The discrete complex image method is one of the most prominent techniques that handle the Sommerfeld integrals encountered in the integral equation formulations of multilayered media. The extraction of surface waves extends the validity of the method to the far field. These surface waves are expressed in terms of Hankel functions that suffers a singularity problem at the origin which contaminates the results in the near field. In this work,w e use a formulation developed recently by the author to derive a new expression for the surface waves. The new expression is shown to obviate the singularity of the Hankel functions at the origin,and hence leads to accurate results in the near field.
2. Michalski, K. A. and J. R. Mosig, "Multila yered media Green's functions in integral equation formulations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 508-519, 1997.
3. Fang, D. G. and J. J. Yang G. Y. Delisle, "Discrete image theory for horizontal electric dipoles in a multilayered medium," IEE Proc., Vol. 135, 297-303, 1988.
4. Yang, J. J., Y. L. Chow, and D. G. Fang, "Discrete complex images of a threedimensional dipole above and within a lossy ground," IEE Proc., Vol. 138, 319-326, 1991.
5. Hua, Y. and T. K. Sarkar, "Generalized pencil-of-function method for extracting poles of an EM system from its transient response," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, 229-234, 1989.
6. Chow, Y. L., J. J. Yang, D. G. Fang, and G. E. Howard, "A closedform spatial Green's function for the thick microstrip substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, 588-592, 1991.
7. Aksun, A. K., "A robust approach for the derivation of closed-form Green's functions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, 651-658, 1996.
8. Abdelmageed, A. K., "closed-form expression of the nonsymmetrical components of Green's function for multilayered media ," Electromagn., Vol. 22, 59-70, 2002.
9. Hojjat, N., S. Safavi-Naeini, and Y. L. Chow, "Numerical computation of complex image Green's functions for multilayer dielectric media: Near-field zone and the interface region," IEE Proc. Microwaves, Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 145, 449-454, 1998.
10. Ling, F. and J. M. Jin, "Discrete complex image method for Green's functions of general multilayer media," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 10, 400-402, 2000.
11. Abdelmageed, A. K. and A. Mohsen, "An accurate computation of Green's functions for multilayered media in the near-field region," Microwave & Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 29, 130-131, 2001.
12. Abdelmageed, A. K. and M. S. Ibrahim, "On enhancing the accuracy of evaluating Green's functions for multilayered media in the near-field region," Prog. in Electromag. Res. M, Vol. 2, 1-14, 2008.
13. Michalski, K. A. and D. Zheng, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation by surfaces of arbitrary shape in layered media, Part I: Theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, 335-344, 1990.
14. King, R. W. P., M. Owens, and T. T. Wu, Lateral Electromagnetic Waves, 653-659, Harp er & Row, New York, 1992.
15. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, "Handbook of Mathematical Functions," Dover, New York, 1965.