This paper considers adaptive array beamforming using signal cyclostationarity. Due to the effect of using finite data samples, there exists an estimation error in computing the weight vector required by performing cyclic beamforming. To deal with this problem, we formulate a cost function consisting of a posteriori information of the received signal and a priori information regarding the probabilistic distribution of the error. By minimizing the cost function, we obtain a weight vector with a diagonal loading data covariance matrix under a white Gaussian estimation error. An analytical solution for determining the loading factor is further derived. Simulation results for showing the effectiveness of the proposed method are provided.
1. Van Trees, H. L., Optimum Array Processing, Part IV of Detection, Estimation, and Modulation Theory, John & Wiley Sons, Inc., New York, USA, 2002.
2. Gardner, W. A., A. Napolitano, and L. Paura, "Cyclostationarity: Half a century of research," Signal Processing, Vol. 86, 639-697, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2005.06.016
3. Agee, B. G., S. V. Schell, and W. A. Gardner, "Spectral self-coherence restoral: A new approach to blind adaptive signal extraction using antenna arrays," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 78, 753-767, Apr. 1990. doi:10.1109/5.54812
4. Wu, Q. and K. M. Wong, "Blind adaptive beamforming for cyclostationary signals," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 44, 2757-2767, Nov. 1996.
5. Du, K.-L. and M. N. S. Swamy, "A class of adaptive cyclostationary beamforming algorithms," Circuits, Systems, and Signal Processing, Vol. 27, No. 1, 35-63, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1007/s00034-007-9009-4
6. Mayhan, J. T., "Area coverage adaptive nulling from geosynchronous satellites: Phased arrays versus multiple-beam antennas," IEEE Trans. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 34, 410-419, Mar. 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143824
7. Yu, K.-B., "Adaptive beamforming for satellite communication with selective earth coverage and jammer nulling capability," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 44, No. 12, 3162-3166, Dec. 1996. doi:10.1109/78.553494
8. Lee, J.-H. and C.-C. Huang, "Blind adaptive beamforming for cyclostationary signals: A subspace projection approach," IEEE Antenn. and Wirele. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1406-1409, Dec. 2009.
9. Dandawaté, A. V. and G. B. Giannakis, "Statistical tests for presence of cyclostationarity," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 9, 2355-2369, Sep. 1994. doi:10.1109/78.317857
10. Li, Y., Y.-J. Gu, Z.-G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Robust adaptive beamforming based on particle filter with noise unknown," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 151-169, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09010302
11. Wang, W., R. Wu, and J. Liang, "A novel diagonal loading method for robust adaptive beamforming," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 245-255, 2011.