A., E. Madadi-Kandjani, H. Dalir, V. J. Sorger, and R. T. Chen, "Towards lab-on-chip ultrasensitive ethanol detection using photonic crystal waveguide operating in the mid-infrared," Nanophotonics, Vol. 10, 1675, 2021.
33. Barrios, C. A., K. B. Gylfason, B. Sánchez, A. Griol, H. Sohlström, M. Holgado, and R. Casquel, "Slot-waveguide biochemical sensor," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, 3080, 2007.
34. Zou, Y., S. Chakravarty, P. Wray, and R. T. Chen, "Mid-infrared holey and slotted photonic crystal waveguides in silicon-on-sapphire for chemical warfare simulant detection," Sensors Actuators, B Chem., Vol. 221, 1094, 2015.
35. Zou, Y., H. Subbaraman, S. Chakravarty, X. Xu, A. Hosseini, W.-C. Lai, and R. T. Chen, "Integrated strip and slot waveguides in silicon-on-sapphire for mid infrared VOC detection in water," Conference on Silicon Photonics IX, Vol. 8990, 89900X, 2014.
36. Zou, Y., H. Subbaraman, S. Chakravarty, X. Xu, A. Hosseini, W.-C. Lai, and R. T. Chen, "Grating-coupled silicon-on-sapphire integrated slot waveguides operating at mid-infrared wavelengths," Opt. Lett., Vol. 39, 3070, 2014.
37. Turduev, M., I. H. Giden, C. Babayi, H. Kurt, and K. Staliunas, "Chemical mid-infrared T-shaped photonic crystal waveguide for optical refractive index sensing," Sensors Actuators B Chem., Vol. 245, 765, 2017.
38. Tayoub, H., A. Hocini, and A. Harhouz, "Mid-infrared refractive index sensor based on a 2D photonic crystal coupled cavity-two waveguides," Instrum. Mes. Metrologie, Vol. 18, 165, 2019.
39. Qiu, M., "Effective index method for heterostructure-slab-waveguide-based two-dimensional photonic crystals," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 1163, 10, 2002.
40. Vakili, M. and M. Noori, "Highly efficient elliptical microcavity refractive index sensor with single detection unit," Opt. Quantum Electron., Vol. 51, 1, 2019.
41. Dutta, H. S. and S. Pal, "Design of a highly sensitive photonic crystal waveguide platform for refractive index based biosensing," Opt. Quantum Electron., Vol. 45, 907, 2013.
42. Pal, S., E. Guillermain, R. Sriram, B. Miller, and P. M. Fauchet, "Microcavities in photonic crystal waveguides for biosensor applications," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 7553, 755304, 2010.
43. Mohammed, N. A., M. M. Hamed, A. A. M. Khalaf, A. Alsayyari, and S. El-Rabaie, "High-sensitivity ultra-quality factor and remarkable compact blood components biomedical sensor based on nanocavity coupled photonic crystal," Results Phys., Vol. 14, 102478, 2019.
44. Gas-Cell, C. P., W. Ye, Z. Tu, X. Xiao, A. Simeone, J. Yan, T. Wu, F. Wu, C. Zheng, and F. K. Tittel, "A NDIR mid-infrared methane sensor with a compact pentahedron gas-cell," Sensors, Vol. 20, 2020.
45. Del, R., P. Moreira, C. Roberto, and D. S. Filho, "Detection of methane plumes using airborne midwave infrared (3-5 μm) hyperspectral data," Remote Sens., Vol. 2, 1, 2018.
46. Kassa-Baghdouche, L. and E. Cassan, "Mid-infrared refractive index sensing using optimized slotted photonic crystal waveguides," Photonics Nanostructures - Fundam. Appl., Vol. 28, 32, 2017.