This paper presents a combinatorial triangle type artificial magnetic conductor checkerboard surface for wideband radar cross section reduction. The structure consists of a combination of a single band and dual band AMC unit cells with 180±370 phase difference from 4.06 GHZ to 11.2 GHz. 10 dB RCS reduction compared to PEC surface is realized from 4.4 GHz to 11.68 GHz (91%) for the proposed structure. The performance of the structure is compared with the conventional checkerboard surface. The distribution of scattered fields from both the structures are analyzed using array theory. The angular stability of the structures are also studied for TE and TM polarized wave incidences. A prototype of the proposed structure is fabricated, and the measured data are in good agreement with simulated results.
Vadakkekalathil Libi Mol,
"Wideband Radar Cross Section Reduction Using Artificial Magnetic Conductor Checkerboard Surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 69, 171-183, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18030303
1. Knott, E. F., M. T. Tuley, and J. F. Shaeffer, Radar Cross Section, 2nd Ed., SciTech Publishing, Inc., Raleigh, NC, USA, 2004.
2. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. Broas, N. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovicth, "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces in a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
3. Tran, H. H. and I. Park, "Wideband circularly polarized low-profile antenna using artificial magnetic conductor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 7, 889-897, 2016. doi:10.1080/09205071.2016.1164629
4. Feresidis, A. P., G. Goussetis, S. Wang, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Artificial magnetic conductor surfaces and their application to low-profile high-gain planar antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 209-215, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840528
5. Costa, F. and A. Monorchio, "Electromagnetic absorbers on high impedance surfaces: From ultra narrowband to ultra wideband absorption," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 1, No. 3, 7, Oct. 2012. doi:10.7716/aem.v1i3.22
6. Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "Perfect metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 23, 207402, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.100.207402
7. Fernandez Alvarez, H., et al. "A six-fold symmetric metamaterial absorber," Materials, Vol. 8, No. 4, 1590-1603, 2015. doi:10.3390/ma8041590
8. Shang, Y., Z. Shen, and S. Xiao, "On the design of single-layer circuit analog absorber using doublesquare- loop array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 12, 6022-6029, Dec. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2280836
9. Li, M., S. Xiao, Y. Y. Bai, and B. Z. Wang, "An ultrathin and broadband radar absorber using resistive FSS," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 748-751, 2012.
10. Paquay, M., J.-C. Iriarte, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Thin AMC structure for radar cross-section reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.910306
11. Galarregui, J. C. I., A. T. Pereda, J. L. M. De Falcon, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Broad band radar cross section reduction using AMC technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 12, Dec. 2013.
12. Chen, W., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Checker board EBG surfaces for wideband radar cross section reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 6, Jun. 2015.
13. Chen, W., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Dual wide-band checkerboard surfaces for radar cross section reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 9, 4133-4138, Sept. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2583505
14. Hong, T., H. Dong, J. Wang, H. Ning, Y. Wei, and L. Mao, "A novel combinatorial triangle-type AMC structure for RCS reduction," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 2728-2732, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29427
15. Zhuang, Y.-Q., G.-M. Wang, and H.-X. Xu, "Ultra-wideband RCS reduction using novel configured chessboard metasurface," Chinese Physics B, Vol. 26, No. 5, 054101, 2017. doi:10.1088/1674-1056/26/5/054101
16. Cui, T. J., M. Q. Qi, X.Wan, J. Zhao, and Q. Cheng, "Coding metamaterials, digital metamaterials and programmable metamaterials," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 3, 1-9, 2014.
17. Liu, X., J. Gao, L. Xu, X. Cao, Y. Zhao, and S. Li, "A coding diffuse metasurface for RCS reduction," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 724-727, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2601108
18. Han, T., X.-Y. Cao, J. Gao, Y.-L. Zhao, and Y. Zhao, "A coding metasurface with properties of absorption and diffusion for RCS reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 75, 181-191, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17041201
19. Zhuang, Y., et al. "Random combinatorial gradient metasurface for broadband, wide-angle and polarization-independent diffusion scattering," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, Article number: 16560, 2017.
20. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "Wideband scattering diffusion by using diffraction of periodic surfaces and optimized unit cell geometries," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 25458, 2016. doi:10.1038/srep25458
21. Zheng, Q., Y. Li, J. Zhang, et al. "Wideband, wide-angle coding phase gradient metasurfaces based on Pancharatnam-Berry phase," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 43543, 2017. doi:10.1038/srep43543
22. Modi, A. Y., C. A. Balanis, C. R. Birtcher, and H. N. Shaman, "Novel design of ultrabroadband radar cross section reduction surfaces using artificial magnetic conductors," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 10, 5406-5417, Oct. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2734069
23. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez, and F. Las-Heras, "A novel approach for RCS reduction using a combination of artificial magnetic conductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 147-159, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10060402
24. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez-Lopez, and F. Las Heras Andres, "On the influence of coupling AMC resonances for RCS reduction in the SHF band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 103-119, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11040103
25. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2005.
26. Costa, F., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "On the bandwidth of high-impedance frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1341-1344, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2038346
27. De Cos, M. E. and F. Las-Heras, "On the advantages of loop-based unit-cell’s metallization regarding the angular stability of artificial magnetic conductors," Applied Physics A, Vol. 118, No. 2, 699-708, 2015. doi:10.1007/s00339-014-8782-8
28. Alvarez, Y., M. E. de Cos, and F. Las-Heras, "RCS measurement setup for periodic-structure prototype characterization," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 3, 100-106, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5586586