Radar cross section (RCS) reduction technology has great significance in stealth and other fields. A PSO-FSP algorithm is proposed based on the particle swarm optimization algorithm and the far-field scattering characteristics of coding metasurface to obtain the optimized coding sequence for RCS reduction. According to the principle of coding metamaterial, a 1 bit cell structure is designed. Therefore, a coding metasurface is constructed by arranging the unit cells based on the optimized coding sequence. Simulation results show that, in the case of vertical incidence, compared with metal plates of the same size, the metasurface can achieve more than 10 dB of RCS reduction within the broadband range from 15 GHz to 35 GHz, and the maximum reduction can reach 36 dB. The proposed coding metasurface has been successfully fabricated and measured, and there is a good agreement between simulated and measured results.
"Small-Size Broadband Coding Metasurface for RCS Reduction Based on Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 81, 97-105, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19040905
1. Knott, E. F., J. Shaeffer, and M. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, Sci. Tech. Publishing, 2004. doi:10.1049/SBRA026E
2. Chen, J., Q. Cheng, J. Zhao, D. S. Dong, and T.-J. Cui, "Reduction of radar cross section based on a metasurface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 146, 71-76, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14022606
3. Chen, C., Z. Li, L. Liu, J. Xu, P. Ning, B. Xu, X. Chen, and C. Q. Gu, "A circularly-polarized metasurfaced dipole antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth and RCS reduction functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 154, 79-85, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIER15092401
4. Jiang, W., Y. Xue, and S.-X. Gong, "Polarization conversion metasurface for broadband radar cross section reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 62, 9-15, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16060504
5. Cui, T. J., M. Q. Qi, X. Wan, et al. "Coding metamaterials, digital metamaterials and programmable metamaterials," Light Science & Applications, Vol. 3, No. 10, e2181-9, 2014. doi:10.1038/lsa.2014.99
6. Xiao, L., J. Gao, L. Xu, et al. "A coding diffuse metasurface for RCS reduction," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 724-727, 2017.
7. Zhao, Y., X. Cao, J. Gao, et al. "Broadband diffusion metasurface based on a single anisotropic element and optimized by the Simulated Annealing algorithm," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 238961-9, 2016.
8. Sun, H., C. Gu, X. Chen, et al. "Broadband and broad-angle polarization-independent metasurface for radar cross section reduction," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 407821-9, 2017.
9. Si, J. L., Y. C. Xiang, M. X. Li, et al. "Ultra-broadband reflective metamaterial with RCS reduction based on polarization convertor, information entropy theory and genetic optimization algorithm," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 374091-12, 2016.
10. Sui, S., H. Ma, J. Wang, et al. "Absorptive coding metasurface for further radar cross section reduction," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 51, No. 6, 0656031-6, 2017.
11. Zhou, Y., X. Y. Cao, J. Gao, et al. "RCS reduction for grazing incidence based on coding metasurface," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 20, 1381-1383, 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2017.2414
12. Wang, K., J. Zhao, Q. Cheng, et al. "Broadband and broad-angle low-scattering metasurface based on hybrid optimization algorithm," Scientific Reports, Vol. 4, No. 4, 59351-6, 2014.
13. Su, J., Y. Lu, H. Zhang, et al. "Ultra-wideband, wide angle and polarization-insensitive specular reflection reduction by metasurface based on parameter-adjustable meta-atoms," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 422831-11, 2017.
14. Su, J., H. He, Z. Li, et al. "Uneven-layered coding metamaterial tile for ultra-wideband RCS reduction and diffuse scattering," Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, No. 1, 81821-9, 2018.
15. Su, J., Y. Lu, Z. Zheng, et al. "Fast analysis and optimal design of metasurface for wideband monostatic and multistatic radar stealth," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 120, No. 20, 2051071-11, 2016. doi:10.1063/1.4968788
16. Gao, X., X. Han, W. P. Cao, et al. "Ultra-wideband and high-efficiency linear polarization converter based on double V-shaped metasurfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, 3522-3530, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2434392
17. Kennedy, J. and R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. of 1995 IEEE Int. Conf. Neural Networks, Vol. 4, No. 8, 1942-1948, 2011.