In this article, a compact dual-band antenna system for LTE-M (700-900 MHz) and LTE-2500 dedicated to mobile handsets is presented. The system consists of a dual-band Planar Inverted-F-Antenna (PIFA) for LTE-M and LTE-2500 bands where this designed PIFA is frequency reconfigurable in the LTE-M band. Additionally, another PIFA is designed to cover the LTE-2500 band to enable Multiple-Input-Multiple-Output (MIMO) communication for this band. Frequency reconfiguration between 700 MHz and 900 MHz is performed by a varactor diode biased from the RF port using a decoupling circuit to separate DC and RF signals. The compactness of the system and the good isolation between the two antennas were obtained thanks to the study of the characteristic modes of the mobile phone chassis, where the ideal positions of the antennas can be easily obtained. A prototype of our system was fabricated where good frequency reconfiguration and good MIMO performance (TARC and envelope correlation) were achieved.
1. Evans, D., "The internet of things. How the next evolution of the internet is changing everything," Cisco White Paper, 2011.
2. IoT Alliance Australia, Spectrum available for IoT, Work Stream 4, May 11, 2016.
3. Nokia, LTE-M-Optimizing LTE for the Internet of Things, White Paper on LTE-M, 2015.
4. Barreto, A. N., et al., "5G - Wireless communications for 2020," Journal of Communication and Information Systems, Vol. 31, No. 1, 146-163, 2016. doi:10.14209/jcis.2016.14
5. Ratasuk, R., N. Mangalvedhe, D. Bhatoolaul, and A. Ghosh, "LTE-M evolution towards 5G massive MTC," JIEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), 1-6, Singapore, 2017.
6. Huang, C., Y. C. Jiao, Z. B. Weng, and X. Li, "A planar multiband antenna based on CRLH-TL ZOR for 4G compact mobile terminal applications," 2018 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-3, Nanjing, 2018.
7. Chen, S.-C., J.-Y. Sze, Y. Chu, and C. Fu, "Reconfigurable LTE/WWAN antenna design," 2015 International Workshop on Electromagnetics: Applications and Student Innovation Competition (iWEM), 1-2, Hsin-Chu, Taiwan, 2015.
8. Lee, S. W. and Y. Sung, "Compact frequency reconfigurable antenna for LTE/WWAN mobile handset applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 10, 4572-4577, Oct. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2456940
9. Rouissi, I., J. Floch, and H. Trabelsi, "Design of frequency reconfigurable PIFA antenna with floating ground plane," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 5, 1-11, Feb. 2018. doi:10.17485/ijst/2018/v11i5/118872
10. Yang, L., B. Cheng, Y. Zhu, and Y. Li, "Compact antenna with frequency reconfigurability for GPS/LTE/WWAN mobile handset applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2016, Article ID 3976936, 8 pages, 2016.
11. Choi, M., H. Wi, B. Mun, Y. Yoon, H. Lee, and B. Lee, "A compact frequency reconfigurable antenna for LTE mobile handset applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2015, Article ID 764949, 10 pages, 2015.
12. Young, M. W., S. Yong, and J. T. Bernhard, "A miniaturized frequency reconfigurable antenna with single bias, dual varactor tuning," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, 946-951, Jan. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2388776
13. Yu, Y., J. Xiong, H. Li, and S. He, "An electrically small frequency reconfigurable antenna with a wide tuning range," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 103-106, Feb. 2011.
14. Keh, M. N. M., O. Quevedo-Teruel, and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Reconfigurable loaded planar inverted-F antenna using varactor diodes," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 466-468, May 2011.
15. Christina Josephine Malathi, A. and D. Thiripurasundari, "Review on isolation techniques in MIMO antenna systems," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 35, Sep. 2016. doi:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i35/96704
16. Cabedo-Fabres, M., E. Antonino-Daviu, A. Valero-Nogueira, and M. Bataller, "The theory of characteristic modes revisited: A contribution to the design of antennas for modern applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 5, 52-68, Oct. 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.4395295
17. Garbacz, R. J., "Modal expansions for resonance scattering phenomena," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 53, No. 8, 856-864, 1965. doi:10.1109/PROC.1965.4064
18. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabrés, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and M. Gallo, "Design of a multimode MIMO antenna using the theory of characteristic modes," Radioengineering, Vol. 18, No. 4, 6, 2009.
19. Szini, I., A. Tatomirescu, and G. F. Pedersen, "On small terminal MIMO antennas, harmonizing characteristic modes with ground plane geometry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1487-1497, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2398111
20. Chair, R., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Radiation efficiency analysis on small antenna by Wheeler cap method," Microwave Opt. Technology Letters, Vol. 33, No. 2, 112-113, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10247
21. Chae, S. H., S. Oh, and S.-O. Park, "Analysis of mutual coupling, correlations, and TARC inWiBro MIMO array antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 122-125, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.893109
22. Sharawi, M. S., "Printed MIMO antenna systems: Performance metrics, implementations and challenges," FERMAT, Vol. 11, 2014.
23. Votis, C., G. Tatsis, and P. Kostarakis, "Envelope correlation parameter measurements in a MIMO antenna array configuration," IJCNS, Vol. 3, No. 4, 350-354, 2010. doi:10.4236/ijcns.2010.34044