In this paper, a design of compact monopole antenna with defected ground plane for wideband applications has been investigated. Initially, the partial ground plane is used which yield the impedance bandwidth (S11 ≤ -10 dB) of 23.87% and 17.54% ranging (4.00 GHz-5.11 GHz) and (8.48 GHz-9.84 GHz) respectively. The bandwidth of the proposed monopole antenna is enhanced by employing the defects in the partial ground plane. Antenna is designed and simulated by using Ansoft HFSS v13 simulator; moreover, the antenna is fabricated to validate the simulated results with the measured results. Measured proposed monopole antenna with DGP (Defected Ground Plane) exhibits the impedance bandwidth (S11 ≤ -10 dB) of 72.87% ranging (3.89 GHz-8.35 GHz), which covers different wireless standards such as WiMAX (3.3 GHz-3.7 GHz), WLAN (5.15 GHz-5.85 GHz), X-band satellite applications (7.1 GHz-7.76 GHz) and point to point high speed wireless communication (5.925 GHz-8.5 GHz).
1. Rabike, S. V., S. D. Sahu, and S. V. Khobragade, "Fractal antenna for multi-frequency applications using PIN diode," Journal of Computational Electronics, 2014, doi: 10.007/s10825-014-0640-6.
2. Mishrs, A., J. A. Ansari, K. Kamakshi, A. Singh, M. Aneesh, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Compact dual band rectangular microstrip patch antenna for 2.4/5.12 GHz wireless applications," Journal of Mobile Communication, Computation and Information, 2014, doi: 10.1007/s11276-014-0783-1.
3. Bargavi, K., K. Sankar, and S. A. Samson, "Compact triple band H-shaped slotted circular patch antenna," IEEE Conference on Communication and Signal Processing, 1159-1162, 2014.
4. Reddy, V. V. and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "Tri-band circularly polarized Koch fractal boundary microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1057-1060, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2327566
5. Thakare, Y. B. and Rajkumar, "Design of fractal antenna for size and radar cross-section reduction," IET Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 1, 175-181, 2010, doi: 10.1049/iet-map.2008.0325. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0325
6. Thakare, Y. B., P. S. Wankhade, P. N. Vasanbekar, S. N. Talbar, and M. D. Uplane, "Super wideband fractal antenna for wireless communication," IEEE Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems: ICWITS, 2012, doi: 10.1109/ICWITS.2012.6417706.
7. Bakariya, P. S., S. Dawari, and M. Sarkar, "Triple band notch UWB printed monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 69, 26-30, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2014.07.023
8. Chen, K. R., C. Y. D. Sim, and J. S. Row, "A compact monopole antenna for super wideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 488-491, 2011, doi: 10.1149/LAWP.2011.2157071. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2157071
9. Bhatia, S. S. and J. S. Sivia, "A novel design of circular monopole antenna for wireless applications," Wireless Pers. Comm., Vol. 91, 1153-1161, 2016, doi: 10.1007/s11277-016-3518-z. doi:10.1007/s11277-016-3518-z
10. Lee, S. H. and Y. Sung, "Multiband antenna for wireless UWB dongle applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 25-28, 2011, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2011.2107874.
11. Bharti, G., S. Bhatia, and J. S. Sivia, "Analysis and design of triple band compact microstrip patch antenna with fractal elements for wireless applications," International Conference on Computational Modeling and Security: CMS, Vol. 85, 380-385, Elsevier, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.procs.2016.05.246.
12. Srivastava, D. K., A. Khanna, and J. P. Saini, "Design of a wideband gap coupled modified square fractal antenna," Journal of Computational Electronics, 2015, doi: 10.1007/s10825-015-0740-y.
13. Choukiker, Y. K. and S. K. Behra, "Design of wideband fractal antenna with combination of fractal geometries," IEEE Conference on Information, Communication and Signal Processing: ICICS, 2011, doi: 10.1100/ICICS.2011.6174226.
14. Wu, C. M., "Wideband dual-frequency CPW-fed triangular monopole antenna for DCS/WLAN applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 61, 563-567, 2006.
15. Shanuganantham, T., K. Balamanikadan, and S. Raghavan, "CPW fed slot antenna for wideband applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation (Hindawi), 1-4, 2008, doi: 10.1155/2008/379247.
16. Ray, K. P., S. S. Thakur, and R. A. Deshmukh, "Wideband L-shaped printed monopole antenna," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 66, 693-696, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2011.12.012
17. Chitra, R. J. and V. Nagarajan, "Double L-slot microstrip patch antenna array for WiMAX and WLAN applications," International Journal of Computers and Electrical Engineering, Vol. 39, 1026-1041, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.compeleceng.2012.11.024
18. Suma, M. N., P. V. Bijuman, M. T. Sebastian, and P. Mohanan, "A compact hybrid CPW-fed planar monopole dielectric resonator antenna," Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Vol. 27, 3001-3004, Elsevier, 2007.
19. Chen, L., X. Ren, Y.-Z. Zin, and Z. Wang, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized antenna with an irregular slot for 2.45 GHz RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 41, 77-86, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13052020
20. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., London, Wiley, 1997.
21. Omar, S. A., A. Iqbal, O. A. Saraereh, and A. Basir, "An array of M-shaped Vivaldi antennas for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 68, 67-72, 2017.
22. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, and S. K. Jaiswal, "Maple leaf shaped UWB monopole antenna with dual band notch functionality," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 169-175, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17010801
23. Lee, C. H., P. S. Ho, C. I. G. Hsu, and H. H. Chen, "Design of balanced band notched UWB filtering high gain slot antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, 615-620, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31017