In the paper, a compact single-fed wide-beamwidth circularly polarized (CP) antenna is proposed. The main radiator of the antenna is a bent dielectric resonator (DR), which is conformal to a rectangle substrate with the same curvature and is excited through a crossed-two-ring slotted ground fed by a T-shaped feeding line. By bending the DR to different curvatures, the half-power bandwidth (HPBW) of the dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) can be adjusted. Besides, to improve the 3-dB axial ratio (AR) beamwidth, as well as further enhance the HPBW, a copper reflector is inserted below the DRA. A prototype operating in BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) B1 band (1.561 GHz) was designed, and measurement was done to verify the simulations. Measurement results show that from 1.55 GHz to 1.58 GHz, the return loss is more than 10 dB and the AR is less than 3 dB. At 1.561 GHz, the measured 3-dB AR beamwidths are 165° and 210° at xoz and yoz planes, respectively, while the HPBWs are 143° and 154° at the two planes.
"Single-Fed Wide-Beamwidth Circularly Polarized Antenna Using Reflector-Loaded Bent Dielectric Resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 109, 65-73, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL22112803
1. Ferrero, F., C. Luxey, G. Jacquemod, and R. Staraj, "Dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna for satellite applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 13-15, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.841622
2. Harouni, Z., L. Cirio, L. Osman, A. Gharsallah, and O. Picon, "A dual circularly polarized 2.45-GHz rectenna for wireless power transmission," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 306-309, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2141973
3. Wang, S., X. Zhang, L. Zhu, and W. Wu, "Single-fed wide-beamwidth circularly polarized patch antenna using dual-function 3-D printed substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 4, 649-653, Apr. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2810105
4. Sun, Y.-X., K. W. Leung, and J. Ren, "Dual-band circularly polarized antenna with wide axial ratio beamwidths for upper hemispherical coverage," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 58132-58138, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2875029
5. Zheng, D., Y. Luo, and Q. Chu, "Cavity-backed self-phased circularly polarized multidipole antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1998-2001, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2692769
6. Liu, S., D. Yang, and J. Pan, "A low-profile circularly polarized metasurface antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 7, 1438-1442, Jul. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2919533
7. Liu, H., C. Xun, S.-J. Fang, and Z. Wang, "Compact dual-band circularly polarized patch antenna with wide 3-dB axial ratio beamwidth for BeiDou applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 87, 103-113, 2019.
8. Liu, H., Y. Zhang, Y. Wang, S. Fang, and Z. Wang, "Circular polarized patch antenna with wide 3-dB axial ratio beamwidth and suppressed backward cross-polarized radiation for high-precision marine navigation applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 15, No. 11, 1393-1401, Oct. 2021. doi:10.1049/mia2.12121
10. Ray, M. K., K. Mandal, and N. Nasimuddin, "Low-profile circularly polarized patch antenna with wide 3 dB beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 12, 2473-2477, Dec. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2940703
11. Zhang, X., L. Zhu, and N. Liu, "Pin-loaded circularly-polarized patch antennas with wide 3-dB axial ratio beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 2, 521-528, Feb. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2632728
12. Mu, C., S. Fang, H. Liu, Z. Wang, and S. Fu, "3-D-printed dielectric lens with cone-shaped cavity for axial ratio beamwidth enhancement of circularly polarized patch antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 105062-105071, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2931938
13. He, S. and J. Deng, "Compact and single-feed circularly polarised microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth and axial-ratio beamwidth," Electron. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 15, 1013-1015, Jul. 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2017.1030
14. Pan, Z., W. Lin, and Q. Chu, "Compact wide-beam circularly-polarized microstrip antenna with a parasitic ring for CNSS application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 2847-2850, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2307348
15. Liu, H., C. Xun, S. Fang, and Z. Wang, "Beamwidth-enhanced low-profile dual-band circular polarized patch antenna for CNSS applications," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2019, Art. no. 7630815, 2019.
16. Feng, B., L. Li, K. L. Chung, and Y. Li, "Wideband widebeam dual circularly polarized magnetoelectric dipole antenna/array with meta-columns loading for 5G and beyond," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 69, No. 1, 219-228, Jan. 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.3008632
17. Ye, X., M. He, P. Zhou, and H. Sun, "A compact single-feed circularly polarized microstrip antenna with symmetric and wide-beamwidth radiation pattern," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2013, Art. no. 106516, 2013.
18. Liu, H., M. Shi, S. Fang, and Z. Wang, "Design of low-prole dual-band printed quadrilar helix antenna with wide beamwidth for UAV GPS applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 157541-157548, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3018906
19. Sun, Y., K. W. Leung, and K. Lu, "Broadbeam cross-dipole antenna for GPS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 10, 5605-5610, Oct. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2742585
20. Yuan, Y., M. Wang, Y. Yin, and W. Wu, "Wide-beam circularly polarized microstrip antenna with high front-to-back ratio for CNSS application," Proc. Sixth Asia-Pacic Conf. Antennas Propag., 2017.
21. Liu, H., C. Mu, T. Yan, S. Fang, G. Wang, and Z. Wang, "Dielectric lens with stacked cone-shaped cavity for broadside radiation enhancement of circularly polarized patch antenna," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., 2020.