In the present day scenario, the need for 5G technology is increasing daily, so we design a reconfigurable antenna working in the millimeter-wave range (25 GHz-30 GHz). The antenna is designed using HFSS software, and the antenna is loaded with compact planar metamaterial. This design includes 9 unit cells arranged in a 3 x 3 array, and each unit cell is made up of a hexagonal patch surrounded by a split ring resonator. Apart from this two-unit cells are connected using pin diodes. By operating these two pin diodes in different modes we get four different characteristics. The designed antenna radiates at 27 GHz with a gain of 3.75 dB to 4 dB. The designed antenna is compact and easy to fabricate with dimensions of 30 mm x 23 mm.
Neelaveni Ammal Murugan,
Boddapati Taraka Phani Madhav,
Naladimmu Kartheek Ram Reddy,
"Millimeter-Wave Reconfigurable Antenna for 5G Wireless Communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 101, 107-115, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21070902
1. Kim, G. and S. Kim, "Design and analysis of dual polarized broadband microstrip patch antenna for 5G mm-Wave antenna module on FR4 substrate," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 64306-64316, ISSN: 2169-3536, April 26, 2021. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3075495
2. Singh, R. K. and S. K. Koul, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with polarization switching in three switchable frequency bands," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 119376-119386, ISSN: 2169-3536, June 29, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3005482
3. Hussain, N., A. Abbas, and N. Kim, "Metasurface-based single-layer wideband circularly polarized MIMO antenna for 5G millimeter-wave systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 130293-130304, ISSN: 2169-3536, July 15, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3009380
4. Jin, G., J. Yang, and Y. Xu, "A new differentially-fed frequency reconfigurable antenna for WLAN and sub-6 GHz 5G applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 56539-56546, ISSN: 2169-3536, February 26, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2901760
5. Al-Yasir, Y. N., R. Abd-Alhameed, and J. Noras, "A new polarization-reconfigurable antenna for 5G applications," Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 11, 293, 2018, doi: 10.3390/electronics7110293. doi:10.3390/electronics7110293
6. Hussain, N., et al. "A compact exible frequency reconfigurable antenna for heterogeneous applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 173298-173307, ISSN: 2169-3536, September 2020.
7. Iqbal, A., J. Rodriguez, and S. Kim, "Frequency and pattern reconfigurable antenna for emerging wireless communication systems," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 4, 407, 2019, doi: 10.3390/electronics8040407. doi:10.3390/electronics8040407
8. Saeed, S. M., C. A. Balanis, C. R. Birtcher, A. C. Durgun, and H. N. Shaman, "Wearable exible reconfigurable antenna integrated with artificial magnetic conductor," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2396-2399, 2017, doi: 10.1109/lawp.2017.2720558. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2720558
9. Ni, C., "Design of frequency- and polarization-reconfigurable antenna based on the polarization conversion metasurface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 78-81, 2018, doi: 10.1109/lawp.2017.2775444. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2775444
10. Ojaroudi Parchin, N., et al. "Frequency reconfigurable antenna array for MM-Wave 5G mobile handsets," Broadband Communications, Networks, and Systems, 438-445, 2018, doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-05195-2 43.
11. Towq, M. A. and B. A. Cetiner, "A reconfigurable antenna with beam steering and beamwidth variability for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 10, 5052-5063, 2018, doi: 10.1109/tap.2018.2855668. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2855668
12. Da Costa, I. F., et al. "Optically controlled reconfigurable antenna array for mm-Wave applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2142-2145, 2017, doi: 10.1109/lawp.2017.2700284. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2700284
13. Salemal-Bawri, S., M. T. Islam, T. Shabbir, and G. Mohamad, "Hexagonal shaped NZI MTM based MIMO antenna for mm-Wave application," IEEE Access, 2020.
14. Munawar, H. S., "An overview of reconfigurable antennas for wireless body area networks and possible future prospects," International Journal of Wireless and Microwave Technologies, Vol. 10, No. 2, 1-8, April 2020, doi: 10.5815/ijwmt.2020.02.01. doi:10.5815/ijwmt.2020.02.01
15. Farooq, W., M. Ur-Rehman, Q. H. Abbasi, and K. Qaraqe, "A circular patch frequency reconfigurable antenna for wearable applications," 2015 IEEE 11th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications, October 19-21, 2015, doi: 10.1109/WiMOB.2015.7347947.