This paper investigates the problem of wave propagation on periodic building façade with ray tracing method. Compared with the common practice, which is to replace a complex building structure with a flat surface and cause reduction in simulation accuracy, in this research, the Uniform Theory of Diffraction (UTD) is utilized with ray tracing method to include diffraction effects on building facades in propagation simulation. Two scenarios have been modelled which are Moore Hall's façade and Malaysia shop houses respectively. First, the façade models were created based on real buildings, and propagation simulations were conducted for flat surface and knife edge approximations. Then, for different approximations, the accuracy of simulation results was further examined, which varied with the degree of simplification and the frequency of the signal. Also, the computation time was evaluated to consider the speed of simulation. This study is beneficial to the improvement of accuracy in propagation prediction and supports the development of ray-tracing propagation prediction software and the design of wireless communication system.
2. Kouyoumjian, R. G. and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of diffraction for an edge in a perfectly conducting surface," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 62, No. 11, 1448-1461, Nov. 1974.
3. Landron, O., M. J. Feuerstein, and T. S. Rappaport, "A comparison of theoretical and empirical reflection coefficients for typical exterior wall surfaces in a mobile radio environment," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 3, 341-351, 1996.
4. Pena, D., R. Feick, H. D. Hristov, and W. Grote, "Measurement and modelling of propagation losses in brick and concrete walls for the 900-MHz band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 1, 31-39, 2003.
5. Kwon, S., I.-S. Koh, H.-W. Moon, J.-W. Lim, and Y. J. Yoon, "Model of inhomogeneous building fa¸cade for ray tracing method," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 23, 1341-1342, 2008.
6. Hsiao, A., C. Yang, T. Wang, I. Lin, and W. Liao, "Ray tracing simulations for millimeter wave propagation in 5G wireless communications," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1901-1902, San Diego, CA, 2017.
7. Lim, S. Y., Z. Yun, and M. F. Iskander, "Modeling scattered EM field from a periodic building facade," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Toronto, ON, 2010.
8. Dimitriou, A. G. and G. D. Sergiadis, "Architectural features and urban propagation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, 774-784, 2006.
9. Jacob, M., S. Priebe, R. Dickhoff, T. Kleine-Ostmann, T. Schrader, and T. Kurner, "Diffraction in mm and sub-mm wave indoor propagation channels," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 3, 833-844, Mar. 2012.
10. Ghaddar, M., L. Talbi, G. Y. Delisle, and J. Le Bel, "Deflecting-obstacle effects on signal propagation in the 60 GHz band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 1, 403-414, Jan. 2013.
11. Albani, M., G. Carluccio, and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of diffraction for vertices formed by truncated curved wedges," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 7, 3136-3143, Jul. 2015.
12. Chou, H., "UTD-type ray analysis of electromagnetic scattering from planar finite periodic structures," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Davos, 2016.
13. Rasekh, M. E., A. Shishegar, and F. Farzaneh, "A study of the effect of diffraction and rough surface scatter modeling on ray tracing results in an urban environment at 60 GHz," 2009 First Conference on Millimeter-Wave and Terahertz Technologies (MMWaTT), 27-31, Tehran, 2009.
14. Cuinas, I., M. G. Sanchez, and A. V. Alejos, "Depolarization due to scattering on walls in the 5 GHz band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1804-1812, Jun. 2009.
15. Alejos, A. V., M. G. Sanchez, and I. Cuinas, "Measurement and analysis of propagation mechanisms at 40 GHz: Viability of site shielding forced by obstacles," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 57, No. 6, 3369-3380, Mar. 2008.
16. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2012.
17. Ong, J. S. P., Architecture portfolio, [Online], available: https://jeffspong.wixsite.com/ongsengpeng0319016/practicum-semester [Accessed: 05- Apr- 2020].
18. Bertoni Henry, L., Radio Propagation for Modern Wireless Systems, Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference, 1999.