A low-cost and mechanical reconfigurable substrate integrate waveguide (SIW) equalizer is presented and studied in this work. Different from the previous SIW equalizers using Tantalum Nitride (TaN) or absorbing material as the resistive element, the indium tin oxides (ITO) are introduced into SIW equalizer. The absorbing material will deform under uneven pressure due to the structural softness of material, resulting in instable equalizing values. Compared with the absorbing material, ITO provides more structural stability, excellent high frequency characteristic, and can be easily integrated with traditional printed circuit board (PCB). Furthermore, an equalizer with reconfigurable equalizing values can be realized by adjusting ITO materials with different impedances. A SIW equalizer based on the ITO Conductive Film, operating from 26 to 40 GHz, has been designed, fabricated and experimentally verified. For measurement results, the return losses are better than -17.4 dB with 3, 6, and 10 dB equalizing values respectively over the entire Ka-band, and the insertion losses at the frequency point of 40 GHz are -2.89 dB, -4.80 dB, and -7.37 dB, respectively. The proposed equalizer presents the advantages of mechanical reconfigurable, low cost, and high stability. In addition, ITO Conductive Film is a good candidate for the design of high millimeter-wave band equalizer.
"Low-Cost Substrate Integrated Waveguide Equalizer Based on the Indium Tin Oxides Conductive Film," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 110, 21-28, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23013001
1. Bera, C. S., "Amplitude tilt active equalizer for frequency and temperature compensation," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 7, 344-346, 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2152385
2. Zhou, T. and J. Huang, "A novel wideband microwave gain equalizer using SIR branch lines," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2014.
3. Wang, H., B. Yan, Z. Wang, and R.-M. Xu, "A broadband microwave gain equalizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 63-72, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12052309
4. He, H. H. and X. Lei, "Microwave LTCC equalizer based on composite right/left-handed structure," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communication Problem-Solving (ICCP), 274-277, IEEE, 2016.
5. Zhou, P., X. Xie, J. Xie, et al. "A new research of broadband microwave gain equalizer," International Workshop on Microwave & Millimeter Wave Circuits & System Technology, 1-4, IEEE, 2012.
6. Xu, J., D. Zhou, D. Lv, et al. "A novel microwave equalizer using substrate integrated waveguide concept," 2011 China-Japan Joint Microwave Conference, 1-3, IEEE, 2011.
7. Wang, S., Y. Wang, D. Zhang, et al. "Design of tunable equalizers using multilayered half mode substrate integrated waveguide structures added absorbing pillars," Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 4, 1-7, 2015.
8. Peng, H., F. Zhao, J. Dong, et al. "Substrate integrated waveguide equalizers and attenuators with surface resistance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, No. 4, 1487-1495, 2020. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2958267
9. Peng, H., S. Huang, Y. Wu, et al. "Low cost/insertion loss substrate-integrated waveguide equalizer based on absorbing materials," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 11, No. 11, 1948-1954, 2021. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2021.3113978
10. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839303
11. Kim, H., J. S. Horwitz, A. Pique, et al. "Effect of film thickness on the properties of indium tin oxide thin film grown by pulsed-laser deposition for organic light-emitting diodes," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 88, No. 10, 6021-6025, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.1318368
12. Kim, H., C. M. Gilmore, A. Pique, et al. "Electrical, optical, and structural properties of indium-tin-oxide thin films for organic light-emitting devices," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 86, No. 11, 6451-6451, 1999. doi:10.1063/1.371708
13. Li, D., X. Hu, B. Gao, W.-Y. Yin, H. Chen, and H. Qian, "Highly transparent tunable microwave perfect absorption for broadband microwave shielding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 176, 35-44, 2022.
14. Sun, G., B. Muneer, Q. Zhu, et al. "A study of microstrip antenna made of transparent ITO films," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1867-1868, 2014.
15. Jia, W., M. Liu, Y. Lu, et al. "Broadband terahertz wave generation from an epsilon-near-zero material," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 10, No. 11, 2021.