The initial stage of interaction between an annular beam of electrons, which rotate along Larmor orbits in the gap between a localized plasma column and a metal waveguide with a circular cross-section of its walls, and the electromagnetic waves of the surface type, is studied theoretically. These waves are extraordinary polarized; they propagate along the azimuthal angle across an axial external steady magnetic field in the electron cyclotron frequency range. The numerical analysis shows that changing the shape of the plasma filling cross section leads to corrections to the eigen frequency of the surface waves but does not cause a disruption of the resonance beam-wave instability development. Moreover, the conditions are found when appropriate choice of the shape can lead to increasing the instability growth rate by dozens of percent.
2. Saito, H. and J. S. Wurtele, "The linear theory of the circular free-electron laser," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 30, No. 7, 2209-2220, 1987.
3. Wu, J., C. Xiong, and S. Liu, "Excitation of microwave by an annular electron beam in a plasma-filled dielectric lined waveguide," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 16, No. 9, 1573-1581, 1995.
4. Norreys, P. A., et al., "Observation of annular electron beam transport in multi-TeraWatt laser-solid interactions," Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion, Vol. 48, No. 2, L11-L22, 2006.
5. Humphries, S., Charged Particle Beams, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, 1990.
6. Yatsui, K., "Industrial applications of pulse power and particle beams," Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 7, No. 4, 733-741, 1989.
7. Miller, R. B., An Introduction to the Physics of Intense Charged Particle Beams, Plenum Press, New York, 1982.
8. Manheimer, W. M., R. F. Fernsler, and M. S. Gitlin, "High power, fast, microwave components based on beam generated plasmas," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 26, No. 5, 1543-1555, 1998.
9. Murphy, D. P., R. F. Fernsler, R. E. Pechacek, and R. A. Meger, "Microwave emission from plasmas produced by magnetically confined electron beams," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 30, No. 1, 436-441, 2002.
10. Borg, G. G., J. H. Harris, D. G. Miljak, and N. M. Martin, "Application of plasma columns to radio-frequency antennas ," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 74, No. 22, 3272-3274, 1999.
11. Cerri, G., R. De Leo, V. Mariani Primiani, and P. Russo, "Measurement of the properties of a plasma column used as a radiated element," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 57, 242-247, 2008.
12. Rayner, J. P., A. P. Whichello, and A. D. Cheetham, "Physical characteristics of plasma antennas," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 32, No. 1, 269-281, 2004.
13. Wu, M., B. Y.Wen, H. Zhou, and , "Ionospheric clutter suppression in HF surface wave radar," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 10, 1265-1272, 2009.
14. Girka, V. O., I. O. Girka, A. V. Girka, and I. V. Pavlenko, "Theory of azimuthal surface waves propagating in non-uniform waveguides," Journal of Plasma Physics, Vol. 77, Part 4, 493-519, 2011.
15. Girka, V. O., I. O. Girka, Y. I. Morgal, and I. V. Pavlenko, "Excitation of azimuthal surface modes by annular electron beams in the range of electron cyclotron frequency," Physica Scripta, Vol. 84, 025505, 2011.
16. Wu, J.-J., T.-J. Yang, and L. Shen, "Subwavelength microwave guiding by a periodical corrugated metal wire," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 11-19, 2009.
17. Zhang, X., L. Shen, J.-J. Wu, and T.-J. Yang, "Terahertz surface plasmon polaritons on a periodically structured metal film with high confinement and low loss," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2451-2460, 2009.
18. Girka, O. I., V. O. Girka, I. O. Girka, and I. V. Pavlenko, "Effect of the shape of the cross section of a plasma-dielectric interface on the dispersion properties of azimuthal surface modes," Plasma Physics Reports, Vol. 23, No. 2, 91-101, 2007.
19. Girka, O. I. , V. O. Girka, I. O. Girka, and I. V. Pavlenko, "Resonant e®ect of the noncircular shape of the plasma surface on the dispersion properties of extraordinary azimuthal surface modes in magnetoactive waveguides," Plasma Physics Reports, Vol. 23, No. 7, 543-552, 2007.
20. Aliev, Y. M. , H. Schluter, and A. Shivarova, Guided-wave Produced Plasmas, Springer, New York, 2000.
21. Cojocaru, E., "Waveguides filled with bilayers of double-negative (DNG) and double-positive (DPS) metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 32, 75-90, 2011.
22. Dmitriev, V. A. and A. O. Silva, "Nonreciprocal properties of surface plasmon-polaritons at the interface between two magnetized media: Exact analytical solutions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 177-186, 2011.
23. Lazarus, E. A., et al., "A comparison of sawtooth oscillations in bean and oval shaped plasmas," Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion, Vol. 48, No. 2, L65-L72, 2006.
24. Karpov, S. Y. and S. N. Stolyarov, "Propagation and transformation of electromagnetic waves in one-dimensional periodic structures," Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 36, No. 1, 1-22, 1993.
25. Kumar, V., M. Mishra, and N. K. Joshi, "Study of a fluorescent tube as plasma antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 17-26, 2011.