This paper proposes a conformal multiple band four port MIMO antenna for next generation vehicular communications in the extended UWB. The single element consists of a monopole antenna resembling a U-shaped structure with two branches folded and complimentary to each other. It uses coplanar waveguide feeding with a defected ground structure. The antenna is printed on a Kapton Polyamide flexible substrate having a thickness of 0.25 mm. The antenna has dimensions of 0.8λ x 0.8λ x 0.001λ. It resonates at 2.6 GHz, 3.9 GHz and 5.6 GHz which are used in vehicular communications, and can be used in sub-6 GHz 5G applications. It also provides band notches at 2.1 GHz, 3.5 GHz and 4.5 GHz which enables it to mitigate the interferences from any narrow band devices operating in that range. All MIMO parameters are simulated and compared with the measured results, and are found to be in good agreement. The designed antenna can be mounted at any position of the vehicle as it has a conformal structure.
1. Kalyan, K. S. and C. Anirban, "Design of a right-handed circularly polarized printed antenna for vehicular communication," Wireless Pers. Comm., Vol. 121, No. 4, 2735-2756, 2021. doi:10.1007/s11277-021-08846-w
2. Riccardo, F. C., et al., "3D automotive antenna for 5G and V2X communications," 2021 XXXIVth General Assembly and Scientific Symposium of the International Union of Radio Science, 1-4, 2021.
3. Imran, A. Z. M., et al., "Design of microstrip patch antenna to deploy unmanned aerial vehicle as UE in 5G wireless network," Int. J. of Electrical & Computer Eng., Vol. 11, No. 5, 4202-4213, 2021.
4. Stefano, L., et al., "Millimeter wave automotive antenna for 5G communications," 2021 XXXIVth General Assembly and Scient Symposium of the Int Union of Radio Science, 2021.
5. Sujanthnarayan, K. G., et al., "Design of a CPW fed compact MIMO antenna for next generation vehicle to everything (V2X) communication," Wireless Pers. Comm., Vol. 120, No. 3, 2021.
6. Bhakkiyalakshmi, R. and M. S. Vasanthi, "Novel four-port reconfigurable filtering MIMO antenna for multi-standard automotive communications," AEU --- Int. J. Electronics and Comm., Vol. 146, 154108, 2022.
7. Liu, F., "A stochastic confocal ellipsoid channel model for high speed railway MIMO communication systems," Phy. Comm., Vol. 52, 101616.1-101616.6, 2022.
8. Prabhu, P. and S. Malarvizhi, "Design and packaging of polarization diversity 3D-UWB MIMO antenna with dual band notch characteristics for vehicular communication applications," AEU --- Int. J. Electronics and Comm., Vol. 138, No. 16, 153869, 2021.
9. Wang, W., et al., "Compact quad-element vertically-polarized high-isolation wideband MIMO antenna for vehicular base station," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Tech., Vol. 69, No. 9, 10000-10008, 2020. doi:10.1109/TVT.2020.3004647
10. Ajay Kumar, D., et al., "Circularly polarized quad-port MIMO dielectric resonator antenna with beam tilting feature for vehicular communication," IETE Tech. Review, Vol. 39, No. 2, 389-401, 2022. doi:10.1080/02564602.2020.1862714
11. Venkateswararao, M., et al., "CSRR-loaded T-shaped MIMO antenna for 5G cellular networks and vehicular communications," Int. J. RF and Microwave Comput.-Aided. Eng., Vol. 29, No. 1, 14 pages, v.
12. Saritha, V. and C. Chandrasekhar, "A study and review on frequency band notch characteristics in reconfigurable MIMO-UWB antennas," Wireless Pers. Comm., Vol. 118, No. 4, 2631-2661, 2021. doi:10.1007/s11277-021-08147-2
13. Saritha, V. and C. Chandrasekhar, "A compact wide band MIMO antenna with Quadruple Notches in UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 108, 237-247, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM22012101
14. Pravallika, I., et al., "Analysis and design of a low profile multiband antenna for IoT applications," Int. J. Innovative Tech. and Exploring Eng., Vol. 8, No. 4, 535-539, 2019.
15. Yu, Z., Z. Lin, X. Ran, Y. Li, B. Liang, and X. Wang, "A novel "回" pane structure multiband microstrip antenna for 2G/3G/4G/5G/WLAN/navigation applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2021, Article ID 5567417, 15 pages, 2021.
16. Xie, T., J. Yu, Y. Li, Z. Yu, and Z. Lin, "A Novel "回" pattern branch antenna for 3G\4G\WLAN\bluetooth\navigation application," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2021, Article ID 1559519, 7 pages, 2021.