Electromagnetic (EM) vortex wave carries orbital angular momentum (OAM), which has been proposed for improve anti-interference performance, spectral efficiency, and message capacity in radio communications. Multiple sub-channels of propagation are achieved by different twisting degrees of EM wave. In order to develop the theory and technique of the OAM, works must be done to study the generation of vortex wave. There exist several devices to generate vortex wave, such as phase plate, holographic diffraction gratings, spiral reflectors, and antenna arrays. In this paper, based on typical parabolic antenna, a new approach to generate vortex wave carrying OAM in radio frequency through coating specific controllable complex dielectric constant material on parabolic antenna is introduced. From the results of the proposed antenna, we conclude that parabolic antenna with materials arranged by a specific rule on the reflector has capacity of generating an EM wave with clockwise and anti-clockwise phase distributions around beam-axis. The new method generating OAM is simple and suitable to be well applied in wireless electronic technology.
1. Wakayama, T., T. Higashiguchi, K. Sakaue, M. Washio, and Y. Otani, "Demonstration of a terahertz pure vector beam by tailoring geometric phase," Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, 8690, 2018. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-26964-7
2. Wei, W., K. Mahdjoubi, C. Brousseau, and O. Emile, "Generation of OAM waves with circular phase shifter and array of patch antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 6, 442-443, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2014.4425
3. Thidé, B., H. Then, J. Sjoholm, K. Palmer, J. Bergman, T. D. Carozzi, Y. N. Istomin, N. H. Ibragimov, and R. Khamitova, "Utilization of photon orbital angular momentum in the low-frequency radio domain," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 99, No. 8, 087701, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.99.087701
4. Mohammadi, S. M., L. K. S. Daldorff, J. E. S. Bergman, R. L. Karlsson, B. Thidé, K. Forozesh, T. D. Carozzi, and B. Isham, "Orbital angular momentum in radio - A system study," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 565-572, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2037701
5. Tamburini, F., B. Thidé, G. Molina-Terriza, and G. Anzolin, "Twisting of light around rotating black holes," Nature Physical, Vol. 7, No. 3, 195-197, 2010. doi:10.1038/nphys1907
6. Cartlidge, E., "Adding a twist to radio technology," Nature Medical, 2011.
7. Tamburini, F., E. Mari, A. Sponselli, B. Thidé, A. Bianchini, and F. Romanato, "Encoding many channels in the same frequency through radio vorticity: First experimental test," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 14, No. 11, 78001-78004, 2012. doi:10.1088/1367-2630/14/11/118002
8. Barbuto, M., F. Trotta, F. Bilotti, and A. Toscano, "Circular polarized patch antenna generating orbital angular momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 23-30, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14050204
9. Deng, C. J., W. H. Chen, Z. J. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. H. Feng, "Generation of OAM radio waves using circular Vivaldi antenna array," Internation Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, 607-610, 2013.
10. Bai, Q., A. Tennant, B. Allen, and M. U. Rehan, "Generation of orbital angular momentum (OAM) radio beams with phased patch array," Antennas & Propagation Conference, Loughborough, UK, 2014.
11. Spinello, F., E. Mari, M. Oldoni, R. A. Ravanelli, and C. G. Someda, "Experimental near field OAM-based communication with circular patch array," Physics, 2015.
12. Wei, W. L., K. Mahdjoubi, C. Brousseau, and O. Emile, "Horn antenna for generating orbital angular momentum (OAM) waves," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 1420-1427, Loughborough, UK, 2016.
13. Shi, C. B., Y. B. Li, W.Wu, R. Y.Wu, and T. J. Cui, "An ultrathin spiral phase plate for generation of OAM radio waves," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, Loughborough, UK, 2016.
14. Mao, F., M. Huang, T. Li, J. Zhang, and C. Yang, "Broadband generation of orbital angular momentum carrying beams in RF regimes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 160, 19-27, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIER17082302
15. Hui, X., et al., "Ultralow reflectivity spiral phase plate for generation of millimeter-wave OAM beam," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 966-969, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2387431
16. Cheng, L., W. Hong, and Z. C. Hao, "Design and implementation of planar reflection spiral phase plate for beams with orbital angular momentum," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 2, 260-264, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0519
17. Zhou, Z. Y., et al., "High efficiency SHG of orbital angular momentum light in an external cavity," Physics, 2014.
18. Shi, B. S., et al., "Highly efficient second harmonic generation of a light carrying orbital angular momentum in an external cavity," Optics Express, Vol. 22, No. 19, 23673-23678, 2014. doi:10.1364/OE.22.022917
19. Yu, S. and L. Long, "New method for generating orbital angular momentum vortex beams in the radio frequency domain," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 4121, Shanghai, China, Aug. 8–11, 2016.
20. Grekou, G., G. Dubost, and A. Madani, "Plane equiangular 4-ARM spiral antenna with conical reflector isolated or fitted into a structure," European Microwave Conference, 2007.
21. Li, H., et al., "A low-profile dual-polarized microstrip antenna array for dual-mode OAM applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3022-3025, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2758520
22. Qin, F., et al., "A high-gain shared-aperture dual-band OAM antenna with parabolic reflector," 12th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2018.
23. Liu, D., et al., "Multiplexed OAM wave communication with two-OAM-mode antenna systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 4160-4166, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2886553