The shaping of dispersion characteristics in a variant of discloaded circular waveguide was studied through electromagnetic analysis for assessing the structure for wideband coalescence of the beam- and waveguide-mode dispersion characteristics that entails the wideband gyrotravelling-wave tube (gyro-TWT) performance. In this variant of disc-loaded circular waveguide, the alternate disc-hole radii were varying, however, the structure was periodic. The structure periodicity coupled with Floquet's theorem and field-matching technique resulted into the dispersion relation of the infinitely long structure. A numerical code was developed to solve the dispersion relation, and the dispersion characteristics of the structure were analyzed for the azimuthally symmetric TE-modes. The effects of structure parameters were studied for getting a straight-line portion of the dispersion characteristics over a wide frequency range. The dispersion shaping was projected for typically chosen TE01-mode. The results were validated against those obtained for the conventional and un-conventional known structures and those obtained using commercially available simulation tool. The variation of azimuthal electric field intensity over the radial coordinate was also studied to examine the control of structure parameter for maximaposition, where the gyrating electron beam would be positioned for optimum beam-wave interaction in a gyro-TWT.
1. Lin, H.-N. and C.-C. Tang, "Analysis and design for high-gain antenna with periodic structures," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 2, 181-184, 2010. doi:10.2529/PIERS090905024125
2. Dehdasht-Heydari, R. , H. R. Hassani, and A. R. Mallahzadeh, "A new 2-18 GHz quad-ridged horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 183-195, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08010103
3. Dai, , G. L. and M. Y. Xia, "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 235-243, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09120401
4. Yang, M. H., J. Xu, Q. Zhao, L. Peng, G. P. Li, "Compact, broad-stopband lowpass filters using sirs-loaded circular hairpin resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 95-106, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09120901
5. Chiou, Y.-C., P.-S. Yang, J.-T. Kuo, and C.-Y.Wu, "Transmission zero design graph for dual-mode dual-band filter with periodic stepped-impedance ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 23-36, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071608
6. Butt, H., Q. Dai, T. D. Wilkinson, and G. A. J. Amaratunga, "Photonic crystals & metamaterial filters based on 2D arrays of silicon nanopillars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 179-194, 2011.
7. Wu, C.-J., Y.-H. Chung, B.-J. Syu, and T.-J. Yang, "Band gap extension in a one-dimensional ternary metal-dielectric photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 81-93, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10012004
8. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, K. Song, and Z. Zhang, "A novel multi-band electromagnetic band-gap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,, Vol. 9, 67-74, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09042302
9. Jandieri, V., K. Yasumoto, and Y.-K. Cho, "Rigorous analysis of electromagnetic scattering by cylindrical EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 317-342, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11090903
10. Escorcia-Garcia, J. and M. E. Mora-Ramos, "Study of optical propagation in hybrid periodic/quasiregular structures based on porous silicon," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 2, 167-170, 2009. doi:10.2529/PIERS080906010703
11. Wei, S., Y. Lin, and T. Higo, "A new method for dispersion curves of HOM in periodical axisymmetric accelerating structures," Proc. 2nd Asian Particle Accelerator Conf., 153-155, Beijing, China, 2001.
12. Hu, Y. , C. Tang, H. Chen, Y. Lin, and D. Tong, "An X-band disk and washer accelerating structure for electron accelerators," Proc. Particle Accelerator Conf., 975-977, Chicago, 2001.
13. Amin, M. R. and K. Ogura, "Dispersion characteristics of a rectangularly corrugated cylindrical slow-wave structure driven by a non-relativistic annular electron beam," IET Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 3, 575-579, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060279
14. Ding, S., B. Jia, F. Li, and Z. Zhu, "3D Simulation of 18-vane 5.8 GHz magnetron," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1925-1930, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787537946
15. Malek, F., "The analytical design of a folded waveguide traveling wave tube and small signal gain analysis using Madey's theorem," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 137-162, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092604
16. Mulcahy, T., H. Song, and F. Francisco, "New method of integrating periodic permanent magnet (PPM) assembly in traveling wave tubes (TWTs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 10, 187-199, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09082907
17. Jain, P. K. and B. N. Basu, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through helical structures," Electromagnetic Fields in Unconven-tional Materials, O. N. Singh and A. Lakhtakia, Ed., John Wiley & Sons, USA, 2000.
18. Hou, Y., J. Xu, H.-R. Yin, Y.-Y. Wei, L.-N. Yue, G. Zhao, and Y.-B. Gong, "Equivalent circuit analysis of ridge-loaded folded-waveguide slow-wave structures for millimeter-wave traveling-wave tubes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 215-229, 2012.
