In this paper, a high-efficiency wireless energy transmission via magnetic resonance is experimentally implemented in a resonator with the various sizes of transmitting and receiving coils and the receiving coil having two shapes of rectangular and circular types. The transmission efficiency is analyzed by varying the transmission distance. The resonance between the transmitting and receiving coils is achieved with lumped capacitors terminating the coils. The transmission efficiency of the resonator consisting of a circular transmitting coil with a diameter of 60 cm and rectangular receiving coil with a one side length of 10 cm is about 80% at the transmission distance of 20 cm. The transmission efficiencies of the wireless energy transmission resonator consisting of a receiving coil with the size of iPhone4 are about 75% and 40% at the transmission distances of 20 cm and 50 cm.
1. Choi, J. and C. Seo, "High-effciency wireless energy transmission using magnetic resonance based on metamaterial with relative permeability equal to -1," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 33-47, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10050609
2. Miranda, J. O. M., G. Fanti, Y. Feng, K. Omanakuttan, R. Ongie, A. Setjoadi, and N. Sharpe, "Wireless power transfer using weakly coupled magnetostatic resonators," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, 4179-4186, 2010. doi:10.1109/ECCE.2010.5617728
3. Karalis, A., J. D. Joannopoulos, and M. Soljacic, "Effcient wireless non-radiative mid-range energy transfer," Annals of Physics, Vol. 323, No. 1, 34-48, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.aop.2007.04.017
4. Kurs, A., A. Karalis, R. Moffatt, J. D. Joannopoulos, P. Fisher, and M. Soljacic, "Wireless power transfer via strongly coupled magnetic resonance," Science, Vol. 317, No. 6, 83-86, 2007. doi:10.1126/science.1143254
5. Cannon, B. L., J. F. Hoburg, D. D. Stancil, and S. C. Goldstein, "Magnetic resonant coupling as a potential means for wireless power transfer to multiple small receivers," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 24, No. 7, 1819-1825, 2009. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2009.2017195
6. Yuan, Q., Q. Chen, L. Li, and K. Sawaya, "Numerical analysis on transmission e±ciency of evanescent resonant coupling wireless power transfer system," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1751-1758, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2044321