A novel wideband circularly polarized (CP) dipole antenna for RFID/WiMAX/WLAN applications is presented. A pair of crossed fan-shaped dipoles printed on both sides of the substrate are used as the primary radiating elements. The antenna achieves circular polarization by using a 90° phase shifted microstrip line between the dipoles. By changing the edge of fan dipoles into Minkowski fractal curve, miniaturization and wide bandwidth of the antenna can be realized. Besides, incorporating the U-slot into the fractal crossed dipoles can obtain a wider bandwidth. The test results show that the proposed antenna achieves a wide impedance bandwidth of 63.2% (1.9-3.7 GHz) for VSWR < 2 and a 3-dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidth of 42.9% (2.2-3.4 GHz). The maximum gain in the operating frequency band can reach 7 dBi. The proposed antenna has good radiation characteristics in both low and high frequencies, which makes it a candidate for applications of RFID, WLAN, WiMAX, and other communication systems.
"Wideband Circular Polarized Fractal Antenna for RFID/WiMAX
/WLAN Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 111, 111-120, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23032601
1. Sarkar, S. and B. Gupta, "A dual-band circularly polarized antenna with a dual-band AMC reflector for RFID readers," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 5, 796-800, 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.2980325
2. Gautam, V. A. K., L. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Rambabu, "Design of compact F-shaped slot triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 64, No. 3, 1101-1105, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2513099
3. Zhang, H., Y.-C. Jiao, T. Ni, and W.-L. Liang, "Broadband circularly polarised antenna with asymmetric ground and L-shaped strips," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, 1660-1662, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.2989
4. Wei, W. Y., Y. Shi, Q. W. Wu, Z. K. Meng, and Z. Q. Liu, "Wideband composite planar spiral antenna for generation of tunable angular momentum wave," Opt. Express, Vol. 29, No. 3, 3754-3763, 2021. doi:10.1364/OE.414163
5. Jung, J. S., J. N. Lee, J. M. Kim, and J. K. Park, "An UHF RFID reader antenna with multitag identification for extremely low-temperature medical systems," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2020, Article ID 2482961, 11 pages, 2020.
6. Wang, L., W.-X. Fang, W.-H. Shao, B. Yao, Y. Huang, and Y.-F. En, "Broadband circularly polarized cross-dipole antenna with multiple modes," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 66489-66494, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2981050
7. Yuan, Y., Q. Wu, S. N. Burokur, and K. Zhang, "Chirality-assisted phase metasurface for circular polarization preservation and independent hologram imaging in microwave region," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1-4, Early Access, 2023.
8. Li, J., Y. Yuan, G. Yang, Q. Wu, W. Zhang, S. N. Burokur, and K. Zhang, "Hybrid dispersion engineering based on chiral metamirror," Laser Photonics Rev., Vol. 17, 2200777, 2023. doi:10.1002/lpor.202200777
9. Gorai, A., M. Pal, and R. Ghatak, "A compact fractal-shaped antenna for ultrawideband and bluetooth wireless systems with WLAN rejection functionality," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2163-2166, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2702208
10. Bhaskar, S., M. G. Siddiqui, S. Singhal, and A. Bansal, "Miniaturized circularly polarized vicsekcross-shaped slot antenna for UHF-RFID reader handset applications," IEEE J. Radio Freq. Identif., Vol. 6, 515-523, 2022. doi:10.1109/JRFID.2022.3195031
11. Xu, Y., K.-M. Luk, A. Li, and J. Sun, "A novel compact magneto-electric dipole antenna for millimeter-wave beam steering applications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 70, No. 11, 11772-11783, Nov. 2021. doi:10.1109/TVT.2021.3114217
12. Fan, T.-Q., B. Jiang, R. Liu, J. Xiu, Y. Lin, and H. Xu, "A novel double U-slot microstrip patch antenna design for low-profile and broad bandwidth applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 70, No. 4, 2543-2549, Apr. 2022. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3125382
13. Radavaram, S. and M. Pour, "Wideband radiation reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna loaded with two inverted U-slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 67, No. 3, 1501-1508, Mar. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2885433
14. Yan, B., W. Sheng, L. Sun, and Z. N. Chen, "Wideband wide-scanning planar triangular-lattice phased array with substrate-integrated cavity-backed U-slot patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 69, No. 9, 6082-6086, Sept. 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3070211