Matrix method for phased array calibration is an excitation reconstruction method by solving the linear equations based on the linear relationship between the measured near-field data and element excitations. In this paper, we propose a modified matrix method, in which the phased array model is simplified, to measure the element excitations of planar phased array. Our method reduces measurement time greatly at the cost of introducing some calibration errors. The introduced calibration errors can be minimized with the array excitation strategy proposed in this paper. Experimental results validate the effectiveness of our methods in calibrating planar phased arrays.
3. Takahashi, T., Y. Konishi, S. Makino, H. Ohmine, and H. Nakaguro, "Fast measurement technique for phased array calibration," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 1888-1899, Jul. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.924682
4. Silverstein, S. D., "Application of orthogonal codes to the calibration of active phased array antennas for communication satellites," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 1, 206-218, Jun. 1997.
5. Lee, K. M., R. S. Chu, and S. C. Liu, "A built-in performance-monitoring/fault isolation and correction (PM/FIC) system for active phased-array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, No. 11, 1530-1540, Nov. 1993.
6. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Fast and accurate array calibration using a synthetic array approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4115-4122, Nov. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2164171
7. He, C., X. L. Liang, J. P. Geng, and R. H. Jin, "Parallel calibration method for phased array with harmonic characteristic analysis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 1, 5029-5036, Oct. 2014.
8. Hanfling, J. D., G. Borgiotti, and L. Kaplan, "The backward transform of the near field for reconstruction of aperture fields," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 17, 764-767, 1979.
9. Lee, J. J., E. M. Ferren, D. P. Woollen, and K. M. Lee, "Near-field probe used as a diagnostic tool to locate defective elements in an array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 884-889, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1192
10. Logan, J. T., D. S. Reinhard, and K. E. Hauck, "Phased array calibration and diagnostics utilizing a student-built planar near-field system," 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems and Technology (ARRAY), 279-286, 2010. doi:10.1109/ARRAY.2010.5613358
11. Gattoufi, L., D. Picard, A. Rekiouak, and J.-C. Bolomey, "Matrix method for near-field diagnostic techniques of phased arrays," IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems and Technology, 52-57, 1996. doi:10.1109/PAST.1996.565934
12. Migliore, M. D. and G. Panariello, "A comparison of interferometric methods applied to array diagnosis from near-field data," IEE Proceedings, Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 148, No. 4, 261-267, 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20010550
13. Bucci, O. M., D. Migliore, G. Panariello, and P. Sgambato, "Accurate diagnosis of conformal arrays from near-field data using the matrix method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1114-1120, Mar. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842656
14. Migliore, D., "A compressed sensing approach for array diagnosis from a small set of near-field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 6, 2127-2133, Jun. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2144556