A new design of dual and triple band rectangular microstrip antennas employing modified ground plane profiles is proposed. Slots introduced in the ground plane not only tune the higher order mode resonance frequency of the radiating patch but also alter the current distributions on the ground which yields multi-band response showing reduced cross polar level radiation pattern. Dual and triple band antennas yield 1 to 2% of impedance bandwidth at each frequency with gain around 1.5 to 2 dBi. Also in the multi-band design, 35% reduction in patch size against the conventional half wavelength counterpart is obtained. Further resonant length formulation at modified patch modes is presented which gives closer prediction of calculated frequency than the simulated value. The proposed multi-band design can find applications in personal communications systems requiring frequency agile capabilities.
3. Kuo, Y. and K. Wong, "Printed double-T monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band WLAN operations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2187-2192, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816391
4. Toh, W. K. and Z. N. Chen, "Tunable dual-band planar antenna," Electronics Letter, Vol. 44, No. 1, 8-9, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20082535
5. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Stub loaded multi-band slotted rectangular microstrip antenna," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 3, 3529-3535, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0089
6. Lee, K., S. Yang, and A. Kishk, "Dual- and multi-band U-slot patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 645-647, 2008.
7. Ollikainen, J., O. Kivekas, A. Tropainen, and P. Vainikainen, "Internal dual-band patch antenna for mobile phones," Millennium Conference on Antennas & Propagation, 2000.
8. Esfahlani, S. S., A. Tavakoli, and P. Dehkhoda, "A compact single-layer dual-band microstrip antenna for satellite applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 931-934, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2167121
9. Saghir, A., S. A. Muzahir, M. U. Afzal, T. Tauqeer, and M. T. Haroon, "Compact dual band microstrip antenna design," IEEE International Conference on Computer, Control and Communication, 1-4, 2013.
10. Liu, S., S. Qi, W. Wu, and D. Fang, "Single-feed dual-band single/dual-beam U-slot antenna for wireless communication application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, 3759-3764, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2438331
11. Ali, T. and R. Biradar, "A triple-band highly miniaturized antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 2, 466-471, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.30993
12. Kaur, J., R. Khanna, and M. Kartikeyan, "Novel dual-band multi-strip monopole antenna with defected ground structure for WLAN/IMT/BLUETOOTH/WIMAX applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-8, 2013.
13. Yadav, N. P., "Triple U-slot loaded defected ground plane antenna for multi-band operations," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 124-128, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29502
14. Arya, A., A. Patnaik, and M. Kartikeyan, "Microstrip patch antenna with Skew-F shaped DGS for dual band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 19, 147-160, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11052305
15. Li, L., X. Zhang, X. Yin, and L. Zhou, "A compact triple-band monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1-3, 2016.
16. Thomas, K. and M. Sreenivasan, "Compact triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 16, 811-813, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1658
17. CST Microwave Studio, , Version 2019.
18. Garg, B. P., I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, USA, 2001.