In this paper, a planar wideband antenna array with wide scanning angle in both E- and H-planes is proposed. The dipole antenna is used as an essential element of the array. To enlarge the scanning angle of the array, two layers of frequency selective surface (FSS) superstrates are loaded on the top of the antenna elements. A conducting-patch with shorting pins is loaded under the unit patch to enlarge the bandwidth of the array. Both simulated and measured results have confirmed that the proposed antenna array can scan up to 85° and 70° in the E- and H-planes from 8 GHz to 11 GHz, respectively.
"Design of a Wideband Wide Scanning Phased Antenna Array with FSS Superstrates," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 112, 41-47, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23070101
1. Kavitha, B. S. and I. J. Raglend, "A wide-scan phased array antenna for a small active electronically scanned array: A review," Proc. International Conference on Circuits, Power and Computing Technologies (ICCPCT), 1008-1016, Nagercoil, India, 2013.
2. Bai, Y., S. Xiao, M. Tang, Z. Ding, and B. Wang, "Wide-angle scanning phased array with pattern reconfigurable elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4071-4076, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2164176
3. Doane, J. P., K. Sertel, and J. Volakis, "A wideband, wide scanning tightly coupled dipole array with integrated balun (TCDA-IB)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 9, 4538-4548, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2267199
4. Yetisir, E., N. Ghalichechian, and J. L. Volakis, "Ultra-wideband array with 70◦ scanning using FSS superstrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 10, 4256-4265, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2594817
5. Li, M., S. Xiao, and B. Wang, "Investigation of using high impedance surfaces for wide-angle scanning arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 7, 2895-2901, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2421936
6. Li, Y. and S. Xiao, "Wideband wide-angle scanning phased array based on miniaturized metasurface antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 70, No. 2, 1107-1119, 2022. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3111301
7. Yang, G., J. Li, S. G. Zhou, and Y. Qi, "A wide-angle E-plane scanning linear array antenna with wide beam elements," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2923-2926, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2752713
8. Dai, C. L. and L. Gan, "A dual-polarized wide-angle scanning antenna with high isolation for Van Atta applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 103, 81-88, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL22011803