This paper reports on the development of a compact, low-cost, impulse bi-static UWB radar sensor for its use as non-destructive methods for electrical property measurement in industrial application. This UWB Radar sensor consists of an ultrashort-monocycle-pulse transmitter of 330 ps, an oscilloscope as a UWB sampling receiver with a high wide band of 6 GHz, and two UWB antennas ranging from 0.4 to 6 GHz. A new model of SRD has been introduced in order to decrease the rise time of the impulse. Performance of this UWB radar sensor was veried through two kinds of applications: range detection and electrical property measurements. All measurements have been carried out in an anechoic chamber with a distance variation between 80 and 300 cm. The full radar system provides good agreement between the experimental and theoretical results, which demonstrate its application in many fields, especially for electrical Property Measurements.
1. Chabinski, I. J., "Applications of microwave energy. Past, present and future. Brave new worlds," Proceedings of the Materials Research Society Symposium, Vol. 124, 17-32, 1990. doi:10.1557/PROC-124-17
2. Baker-Jarvis, J., M. D Janezic, B. F Riddle, C. L. Holloway, N.-G. Painter, and J.-E. Bendell, "Dielectric and conductor loss characterization and measurements on electronic packaging materials," NIST Technical Note, Vol. 1520, July 2001.
3. Bruce, R. W., "New frontiers in the use of microwave energy: Power and metrology," Microwave Processing of Materials, Proceeding of Materials Research Society Symposium, Vol. 124, 3-15, 1990. doi:10.1557/PROC-124-3
4. Chen, L. F., C. K. Ong, C. P. Neo, V. V. Vardan, and V. K. Vardan, Microwave Electronics, Measurement and Materials Characterisation, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2004. doi:10.1002/0470020466
5. Dench, E. C., "Advantages of microwave processing," Proceeding of the IMPS Symposium, 1-5, Canada, 1973.
6. Komarov, V., S, Wang, and J. Tang, Permittivity and Measurement, Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engendering, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2004.
7. Bernardi, P., R. Cicchetti, S. Pisa, E. Pittella, E. Piuzzi, and O. Testa, "Design, realization and test of a UWB radar sensor for breath activity monitoring," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 14, No. 2, 584-596, February 2014. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2013.2285915
8. Lee, D., J. Velander, D. Nowinski, and R. Augustine, "A preliminary research on skull healing utilizing short pulsed radar technique on layered cranial surgery phantom models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 84, 1-9, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18022604
9. Mohanna, M. M., E. A. Abdallah, H. M. S. El-Hennawy, and M. A. Attia, "Design and analysis of a novel low loss ultra-wideband coplanar waveguide (CPW) to coplanar strips (CPS) transition for tapered slot antennas (TSA) in ground penetrating radar (GPR) application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 83, 179-194, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18032001
10. Xu, X., T. Xia, V. Anbu, and H. Driver, "The development of a high-speed ultra-wide-band ground penetrating radar for rebar detection," ASCE’s Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 139, 272-285, 2013. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000458
11. Lu, S., G. Cui, X. Yu, L. Kong, and X. Yang, "Cognitive radar waveform design against signal-dependent modulated jamming," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 80, 59-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERB18010805
12. Lee, J. S., C. Nguyen, and T. Scullion, "New uniplanar subnanosecond monocycle pulse generator and transformer for time-domain microwave application," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 1126-1129, 2001.
13. Ma, T.-G., C.-J. Wu, P. K. Cheng, and C.-F. Chou, "Ultrawideband monocycle pulse generator with dual resistive loaded shunt stubs," IEEE Microw. Opt. Technol., 459-462, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22145
14. Ruengwaree, A., A. Ghose, J. Weide, and G. Kompa, "Ultra-fast pulse transmitter for UWB microwave radar," 36th European Microwave Conference, 1833-1836, 2006.
15. Guo, Y., G. Zhu, and Z. Zhou, "A novel design and implementation of sub-nanosecond sampling pulse generator for ultra-wideband equivalent sampling receiver," Fifth International Conference on Computing, Communications and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT), 1-5, 2014.
16. Pongsoon, P., K. Bunnjaweht, and D. Kaemarungsi, "Edge-triggered driver circuit for ultra-wideband pulse generator with cascade impulse shaping," 9th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECT, 1-4, 2012.
17. Protiva, P., J. Mrkvica, and J. Machac, "High power monocycle pulse generator for through-the-wall radar transmitter," Proc. IEEE Asia-Pacific Conf. Circuits Syst., 2324-2327, 2009.
18. Li, Z., X. X. Lv, Y. F. Long, and T. Qin, "An ultra-wideband monocycle pulse generator with good performance," Proc. Int. Conf. Computat. Problem-Solving (ICCP), 253-254, 2011. doi:10.1109/ICCPS.2011.6092226
19. Zhu, J., Y. Sun, and H. Fang, "Enhanced characteristic basis function method for solving the monostatic radar cross section of conducting targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 68, 173-180, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18022703
20. Younes, A., J. M. Catala-Rivera, F. P. Foix, and A. Driouach, "Simple, compact and low-cost pulse transmitter for UWB microwave radar," Mediterranean Conference on Information & Technologies, 2015.
21. Amdaouch, I., O. Aghzout, A. Naghar, A. V. Alejos, and F. J. Falcone, "Breast tumor detection system based on a compact UWB antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 64, 123-133, 2018.
22. Borja, B., J. A. Tirado-Mendez, and H. Jardon-Aguilar, "An overview of UWB antennas for microwave imaging systems for cancer detection purposes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 80, 173-198, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERB18030302
23. Baharuddin, M., V. Wissan, J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "Equilateral triangular microstrip antenna for circularly-polarized synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 8, 107-120, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09052202
24. Takemura, N. and S. Ichikawa, "Broadbanding of printed bell-shaped monopole antenna by using short stub for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 78, 57-67, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17060702