A planar sleeve dipole array antenna is analyzed and successfully implemented. The proposed antenna is designed for operation at 1800/1900 MHz band of basic station applications. To achieve sufficient bandwidth for the requirement of the PCS 1800 MHz band (1710-1880 MHz) and 1900 MHz band (1880-1930 MHz) for DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications), the proposed antenna comprises of a 1 × 5 coplanar back-to-back sleeve dipole elements, we adopt the microstrip line to balanced transmission line feeding technique in this design. This structure is easily constructed by printing on both sides of a dielectric (FR4) substrate. The measured -10 dB return loss (VSWR 2 : 1) impedance bandwidth is around 13.2% (1690-1930 MHz). A reflector is put behind the dipole array to obtain directional radiation and high gain, and the measured antenna gain for operating frequencies across the 1800/1900 MHz band is about 7.2-9.1 dBi. The measured results of radiation efficiency, radiation pattern, antenna gain and return loss show the sleeve dipole array antenna has a good performance.
1. Lo, W. K., K. M. Shum, C. H. Chan, and K. M. Luk, "Wideband L-probe-fed base-station antenna array for PCS communication," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (IEEE AP-S), 200-203, San Antonio, Texas, 2002.
2. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2003.
3. Wong, K. L., Planar Antennas for Wireless Communications, Chap. 5, Wiley, New York, 2003.
4. Liao, W. J. and S. J. You, "A high gain array antenna with serially fed dipole elements," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Barcelona, Spain, 2010.
5. Wang, X., F. Gao, and Q. Liu, Design of antenna array used as smart antenna for TD-SCDMA systems, International Conference on Communications, Circuits and Systems, 176-180, Chengdu, China, 2004.
6. Yuan, H. W., S. X. Gong, P. F. Zhang, and X. Wang, "Wide scanning phased array antenna using printed dipole antennas with parasitic element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 187-193, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08011602
7. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, Microstrip Antennas, the Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
8. Sanchez-Herndez, D. and L. D. Robertson, "A survey of broadband microstrip patch antennas," Microwave Journal, 60-84, September 1996.
9. Ali, M. T., T. B. A. Rahman, M. R. B. Kamarudin, M. N. M. Tan, and R. Sauleau, Planar array antenna with parasitic elements for beam steering control, PIERS Proceedings, 181-185, Moscow, Russia, 2009.
10. Chang, D. C. and M. C. Huang, "Microstrip reflectarray antenna with offset feed," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, 1489-1491, 1992. doi:10.1049/el:19920946
11. Duffley, B. G., G. A. Morin, M. Mikavica, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A wide-band printed double-sided dipole array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 628-631, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823998
12. Gupta, R. K. and G. Kumar, "High-gain multilayered antenna for wireless applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 1923-1929, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23536
13. Wong, K. L., F. R. Hsiao, and T. W. Chiou, "Omnidirectional planar dipole array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 624-628, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823897
14. Wong, K. L., J. W. Lai, and F. R. Hsiao, "Omnidirectional planar dipole-array antenna for 2.4-5.2 GHz WLAN access points," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 39, 628-631, 2003.
15. Lin, C. C., C. M. Su, F. R. Hsiao, and K. L.Wong, "Printed folded dipole array antenna with directional radiation for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN operation," Electron Lett., Vol. 39, 1698-1699, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20031136
16. Ansoft high frequency structure simulator (HFSS), Ver. 11.0, Ansoft Corp., 2007.