Artificial noise (AN) aided method in mmWave is hard to realize due to large transmit antennas and also requires additional power. This paper proposes coding matrix secure transmission based on quadrature spatial modulation (QSM) utilizing a frequency modulated diverse retrospective array (FMD-RDA). Specifically, we adopt coding matrix for frequency increment with QSM symbols to form part of FMD-RDA angular-range array factor. Consequently, low probability of detection (LPD) is created during the QSM transmission without additional power. The desired receiver should know the particular coding matrix a priori. Importantly, the system has automatic user tracking ability with no channel state information (CSI) needed at the desired receiver and can handle receivers with highly correlated channels. Further, secrecy outage probability (SOP), asymptotic lower bound on eavesdropper's (Eve's) detecting error probability and average data leakage rate are analyzed without Eve's CSI. Simulation results show that increasing the coding matrix, satisfactory secrecy is attained for the proposed scheme. Moreover, through the results certain essential secrecy information has been highlighted that is not captured by the classical SOP making the proposed scheme an attractive technique for QSM applications.
Shaddrack Yaw Nusenu,
"Energy-Efficient Coding Matrix FMD-RDA Secure Transmission Scheme Based on Quadrature Spatial Modulation for mmWave
Systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 80, 133-143, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19021403
1. Xiao, M., S. Mumtaz, Y. Huang, et al. "Millimeter wave communications for future mobile networks," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 35, No. 9, 1909-1935, Sep. 2017.
2. Niu, Y., Y. Li, D. Jin, et al. "A survey of millimeter wave communications (mmwave) for 5G: opportunities and challenges," Wireless Networks, Vol. 21, No. 8, 2657-2676, Apr. 2015.
3. Andrews, J. G., T. Bai, M. N. Kulkarni, et al. "Modeling and analyzing millimeter wave cellular systems," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 65, No. 1, 403-430, Jan. 2017.
4. Zhang, J. A., X. J. Huang, V. Dyadyuk, and Y. J. Guo, "Massive hybrid antenna array for millimeter wave cellular communications," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 79-87, Feb. 2015.
5. Mohammad, A., B. S. Virdee, A. Ali, and E. Limiti, "Extended aperture miniature antenna based on CRLH metamaterials for wireless communication systems operating over UHF to C-band," Radio Science, Vol. 53, No. 2, 154-165, Feb. 2018.
6. Mohammad, A., B. S. Virdee, P. Shukla, et al. "Interaction between closely packed array antenna elements using meta-surface for applications such as mimo systems and synthetic aperture radars," Radio Science, Vol. 53, No. 11, 1368-1381, Nov. 2018.
7. Mohammad, A., B. S. Virdee, C. H. See, et al. "Study on isolation improvement between closely-packed patch antenna arrays based on fractal metamaterial electromagnetic bandgap structures," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 14, 2241-2247, Nov. 28, 2018.
8. Mohammad, A., B. S. Virdee, P. Shukla, et al. "Meta-surface wall suppression of mutual coupling between microstrip patch antenna arrays for THz-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 75, 105-111, 2018.
9. Mohammad, A., M. N.-M. Mohammad, R. A. Sadeghzadeh, et al. "Traveling-wave antenna based on metamaterial transmission line structure for use in multiple wireless communication applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 12, 1645-1650, Dec. 2016.
10. Mohammad, A., M. N.-M. Mohammad, R. A. Sadeghzadeh, et al. "New CRLH-based planar slotted antennas with Helical inductors for wireless communication systems, RF-circuits and microwave devices at UHF-SHF bands," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 92, No. 3, 1029-1038, Feb. 2017.
11. Mohammad, A., E. Limiti, M. N.-M. Mohammad, and et. al., "A new wideband planar antenna with band-notch functionality at GPS, bluetooth and WiFi bands for integration in portable wireless systems," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 72, 79-85, Feb. 2017.
12. Mohammad, A., B. S. Virdee, A. Ali, and E. Limiti, "Miniaturized planar-patch antenna based on metamaterial L-shaped unit-cells for broadband portable microwave devices and multiband wireless communication systems," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 7, 1080-1086, Jun. 13, 2018.
13. Massimo, M. D., M. Toshifumi, and M. M. Hanifbhai, "A compact switched-beam planar antenna array for wireless sensors operating at Wi-Fi band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 83, 137-145, 2018.
14. Donelli, M. and P. Febvre, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012.
15. Mesleh, R. Y., H. Haas, S. Sinanovic, et al. "Spatial modulation," IEEE Transactions Veh. Technol., Vol. 57, No. 4, 2228-2241, Jul. 2008.
16. Di Renzo, M., H. Haas, A. Ghrayeb, et al. "Spatial modulation for generalized MIMO: Challenges, opportunities, and implementation," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 102, No. 1, 56-103, Jan. 2014.
17. He, L., J. Wang, C. Zhang, and J. Song, "Improving the performance of spatial modulation by phase-only pre-scaling," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Communications (ICC), 3210-3215, London, U.K., Jun. 2015.
18. Li, X. and L. Wang, "High rate space-time block coded spatial modulation with cyclic structure," IEEE Communications Lett., Vol. 18, No. 4, 532-535, Apr. 2014.
19. Stavridis, A., S. Sinanovic, M. D. Renzo, and H. Haas, "Transmit precoding for receive spatial modulation using imperfect channel knowledge," Proc. IEEE 75th Veh. Technol. Conf. (VTC Spring), 1-5, Yokohama, Japan, May 2012.
