This paper presents a novel Y shaped fractal defected ground structure (FDGS) for the mutual coupling (MC) reduction between coplanar closely spaced microstrip antennas. The proposed FDGS has band-gap characteristic, which induces the current distribution on the antenna patch. This will contribute to achieving 25 dB MC reduction. When realizing the MC reduction, the antenna efficiency is increased. Moreover, the envelope correlation of the MIMO system is decreased, which helps to increase the MIMO system capacity.
"The Novel Y Shaped Fractal Defected Ground Structure for the Mutual Coupling Reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 72, 13-21, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18062301
1. Fletcher, P. N., M. Dean, and A. R. Nix, "Mutual coupling in multi element array antennas and its influence on MIMO channel capacity," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 4, 342-344, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030219
2. Getu, B. N. and R. Janaswamy, "The effect of mutual coupling on the capacity of the MIMO cube," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 240-244, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.852579
3. Lu, S., T. Hui, and M. Bialkowski, "Optimizing MIMO channel capacities under the influence of antenna mutual coupling," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 287-290, 2008.
4. Ludwig, A., "Mutual coupling, gain and directivity of an array of two identical antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 24, No. 6, 837-841, Nov. 1976. doi:10.1109/TAP.1976.1141440
5. Zhang, S., A. A. Glazunov, Z. Ying, and S. He, "Reduction of the envelope correlation coefficient with improved total efficiency for mobile LTE MIMO antenna arrays: Mutual scattering mode," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 6, 3280-3291, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2248071
6. Li, H., J. Xiong, and S. He, "A compact planar MIMO antenna system of four elements with similar radiation characteristics and isolation structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1107-1110, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2034110
7. Ibrahim, A. A., M. A. Abdalla, A. B. Abdel-rahman, and H. F. A. Hamed, "Compact MIMO antenna with optimized mutual coupling reduction using DGS," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 6, No. 2, 173-180, 2014. doi:10.1017/S1759078713001013
8. Hafezifard, R., M. Naser-Moghadasi, J. R. Mohassel, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Mutual coupling reduction for two closely spaced meander line antennas using metamaterial substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 40-43, 2016.
9. Zhang, S., B. K. Lau, Y. Tan, Z. Ying, and S. L. He, "Mutual coupling reduction of two PIFAs with a T-shape slot impedance transformer for MIMO mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1521-1531, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180329
10. Zhang, S., S. N. Khan, and S. L. He, "Reducing mutual coupling for an extremely closely-packed tunable dual-element PIFA array through a resonant slot antenna formed in-between," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2771-2776, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2050432
11. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898618
12. Zhu, F. G., J. D. Xu, and Q. Xu, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements using defected ground structure," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 12, 601-602, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.0985
13. Habashi, J. Nourinia and C. Ghobadi, "Mutual coupling reduction between very closely spaced patch antennas using low-profile folded split-ring resonators (FSRRs)," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 862-865, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2165931
14. Gheethan, A. A., P. A. Herzig, and G. Mumcu, "Compact 2×2 coupled double loop GPS antenna array loaded with broadside coupled split ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 6, 3000-3008, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2253539
15. Yang, X. M., X. G. Liu, X. Y. Zhou, and T. J. Cui, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely packed patch antennas using waveguided metamaterials," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 389-391, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2193111
16. Li, Q., A. P. Feresidis, M. Mavridou, and P. S. Hall, "Miniaturized double-layer EBG structures for broadband mutual coupling reduction between UWB monopoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 1168-1171, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2387871
17. Qi, H. Y., L. L. Liu, X. X. Yin, H. X. Zhao, and W. J. Kulesza, "Mutual coupling suppression between two closely spaced microstrip antennas with an asymmetrical coplanar strip wall," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 191-194, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2437995
18. Qi, H. Y., X. X. Yin, and H. X. Zhao, "A hybrid solution for mutual coupling reduction between closely spaced microstrip antennas," 2015 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 3, 1-3, 2015.
19. Park, C. H. and H.W. Son, "Mutual coupling reduction between closely spaced microstrip antennas by means of H-shaped conducting wall," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 13, 1093-1094, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.1339
20. Hammoodi, A. I., H. M. Al-Rizzl, and A. A. Isaac, "Mutual coupling reduction between two monopole antennas using fractal based DGS," IEEE Inter. Symp. on Antennas and Propag. and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 416-417, 2015.
21. Kakaoyiannis, C. G. and P. Constantinuo, "Reducing coupling in compact arrays for WSN nodes via pre-fractal defected ground structures," Proceeding of the 39th European Microwave Conference, Roma, Italy, 2009.
22. Kumar, N. and U. Kiran Kommuri, "MIMO antenna mutual coupling reduction for WLAN using spiro meander line UC-EBG," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 65-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17101601