In this paper, a compact, symmetric, simple, and highly selective Ultra Broad Band (UBB) Band Pass Filter (BPF) is constructed on a low-loss Taconic dielectric substrate. The top layer of the BPF is loaded with three headphone-shaped Defected Microstrip Structures (DMSs) and four Open Circuit (OC) stubs whereas the bottom layer is etched with three star-shaped Defected Ground Structures (DGSs). The proposed BPF is designed and simulated using High-Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) software at f0. The proposed BPF shows 20 dB return loss and 0.4 dB insertion loss in the 3 dB passband covering 0.52 GHz to 17.1 GHz owing to 16.58 GHz Band Width (BW). Additionally, 10 dB and 25 dB upper stopband rejection is achieved with 1.3 GHz and 1 GHz BW respectively. Maximum group delay of the simulated filter is about 2.95 ns. The fabricated model transmits from 0.8 GHz to 17.4 GHz which in turn offers a 16.6 GHz BW at 3 dB level. The reflection coefficient of the fabricated filter is about -18 dB, and insertion loss varies from 0 dB to 0.72 dB inside the Transmission Band (TB) with a Fractional Band Width (FBW) of 178.5% and 3.35 ns maximum group delay. Moreover, the occurrence of Transmission Zeroes (TZs) and Reflection Poles (RPs) make the filter highly selective and low-loss (flatness). The measured results agree with the simulated outputs with slight deviations due to fabrication tolerances and connector loss. The size of the filter is 0.36λg * 0.36λg. Thus proposed filter is suitable for mobile phones, and satellite communication applications approximately covering L, S, C, X, and Ku frequency bands.
Mani Divya Shree,
Inabathini Srinivasa Rao,
"Miniaturized Low-Loss Band Pass Filter Based on Coupling Effect of Defective Structures for Ultra Broad Band Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 37-50, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23053001
1. Min, B. C., Y. H. Choi, S. K. Kim, and B. Oh, "Cross-coupled band-pass filter using HTS microstrip resonators," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 11, No. 1, 485-488, 2001. doi:10.1109/77.919388
2. Bonache, J., I. Gil, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "Novel microstrip bandpass filters based on complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 265-271, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.861664
3. Wu, B., C. H. Liang, P. Y. Qin, and Q. Li, "Compact dual-band filter using defected stepped impedance resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 10, 674-676, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2003459
4. Sun, S., "A dual-band bandpass filter using a single dual-mode ring resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 6, 298-300, 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2132119
5. Shen, W., W. Y. Yin, X. W. Sun, and L. S. Wu, "Substrate-integrated waveguide bandpass filters with planar resonators for system-on-package," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 2, 253-261, 2012. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2012.2224348
6. Park, J. S., J. S. Yun, and D. Ahn, "A design of the novel coupled-line bandpass filter using defected ground structure with wide stopband performance," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 9, 2037-2043, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.802313
7. Abdel-Rahman, A., A. K. Verma, A. Boutejdar, and A. S. Omar, "Compact stub type microstrip bandpass filter using defected ground plane," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 4, 136-138, 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.821503
8. Tan, B. T., J. J. Yu, S. T. Chew, M. S. Leong, and B. L. Ooi, "A miniaturized dual-mode ring bandpass filter with a new perturbation," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 1, 343-348, 2005.
9. El-Shaarawy, H. B., F. Coccetti, R. Plana, M. El Said, and E. A. Hashish, "Compact bandpass ring resonator filter with enhanced wide-band rejection characteristics using defected ground structures," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 8, 500-502, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2000998
10. Hamad, E. K., A. M. Safwat, and A. S. Omar, "Controlled capacitance and inductance behaviour of L-shaped defected ground structure for coplanar waveguide," IEE Proc.: Microw., Antennas and Prop., Vol. 152, No. 5, 299-304, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20045166
11. Lee, J. K. and Y. S. Kim, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with improved upper stopband performance using defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 6, 316-318, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2047469
12. Zhou, J., Y. Rao, D. Yang, H. J. Qian, and X. Luo, "Compact wideband BPF with wide stopband using substrate integrated defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 4, 353-356, 2021. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2021.3053756
13. Wang, C., X. Zhang, T. Xia, Y. Zhang, and Q. Fan, "Dual-band filter power divider with controllable transmission zero based on multimode resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 105, 9-16, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL22040901
15. Hou, Z. J., Y. Yang, X. Zhu, Y. C. Li, E., Dutkiewicz, and Q. Xue, "A compact and low-loss bandpass filter using self-coupled folded-line resonator with capacitive feeding technique," IEEE Electron Device Lett., Vol. 39, No. 10, 1584-1587, 2018.
16. Wang, Z., J. Ma, S. Zhao, H. Liu, and S. Fang, "A novel DGS-based substrate integrated coaxial line bandpass filter with three transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 105, 1-8, 2022.
17. Tirado-Mendez, J. A., H. Jardon-Aguilar, R. Flores-Leal, E. Andrade-Gonzalez, and F. Iturbide-Sanchez, "Improving frequency response of microstrip filters using defected ground and defected microstrip structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 77-90, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10011505
18. Hanae, E., N. A. Touhami, and M. Aghoutane, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with spiral defected microstrip structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 53, 37-44, 2015.
19. Elftouh, H., N. A. Touhami, M. Aghoutane, S. El Amrani, A. Tazon Puente, and M. Boussouis, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14092302
20. Hong, J. S. G. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, 2004.
21. Kim, C. S., J. S. Park, D. Ahn, and J. B. Lim, "A novel 1-D periodic defected ground structure for planar circuits," IEEE Microw. and Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 10, No. 4, 131-133, 2000. doi:10.1109/75.846922
22. Weng, L. H., Y. C. Guo, X. W. Shi, and X. Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031401
23. Wang, M., S. Sun, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, "Supercompact and ultrawideband surface plasmonic bandpass filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 68, No. 2, 732-740, 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2952123
24. Bandyopadhyay, A., P. Sarkar, and R. Ghatak, "A bandwidth reconfigurable bandpass filter for ultrawideband and wideband applications," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Express Briefs, Vol. 69, No. 6, 2747-2751, 2022.
25. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, K. P. Esselle, and S. L. Smith, "All-metal wideband frequency-selective surface bandpass filter for TE and TM polarizations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 70, No. 4, 2790-2800, 2022. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3138256
26. Zhang, T., M. Tian, Z. Long, M. Qiao, and Z. Fu, "High-temperature superconducting multimode ring resonator ultrawideband bandpass filter," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 8, 663-665, 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2845116
27. Long, Z., M. Tian, T. Zhang, M. Qiao, T. Wu, and Y. Lan, "High-temperature superconducting multimode dual-ring UWB bandpass filter," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 30, No. 2, 1-4, 2019. doi:10.1109/TASC.2019.2951745
28. Li, C., Z. H. Ma, J. X. Chen, M. N. Wang, and J. M. Huang, "Design of a compact ultra-wideband microstrip bandpass filter," Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 7, 1728, 2023. doi:10.3390/electronics12071728
29. Lin, D. B., M. H. Wang, A. A. Pramudita, and T. Adiprabowo, "Design of a novel ultra-wideband common-mode filter using a magnified coupled defected ground structure," Appl. Sci., Vol. 13, No. 13, 7404, 2023. doi:10.3390/app13137404