20. Nusenu, S. Y. and W. Q. Wang, "Range-dependent spatial modulation using frequency diverse array for OFDM wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 67, No. 11, 10886-10895, 2018.
21. Hong, Y.-W. P., P.-C. Lan, and C.-C. J. Kuo, "Enhancing physical layer secrecy in multiantenna wireless systems: An overview of signal processing approaches," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 30, No. 5, 29-40, Aug. 2013.
22. Zou, Y. and J. Zhu, Physical Layer Security for Cooperative Relay Networks, Springer, New Year, NY, USA, 2016.
23. Trappe, W., "The challenges facing physical layer security," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 16-20, Jun. 2015.
24. Xiong, Q., Y. Gong, and Y.-C. Liang, "Achieving secrecy capacity of MISO fading wiretap channels with artificial noise," Proc. IEEE Wireless Commun. Netw. Conf. (WCNC), 1-5, Shanghai, China, Apr. 2013.
25. Sun, L., P. Ren, Q. Du, et al. "Security-aware relaying scheme for cooperative networks with untrusted relay nodes," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 3, 463-466, Mar. 2015.
26. Guan, X., Y. Cai, and W. Yang, "On the mutual information and precoding for spatial modulation with finite alphabet," IEEE Wireless Commun. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 4, 383-386, Aug. 2013.
27. Yang, L.-L., "Transmitter preprocessing aided spatial modulation for multiple-input multiple-output systems," Proc. IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf. (VTC-Spring), 1-5, Budapest, Hungary, May 2011.
28. Wu, F., R. Zhang, L.-L. Yang, and W. Wang, "Transmitter precoding aided spatial modulation for secrecy communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 65, No. 1, 467-471, Jan. 2016.
29. Wu, F., L. L. Yang, W. Wang, and Z. Kong, "Secret precoding-aided spatial modulation," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 9, 1544-1547, Sep. 2015.
30. Wang, L., S. Bashar, Y. Wei, and R. Li, "Secrecy enhancement analysis against unknown eavesdropping in spatial modulation," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 8, 1351-1354, Aug. 2015.
31. Chen, Y., L. Wang, Z. Zhao, et al. "Secure multiuser MIMO downlink transmission via precoding-aided spatial modulation," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 6, 1116-1119, Jun. 2016.
32. Mesleh, R., S. S. Ikki, and H. M. Aggoune, "Quadrature spatial modulation," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 64, No. 6, 2738-2742, Jun. 2015.
33. Huang, Z., Z. Gao, and L. Sun, "Anti-eavesdropping scheme based on quadrature spatial modulation," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 3, 532-535, Mar. 2017.
34. Ju, Y., H.-M. Wang, T.-X. Zheng, and Q. Yin, "Secure transmissions in millimeter wave systems," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 65, No. 5, 2114-2127, May 2017.
35. Lin, J., Q. Li, J. Yang, et al. "Physical-layer security for proximal legitimate user and eavesdropper: A frequency diverse array beamforming approach," IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics And Security, Vol. 13, No. 3, 671-684, Mar. 2018.
36. Fusco, V. and N. Buchanan, "Developments in retrodirective array technology," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 2, 131-140, May 2013.
37. Ding, Y. and V. F. Fusco, "A synthesis-free directional modulation transmitter using retrodirective array," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 11, No. 2, 428-441, Mar. 2017.
38. Yao, A.-M., W. Wu, and D.-G. Fang, "Frequency diverse array phase conjugating retrodirective array with simultaneous range-focusing capability for multi-targets," Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-3, Nanjing, China, Dec. 2015.
39. Wang, W. Q., "Retrodirective frequency diverse array focusing for wireless information and power transfer," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 37, No. 1, 61-73, 2019.
40. Mesleh, R. and S. Ikki, "On the impact of imperfect channel knowledge on the performance of quadrature spatial modulation," Proc. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 534-538, Mar. 2015.
41. Younis, A., R. Mesleh, and H. Haas, "Quadrature spatial modulation performance over Nakagamim fading channels," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Tech., Vol. 65, No. 12, 10227-10231, Dec. 2016.
42. Afana, A., R. Mesleh, S. Ikki, and I. Atawi, "Performance of quadrature spatial modulation in amplify-and-forward cooperative relaying," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 2, 240-243, Feb. 2016.
43. Shu, F., Z.Wang, R. Chen, et al. "Two high-performance schemes of transmit antenna selection for secure spatial modulation," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 67, No. 9, 8969-8973, Sep. 2018.
44. Golomb, S. W. and H. Taylor, "Constructions and properties of Costas arrays," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 72, No. 9, 1143-1163, Sep. 1984.
45. Levanon, N. and E. Mozeson, Radar Signals, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2004.
46. Buchanan, N. B., V. F. Fusco, and M. Van Der Vorst, "Phase conjugating circuit with frequency offset beam pointing error correction facility for precision retrodirective antenna applications," Proceedings of the 41st European Microwave Conference, 1281-1283, Manchester, UK, Oct. 2011.
47. Wyner, A. D., "The wire-tap channel," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 54, No. 8, 1355-1387, Oct. 1975.
48. He, B., X. Zhou, and A. Lee Swindlehurst, "On secrecy metrics for physical layer security over quasi-static fading channels," IEEE Transactions On Wireless Communications, Vol. 15, No. 10, 6913-6924, Oct. 2016.
49. Zhou, X., M. R. McKay, B. Maham, and A. Hjungnes, "Rethinking the secrecy outage formulation: A secure transmission design perspective," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 3, 302-304, Mar. 2011.