A new shape of ultra-wideband antenna with a measured bandwidth of 122.67% is presented in this paper. The proposed antenna has fabricated on Duriod 22 × 41 mm2 substrate and tested. The simulated and measured return loss results which have been presented in this paper indicate the antenna operates between 2.9 to 12.1 GHz frequency bands. In order to increase the bandwidth of aforementioned antenna, a unique shape of the ground plane has been proposed. This shape of ground plane has a very important role not only on increasing the bandwidth but also for removing some unwanted ripples from the return loss results.
1. Allen, B., et al., Ultra-wideband Antennas and Propagation for Communications, Radar and Imaging, Vol. 67, Recherche, Feb. 2006.
2. Lee, K. F. and K. M. Luk, Microstrip Patch Antennas, Imperial College Pr., 2010. doi:10.1142/p669
3. Wong, K. L. and J. Wiley, Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Wiley Online Library, 2002. doi:10.1002/0471221112
4. Wu, Q., R. H. Jin, and J. P. Geng, "Pulse preserving capabilities of printed circular disk monopole antennas with different substrates," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 349-360, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07092004
5. Aghda, M. R., M. Kamarudin, and H. U. Iddi, "M-shape surrounded with ring patch wideband monopole printed antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 2, 482-486, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26541
6. Bruns, C., P. Leuchtmann, and R. Vahldieck, "Analysis and simulation of a 1-18-GHz broadband double-ridged horn antenna," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 1, 55-60, 2003. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2002.808022
7. Chung, K., S. Pyun, and J. Choi, "Design of an ultrawide-band TEM horn antenna with a microstrip-type balun," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3410-3413, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856396
8. Dehdasht-Heydari , R., H. R. Hassani, and A. R. Mallahzadeh, "Quad ridged horn antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 23-38, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091602
9. Amineh, R. K., A. Trehan, and N. K. Nikolova, "TEM horn antenna for ultra-wide band microwave breast imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 59-74, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08122213
10. Koslover, R. A., "Compact, high-gain, ultra-wide band (UWB) transverse electromagnetic (TEM) planar transmission-line-array horn antenna,", Google Patents, 1994.
11. Li, X., et al., "Numerical and experimental investigation of an ultrawideband ridged pyramidal horn antenna with curved launching plane for pulse radiation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 259-262, 2003.
12. Mallahzadeh, A. R., A. A. Dastranj, and H. R. Hassani, "A novel dual-polarized double-ridged horn antenna for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 67-80, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07101602
13. McEwan, T. E., "Ultra-wideband horn antenna with abrupt radiator,", Google Patents, 1998.
14. Nguyen, C., J. S. Lee, and J. S. Park, "Ultra-wideband microstrip quasi-horn antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 12, 731-732, 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20010532
15. Ohlsson, M. and C. Marcus, "Horn antenna,", Google Patents,2001.
16. Saleem, R. and A. Brown, "Inverse parabolic step sequence ultra wideband antenna," IEEE, 2009.
17. Baumann, C. E., L. Carin, and A. P. Stone eds., Ultra-Wideband, Short-Pulse Electromagnetics, Vol. 3, Springer, 1997.
18. Aghda, M. R. and M. R. B. Kamarudin, "Utm-logo wideband printed monopole antenna surrounded with circular ring patch ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 15, 157-164, 2010.
19. Johnson, , J. M. , Y. Rahmat-Samii, and , "The tab monopole," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 45, No. 1, 187-188, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.554262
20. Ren, W., Z. Shi, and K. Chen, "Novel planar monopole UWB antenna with 5-GHz band-notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1645-1652, 2007.
21. Sze, J. Y., T. H. Hu, and T. J. Chen, "Compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna with meandered grounded strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 299-308, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09072404
22. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08022603
23. Lee, W. S., et al., "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2800-2806, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.874895
24. Qiu, J., et al., "A planar monopole antenna design with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 288-292, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.861507
25. Su, S. W., K. L. Wong, and C. L. Tang, "Band-notched ultra-wideband planar-monopole antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 3, 217-219, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20592
26. Zhao, Y. L., et al., "Compact planar monopole UWB antenna with band-notched characteristic," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2656-2658, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23717
27. James, J. R., Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Vol. 2, Peregrinus, 1989.
28. Chew, W., "A broad-band annular-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 5, 918-922, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142913
29. Das, A., S. Mathur, and S. Das, "Radiation characteristics of higher-order modes in microstrip ring antenna," IEE Proceedings H: Microwaves, Optics and Antennas, Vol. 131, No. 2, 102-106, 1984. doi:10.1049/ip-h-1.1984.0020
30. Garg, R., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House Publishers, 2001.
31. Wolff, I. and N. Knoppik, "Rectangular and circular microstrip disk capacitors and resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 22, No. 10, 857-864, 1974. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1974.1128364