The performance of smart antenna greatly relies on the efficient use of direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation techniques for both coherent and non-coherent signals. In practice, DOA estimation problems and difficulties increase when the signals in multipath propagation environments are highly correlated or coherent. Therefore, exploring an algorithm which is capable of estimating coherent signals is of great importance. To overcome this problem, a new high-resolution modified virtual singular value decomposition (MV-SVD) algorithm for DOA estimation of coherent signals is proposed. It is based on the hybrid combination of the virtual array extension, singular value decomposition (SVD), and modified MUSIC algorithms. The proposed algorithm provides many features such as: decorrelation of the coherence between the signals without reducing the rank of the covariance matrix or losing the array aperture size; high-resolution and more stability especially at low SNR values; and an increase in the maximal number of detectable signals to M-1, where M is the number of antenna elements.
Basma El Dosouky,
Amr Hussein Hussein Abdullah,
"A New High-Resolution and Stable Mv-SVD Algorithm for Coherent Signals Detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 35, 163-171, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERM14021603
1. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, 276-280, Mar. 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143830
2. Zhang, T., "Resarch of modifid MUSIC algorithm in DOA estimation of smart antenna," Journal of Shannxi University of Science and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 1, 97-101, 2009.
3. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Transactions Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, 984-995, Jul. 1989.
4. Cui, H., Y. Qian, and D. Li, "Direction of arrival research on extracting signal subspace of ESPRIT algorithm," Compute Engineering and Design, Vol. 30, No. 13, 3057-3059, 2009.
5. Rao, B. D. and K. V. S. Hari, "Effect of spatial smoothing on the performance of MUSIC and the minimum-norm method," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 137, No. 6, 449-458, Dec. 1990.
6. Williams, R. , S. Prasad, and A. K. Mahalanbis, "An improved spatial smoothing technique for bearing estimation in a multipath environment," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 36, No. 4, 425-432, Apr. 1988. doi:10.1109/29.1546
7. Zhang, J., D. Huang, P. Huang, and J. Kang, "Estimation DOAs of the coherent sources based on SVD," 2nd International Conference on Signal Processing Systems (ICSPS), Vol. 3, 174-177, 2010.
8. Zhou, L., D. Huang, H. Duan, and Y. Chen, "A modified ESPRIT algorithm based on a new SVD method for coherent signals," Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation Shenzhen, China, 75-78, Jun. 2011.
9. Ma, Z., D. Huang, W. Yang, X. Liu, and Y. Zhang, "A new high-resolution ESPRIT algorithm based on MSVD for estimating coherent signals," 3rd International Congress on Image and Signal Processing (CISP2010), 4303-4307, 2010. doi:10.1109/CISP.2010.5647297
10. Hui, C., H. Benxiong, D. Bin, and H. Yaoqin, "A modified toeplitz algorithm for DOA estimation of coherent signals," Proceedings of 2007 International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems, 80-83, Xiamen, China, Nov. 28-Dec. 1, 2007.
11. Zhou, L. and D. Huang, "A new ESPRIT algorithm based on toeplitz method for coherent signals," International Conference on Transportation, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering (TMEE), 1521-1524, Changchun, China, Dec. 16-18, 2011.
12. Li, N., Y. Guo, Q. Wu, J. Wang, and X. Liu, "Maximum eigenvalue method for direction-finding in coherent situation," 3rd International Conference on Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation, 514-517, 2011.
13. Duan, H., D. Huang, L. Zhou, H. Chen, and J. Shi, "A decorrelation algorithm based on virtual array extension," 7th International ICST Conference on Communications and Networking in China (CHINACOM), 348-351, 2012. doi:10.1109/ChinaCom.2012.6417505
14. El-Barbary, K. A., T. S. Mohamed, and M. S. Melad, "High resolution direction of arrival estimation (coherent signal source DOA estimation)," International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA), Vol. 3, No. 1, 132-139, 2013.