This work presents the novel design and development of a WC-281 circular waveguide terminator or termination for microwave plasma interaction experiments. Final waveguide terminator is designed by using the quad wedge of FR4, cone of resistive material Kanthal and Teflon discs. Kanthal is a composition of aluminium, chromium, and iron. Wedge shape geometry helps in gradually changing the impedance and thus decreasing the return loss, while resistive material Kanthal attenuates the field before reaching the receiving end. This makes it suitable for use as the finest microwave termination. Simulation is carried out by CST microwave studio. The final model of terminator decreases the reflection coefficient (S11) up to -40 dB while reduces the transmission coefficient (S21) immensely up to -63 dB at 2.85 GHz.
1. Anitha, V. P., P. J. Rathod, R. Singh, and D. V. Giri, "Developmental aspects of microwave-plasma interaction experiments: Phase-1," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 44, No. 10, 2226-2231, 2016. doi:10.1109/TPS.2016.2552643
2. Anitha, V. P., A. Das, Y. C. Saxena, A. Shyam, and P. K. Kaw, "Interaction of high power microwave with plasma," IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC), 481-482, 2011. doi:10.1109/IVEC.2011.5747085
3. Yoneyama, T. and S. Nishida, "Nonradiative dielectric waveguide," Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 11, 61-98, 1984.
4. Teodoridis, V., T. Sphicopoulos, and F. E. Gardiol, "The reflection from an open-ended rectangular waveguide terminated by a layered dielectric medium," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 33, No. 5, 359-366, 1985. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1985.1133006
5. Rebollar, J. M., "Response of waveguides terminated in a tapered metallic wall (short paper)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 34, No. 1, 175-178, 1986. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1986.1133297
6. Kumar, J., Zeeshan, R. Jaiswal, A. Baranwal, R. Singh, and V. P. Anitha, "Design and development of a circular waveguide terminator for microwave plasma interaction experiments," 32nd National Symposium on Plasma Science & Technology, Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India, Nov. 2017.
7. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
8. Chhotray, S. K., M. Sumathy, K. S. Bhat, and L. Kumar, "Design of a broad band matched termination for an overmoded waveguide," IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC), 199-200, 2011. doi:10.1109/IVEC.2011.5746944
9. Fusco, V. F., "Low reflection coefficient waveguide termination using an imaging method," Twelfth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, (ICAP 2003), 716-719, Exeter, UK, 2003. doi:10.1049/cp:20030176
10. Uhm, M., H. Lee, C. Kwak, S. Yun, and I. Yom, "Compact waveguide load with thin film resistor," PIERS Proceedings, 1402-1405, Prague, Czech Republic, July 6-9, 2015.