From the perspective of motor control and manufacturing process, the application of fault-tolerant permanent magnet rim driven motor (FTPM-RDM) in shaftless rim driven thruster (RDT) can avoid the complicated shafting structure in traditional propulsion system effectively, and realize the sensorless control while reducing volume. Referring to the fault-tolerant structure features, this paper introduces an improved sensorless control algorithm based on two-stage second-order generalized integral (SOGI) pulsating high-frequency (HF) voltage injection which is applied to the FTPM-RDM in zero and low speed. This algorithm can realize the rotor position estimation under fault and healthy condition. Based on pulsating HF injection method, HF square-wave voltages are injected in the virtual dq axis, and the initial rotor position can be extracted from the response currents of stationary reference frame (SRF). The sinusoidal voltage is injected into the virtual $dq$ axis, and use two-stage SOGI instead of the traditional filter is used to realize the current modulation without delay in low speed rotor position estimation. Combining the simulation and experiments, the proposed sensorless control strategy can estimate the rotor position accurately whether in failure or not and has good dynamic and static performance.
"Study on Sensorless Control of Six Phase Fault-Tolerant Permanent Magnet Rim Driven Motor with Improved Second-Order SOGI HF Voltage Injection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 245-259, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23071703
1. Yang, Z., X. Yan, and W. Ouyang, "A review of electric motor and control technology for rim-driven thruster," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 37, No. 12, 2949-2960, 2022.
2. Yan, X., X. Liang, W. Ouyang, Z. Liu, B. Liu, and J. Lan, "A review of progress and applications of ship shaft-less rim-driven thrusters," Ocean Engineering, Vol. 144, 142-156, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.oceaneng.2017.08.045
3. Shen, Y., P. Hu, and S. Jin, "Design of novel shaftless pump-jet propulsor for multipurpose long- range and high-speed autonomous underwater vehicle," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1-4, 2016. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2016.2522822
4. Richardson, K. M., C. Pollock, and J. O. Flower, "Design of a switched reluctance sector motor for an integrated motor/propeller unit," International Conference on Electrical Machines & Drives, 271-275, Durham, UK, 1995. doi:10.1049/cp:19950877
5. Hassannia, A. and A. Darabi, "Design and performance analysis of superconducting rim-driven synchronous motors for marine propulsion," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 24, No. 1, 40-46, 2016. doi:10.1109/TASC.2013.2280346
6. Hang, J., W. Sun, Q. Hu, X. Ren, and S. Ding, "Integration of interturn fault diagnosis and fault-tolerant control for PMSM drive system," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2825-2835, 2022. doi:10.1109/TTE.2021.3134821
7. Ma, R., J. Zhu, Q. Lin, and Y. Zhang, "Influence of winding distribution on fault tolerant performance in a fault-tolerant permanent magnet rim driven motor," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 183236-183244, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2960385
8. Qiao, T., J. Zhu, and X. Wang, "Design and optimization of a flux-modulated fault-tolerant permanent magnet rim-driven machine with combined stator to improve torque density," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 38, No. 1, 75-88, 2023. doi:10.1109/TEC.2022.3210266
9. Teymoori, V., M. Kamper, R.-J. Wang, and R. Kennel, "Sensorless control of dual three-phase permanent magnet synchronous machines --- A review," Energies, Vol. 16, No. 3, 1326, 2023. doi:10.3390/en16031326
10. Wang, G., M. Valla, and J. Solsona, "Position sensorless permanent magnet synchronous machine drives --- A review," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 67, No. 7, 5830-5842, 2020. doi:10.1109/TIE.2019.2955409
11. Tir, Z., T. Orlowska-Kowalska, H. Ahmed, and A. Houari, "Adaptive high gain observer based MRAS for sensorless induction motor drives," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 71, No. 1, 271-281, 2024. doi:10.1109/TIE.2023.3243271
12. Benevieri, A., A. Formentini, M. Marchesoni, M. Passalacqua, and L. Vaccaro, "Sensorless control with switching frequency square wave voltage injection for SPMSM with low rotor magnetic anisotropy," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 38, No. 8, 10060-10072, 2023. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2023.3270357
13. Wen, D., W. Wang, and Y. Zhang, "Sensorless control of permanent magnet synchronous motor in full speed range," Chinese Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 2, 97-107, 2022. doi:10.23919/CJEE.2022.000018
14. Ye, S. and X. Yao, "An enhanced SMO-based permanent-magnet synchronous machine sensorless drive scheme with current measurement error compensation," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 4, 4407-4419, 2021. doi:10.1109/JESTPE.2020.3038859
15. Shuang, B. and Z.-Q. Zhu, "Simultaneous sensorless rotor position and torque estimation for IPMSM at standstill and low speed based on high-frequency square wave voltage injection," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 69, No. 9, 8791-8802, 2022. doi:10.1109/TIE.2021.3114725
16. Pacha, M. and S. Zossak, "Improved simple I-F open-loop start-up of PMSM drives without speed or position sensor," 2019 IEEE 10th International Symposium on Sensorless Control for Electrical Drives (SLED), 1-6, 2019.
17. Zhang, G., G. Wang, and D. Xu, "Saliency-based position sensorless control methods for PMSM drives --- A review," Chinese Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, 14-23, 2017. doi:10.23919/CJEE.2017.8048408
18. Sun, J. J., Q. Zhu, Y. Zhou, and J. Zhao, "Open-circuit fault diagnosis of voltage source inverters for PMSM drive system using sine-wave injection method," 2021 33rd Chinese Control and Decision Conference (CCDC), 4598-4603, 2021.
19. Liu, J., Y. Zhang, H. Yang, and W. Shen, "Position sensorless control of PMSM drives based on HF sinusoidal pulsating voltage injection," 2020 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 3849-3853, 2020. doi:10.1109/ECCE44975.2020.9236162
20. Lu, Q., Y. Wang, L. Mo, and T. Zhang, "Pulsating high frequency voltage injection strategy for sensorless permanent magnet synchronous motor drives," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 31, No. 8, 1-4, 2021.
21. Geng, Q., Z. Li, M. Zhang, Z. Zhou, H. Wang, and T. Shi, "Sensorless control method for dual permanent magnet synchronous motors driven by five-leg voltage source inverter," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 1, 260-272, 2022. doi:10.1109/JESTPE.2021.3096198
22. Rahman, A. A., A. Galassini, M. Degano, et al. "Open and short circuit post-fault control strategies for multi-three-phase interior permanent magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 37, No. 1, 163-174, 2022. doi:10.1109/TEC.2021.3090982
23. Gu, L., Q. Chen, W. Zhao, G. Liu, and Y. Xia, "Inter-phase short-circuit fault-tolerant control for five-phase permanent magnet fault-tolerant motors," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 37, No. 8, 1972-1981, 2022.
24. Zhu, J., H. Bai, X. Wang, and X. Li, "Current vector control strategy in a dual-winding fault-tolerant permanent magnet motor drive," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 33, No. 4, 2191-2199, 2018. doi:10.1109/TEC.2018.2876512