In this paper, we present results of characterization of a bifacial silicon solar cell, under multispectral steady state illumination, using finite elementmethod (FEM). The illumination level (n) and back surface recombination velocities (Sb) effects on solar cell electrical parameters have been highlighted. After solving the continuity equation that describes the solar cell operation, the excess minority carrier's density and current-voltage characteristics are determined for various values of illumination level and recombination velocities on the junction and the back surface of the solar cell. The results obtained are in agreement with those given by analytical methods and prove that the photovoltaic cells can be analyzed only by numerical methods, such asthe FEM, characterized by their robustness and flexibility in their applicationsin a context where those methods take more and more importancein the development of Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools.
Camille Nziengui Mabika,
"Characterization of a Bifacial Silicon Solar Cell Under Multispectral Steady State Illumination Using Finite Element Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 53, 131-140, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM16090204
1. Ly, I., O. H. Lemrabott, B. Dieng, I. Gaye, S. Gueye, M. S. Diouf, and G. Sissoko, "Techniques de détermination des paramètres de recombinaison et le domaine de leur validité d’une photopile bifaciale au silicium polycristallin souséclairement multi spectral constant en régime statique," Revue des Energies Renouvelables, Vol. 15, No. 2, 187-206, 2012.
2. Gueye, S., H. Ly. Diallo, M. Ndiaye, M. M. Dione, and G. Sissoko, "Effect of the boundary recombination velocity and the grain size at the phenomenological parameters of the monofacialsolar cells under multispectral illumination in steady state," International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 12, 1-8, 2013.
3. Souleymane Dia, F., O. Diasse, R. S. Sam, H. L. Diallo, B. Dieng, N. Thiam, S. Mbodji, and G. Sissoko, "1D modeling study of series and shunt resistances of silicon solar cell in steady state operating condition and under polychromatic illumination," International Journal of Advanced Technology & Engineering Research, Vol. 2, No. 6, 18-23, 2012.
4. Hamidou, A., A. Diao, S. A. Douani, A. Moissi, M. Thiame, F. Barro, and G. Sissoko, "Capacitance determination of a vertical parallel junction solar cell under multispectral illumination in steady state," International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 3, 1-4, 2013.
5. Nzonzolo, D. Lilonga-Boyenga, and G. Sissoko, "Illumination level effects on macroscopic parameters of a bifacial solar cell," Energy and Power Engineering, Vol. 6, 25-36, 2014. doi:10.4236/epe.2014.63004
6. Ern, A., Aide memoireEléménts Finis, Dunod, Paris, 2005.
7. Sadiku, M. N. O., Numerical Techniques in Electromagnetics, 2nd Ed., Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data CRC Press, Boca Raton, London, New York, Washington, 2001.
8. Diasse, O., R. S. Sam, H. L. Diallo, M. Ndiaye, N. Thiam, S. Mbodji, and G. Sissoko, "Solar cell's classification by the determination of the specific values of the back surface recombination velocities in open circuit and short-circuit operating conditions," International Journal of Emerging Trends & Technology in Computer Science, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2012.
9. El Moujtaba, M. A. O., M. Ndiaye, A. Diao, M. Thiame, I. F. Barro, and G. Sissoko, "Theoretical study of the influence of irradiation on a silicon solar cell under multispectral illumination," Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 23, 5068-5073, 2012.
10. Diasse, O., R. S. Sam, H. L. Diallo, M. Ndiaye, N. Thiam, S. Mbodji, and G. Sissoko, "Solar cell's classification by the determination of the specific values of the back surface recombination velocities in open circuit and short-circuit operating conditions," International Journal of Emerging Trends & Technology in Computer Science, Vol. 1, No. 3, 55-59, 2012.