19. Liu, Y., J. Xu, Y.-Y. Wei, X. Xu, F. Shen, M. Huang, T. Tang, W.-X. Wang, Y.-B. Gong, and J. Feng, "Design of a V-band high-power sheet-beam coupled-cavity traveling-wave tube," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 31-45, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11092906
20. Jerby, E. and G. Bekefi, "Cyclotron maser experiments in a periodic wave guide," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 48, No. 6, 4637-4641, 1993. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.48.4637
22. Barroso, J. J., R. A. Correa, and P. J. de Castro, "Gyrotron coaxial cylindrical resonators with corrugated inner conductor: Theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 46, No. 9, 1221-1230, Sep. 1998. doi:10.1109/22.709460
23. Zaginaylov, G. I. and I. V. Mitina, "Electromagnetic analysis of coaxial gyrotron cavity with the inner conductor having corrugations of an arbitrary shape," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 31, 339-356, 2011.
24. Thumm, M., "State-of-the-art of high-power gyro-devices and free electron masers, update 2011,", Scientific Report KITSR 7606,Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany, Jan. 2012.
25. Singh, G., "Analytical study of the interaction structure of vane-loaded gyro-traveling wave tube amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 41-66, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08010402
26. Qiu, C. R., Z. B. Ouyang, S. C. Zhang, H. B. Zhang, and J. B. Jin, "Self-consistent nonlinear investigation of an outer-slotted-coaxial waveguide gyrotron traveling-wave amplifier," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 33, No. 3, 1013-1018, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1109/TPS.2005.848600
27. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analytical approaches to a disc loaded cylindrical waveguide for potential application in wideband gyro-TWTs," EEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 32, No. 5, 2144-2151, Oct. 2004. doi:10.1109/TPS.2004.835518
28. Kesari, V., Analysis of Disc-loaded Circular Waveguides for Wideband Gyro-TWTs, LAP | Lambert Academic Publishing AG & Co., Germany, 2009, (ISBN: 978-3-8383-1145-6).
29. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analysis of a circular waveguide loaded with thick annular metal discs for wideband gyro-TWTs," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 33, No. 4, 1358-1365, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1109/TPS.2005.852393
30. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analysis of a disc-loaded circular waveguide for interaction impedance of a gyrotron amplifier," Int. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 26, No. 8, 1093-1110, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1007/s10762-005-7270-9
31. Kesari, V., "Beam-absent analysis of disc-loaded-coaxial waveguide for its application in gyro-TWT (Part-1)," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 109, 211-227, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071305
32. Kesari, V., "Beam-present analysis of disc-loaded-coaxial waveguide for its application in gyro-TWT (Part-2)," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 109, 229-243, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071505
33. Yue, L., W. Wang, Y. Wei, and Y. Gong, "Approach to a coaxial arbitrary-shaped groove cylindrical waveguide for application in wideband gyro-TWTs," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 35, No. 3, 551-558, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1109/TPS.2007.896982
34. Kesari, V. , P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Modeling of axially periodic circular waveguide with combined dielectric and metal loading," J. Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 38, 3523-3529, Sep. 2005. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/38/18/030
35. Kesari, V. and J. P. Keshari, "Analysis of a circular Analysis of a circular," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 111, 253-269, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110207
36. Choe, J. Y. and H. S. Uhm, "Theory of gyrotron amplifiers in disc or helix loaded waveguides," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 6, 729-741, Jun. 1982. doi:10.1080/00207218208901564
37. Leou, K. C., T. Pi, D. B. Mcdermott, and N. C. Luhmann Jr., "Circuit design for a wideband disc loaded gyro-TWT amplifier," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 26, No. 3, 488-495, Jun. 1998. doi:10.1109/27.700782
38. Denisov, G. G., V. L. Bratman, A. W. Cross, W. He, A. D. R. Phelps, K. Ronald, S. V. Samsonov, and C. G. Whyte, "Gyrotron traveling wave amplifier with a helical interaction waveguide," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 81, No. 25, 5680-5683, Dec. 1998. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.81.5680
39. Rao, S. J., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Hybrid-mode helix-loading Hybrid-mode helix-loading," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 82, No. 6, 663-675, Jun. 1997. doi:10.1080/002072197135814
40. Rao, S. J., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Broadbanding of gyro-TWT by dielectric-loading through dispersion shaping," IEEE Trans. on Electron Dev., Vol. 43, No. 12, 2290-2299, Dec. 1996. doi:10.1109/16.544423