We investigate optical bistability (OB) and optical multistability (OM) behaviors in a triply driven five-level atomic system. It is shown that the system has bistable behavior and can be controlled by intensity of applied fields. We find that OB switches to OM via interference induced among the Rabi-split resonance. We consider a superposed one-dimension standing wave, generated by two optical fields, and it is demonstrated that the OB and OM behaviors depend on the position of localized atoms as well as the relative phase of applied fields.
"Controlling the Optical Bistability and Multistability via Atom Localization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 46, 39-46, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM15083101
1. Lugiato, L. A., "Theory of optical bistability," Progress in Optics, E. Wolf, Ed., Vol. 21, North-Holland, Amesterdam, 1984.
2. Chrostowski, J., C. Delisle, and T. Tremblay, "Oscillations in an acoustooptic bistable device," Can. J. Phys., Vol. 61, 188-191, 1983. doi:10.1139/p83-025
3. Balakshii, V. I., A. V. Kazar’yan, and A. A. Lee, "Multistability in an acousto-optical system with a frequency feedback," Quantum Electronics, Vol. 25, No. 10, 940-944, 1995. doi:10.1070/QE1995v025n10ABEH000507
4. Ghosh, A. K., P. Verma, S. Cheng, R. C. Huck, M. R. Chatterjee, and M. Al-Saedi, "Design of acousto-optic chaos based secure free-space optical communication links," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 7464, 74640L, 2009. doi:10.1117/12.826813
6. Dawes, A. M. C., L. Illing, S. M. Clark, and D. J. Gauthier, "All-optical switching in rubidium vapor," Science, Vol. 308, 672, 2005. doi:10.1126/science.1110151
7. Rosenberger, A. T., L. A. Orozco, and H. J. Kimble, "Observation of absorptive bistability with two-level atoms in a ring cavity," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 28, 2569, 1983. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.28.2569
8. Anton, M. A. and O. G. Calderon, "Optical bistability using quantum interference in V-type atoms," J. Opt. B: Quantum Semiclass. Opt., Vol. 4, 91-98, 2002. doi:10.1088/1464-4266/4/2/302
9. Joshi, A., W. Yang, and M. Xiao, "Effect of quantum interference on optical bistability in the three-level V-type atomic system," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 68, 015806, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.68.015806
10. Mousavi, S. M., L. Safari, M. Mahmoudi, and M. Sahrai, "Effect of quantum interference on the optical properties of a three-level V-type atomic system beyond the two-photon resonance condition," J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys., Vol. 43, 165501, 2010. doi:10.1088/0953-4075/43/16/165501
11. Feng, Z. F., W. D. Li, L. T. Xiao, and S. T. Jia, "The double dark resonance in a cold gas of Cs atoms and molecules," Opt. Exp., Vol. 16, 15870, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.015870
12. Mahmoudi, M., S. M. Mousavi, and M. Sahrai, "Controlling theoptical bistability via interacting dark-state resonances," EPJD, Vol. 57, 241-246, 2010. doi:10.1140/epjd/e2010-00020-1
13. Vafafard, A., H. Zaakeri, L. E. Zohravi, and M. Mahmoudi, "Phase-controlled optical bistability via electromagnetically induced absorption," JOSA B, Vol. 31, 1981, 2014. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.31.001981
14. Dutta, B. K., "Coherent control of narrow structures in absorption, transparency and dispersion by interference induced among the Rabi-split resonances," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 377, 1890, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2013.05.042