HF radar in ocean remote sensing makes use of electromagnetic waves of 10m to 100m wavelength from the rough sea surface to measure surface current and ocean wave parameter. Recently, a new time division multiple frequency HF radar system called OSMAR2009 has been developed by the Wuhan University. One main advantage of the system is that it is of great help in extracting current parameters and significant wave height. A further advantage is the ability to avoid interference. In addition, this technique offers the opportunity to measure the current shear. These advantages are gained by transmitting time division multiple frequency chirp instead of one frequency chirp. This paper introduces the technical design and the advantage of OSMAR2009 and describes the remote sensing experiment implemented in East China sea during 2009, followed by the field results and the brief analysis of such results.
"Remote Sensing with Tdmf Radar: Some Preliminary Results," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 14, 79-90, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10022405
1. Liang, D., P. Xu, L. Tsang, Z. Gui, and K.-S. Chen, "Electromagnetic scattering by rough surfaces with large heights and slopes with applications to microwave remote sensing of rough surface over layered media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 199-218, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09071413
2. Wu, Z.-S., J.-J. Zhang, and L. Zhao, "Composite electromagnetic scattering from the plate target above a one-dimensional sea surface: Taking the diffraction into account," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 317-331, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032902
3. Chen, H., M. Zhang, D. Nie, and H.-C. Yin, "Robust semi-deterministic facet model for fast estimation on EM scattering from ocean-like surface ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 347-363, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09100508
4. Yang, S., H. Ke, X. Wu, J. Tian, and J. Hou, "HF radar ocean current algorithm based on MUSIC and the validation experiments," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 3, 601-617, 2005. doi:10.1109/JOE.2005.858370
5. Teague, C. C., J. F. Vesecky, and Z. R. Hallock, "A comparison of multifrequency HF radar and ADCP measurements of near-surface currents during COPE-3," IEEE J. of Oceanic Eng., Vol. 26, No. 3, 399-405, July 2001. doi:10.1109/48.946513
6. Zhang, X., G. Feng, and D. Xu, "Blind direction of angle and time delay estimation algorithm for uniform linear array employing multi-invariance MUSIC," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 11-20, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL09102611
7. Mau, J.-C., D.-P. Wang, D. S. Ullman, and D. L. Codiga, "Comparison of observed (HF radar, ADCP) and model barotropic tidal currents in the New York bight and block island sound ," Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Vol. 72, 129-137, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.ecss.2006.10.011
8. Son, Y.-T., S.-H. Lee, C.-S. Kim, J. C. Lee, and G.-H. Lee, "Surface current variability in the Keum River Estuary (South Korea) during summer 2002 as observed by high-frequency radar and coastal monitoring buoy," Continental Shelf Research, Vol. 27, 43-63, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.csr.2006.08.008
9. Mau, J.-C., et al., "Model of the long island sound outflow: Comparison with year-long HF radar and doppler current observation," Continental Shelf Research, Vol. 28, 1791-1799, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.csr.2008.04.013
10. Barrick, D. E., "Dependence of second-order sidebands in HF sea echo upon sea state ," IEEE G-AP Int. Symp. Digest., 194-197, 1971.
11. Howell, R. and J. Walsh, "Measurement of ocean wave spectra using narrow-beam HF radar," IEEE J. Oceanic Eng., Vol. 18, 296-305, 1993. doi:10.1109/JOE.1993.236368
12. Green, J. J., "Discretising Barrick's equations," Proceedings of Wind over Waves II: Forecasting and Fundamentals of Applications, 219-232, S. G. Sajjadi and J. C. R. Hunt (eds.), IMA and Horwood, 2003.
13. Green, J. J. and L. R. Wyatt, "Row-action inversion of the Barrick-Weber equations," American Meteorological Society, March, 2006.
14. Essen, H. H., K. W. Gurgel, and T. Schlick, "On the accuracy of current measurements by means of HF radar," IEEE J. Oceanic Eng., Vol. 25, 472-480, 2000. doi:10.1109/48.895354
15. Emery, B. M., L. Washburn, and J. A. Harlan, "Evaluating radial current measurements from CODAR high-frequency radars with moored current meters," J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol., Vol. 21, 1259-1271, 2004. doi:10.1175/1520-0426(2004)021<1259:ERCMFC>2.0.CO;2
16. Shay, L. K., J. Martinez-Pedraja, T. M. Cook, and B. K. Haus, "High-frequency radar mapping of surface currents using WERA," J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol., Vol. 24, 484-503, 2007. doi:10.1175/JTECH1985.1
17. Poulain, P. M., R. Gerin, E. Mauri, and R. Pennel, "Wind effects on drogued and undrogued drifters in the eastern mediterranean," J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., Vol. 26, 1144-1156, 2009. doi:10.1175/2008JTECHO618.1