A dual-band wideband circularly polarized (CP) microstrip antenna is proposed for sub-6G application. The antenna consists of an upper L-shaped radiator and two circular strips on the ground. This produces the right-handed circular polarization (RHCP) in the Wi-Fi (2.4-2.48 GHz) and n77 (3.3-4.2 GHz) band with the help of two circular strips at the left and right corners on the lower ground. The antenna occupies a small radiating area of 45×45×1.0 mm3. The measured results show wide -10 dB reflection coefficient bandwidths of 46.4%（1.82-2.92 GHz）and 40.5% (3.15-4.75 GHz). The 3-dB axial ratio bandwidths of the antenna are 25.1% (1.88-2.42 GHz) and 40.6% (3.20-4.83 GHz). The measured peak gains are 4.8 and 7.5 dBi at the lower and higher bands, respectively. Therefore, the proposed antenna in this study is suitable for the dual-band wideband CP antenna as a reference.
"A Compact Dual-Band Wideband Circularly Polarized Microstrip Antenna for Sub-6G Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 100, 99-107, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21082702
1. Dicandia, F. A., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "Analysis of the performance enhancement of MIMO systems employing circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 9, 4824-4835, Sep. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2723083
2. Rajanna, P. K. T., K. Rudramuni, and K. Kandasamy, "A wideband circularly polarized slot antenna backed by a frequency selective surface," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 19, No. 3, 166-171, Jul. 2019 (in English). doi:10.26866/jees.2019.19.3.166
3. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598
4. Huang, Y. J., L. Yang, J. Li, Y. Wang, and G. J. Wen, "Polarization conversion of metasurface for the application of wide band low-profile circular polarization slot antenna," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 109, No. 5, Art. No. 054101, Aug. 2016.
5. Jan, J., C. Pan, K. Chiu, and H. Chen, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly-polarized slot antenna with an open slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1418-1422, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2231926
6. Qian, K. and X. Tang, "Compact LTCC dual-band circularly polarized perturbed hexagonal microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1212-1215, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2173654
7. Li, Y., B. Tian, J. Xue, and G. Ge, "Compact dual-band circularly polarized antenna design for navigation terminals," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 802-805, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2475319
8. Liang, Z., D. Yang, X.Wei, and E. Li, "Dual-band dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna with two eccentric rings and an arc-shaped conducting strip," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 834-837, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2476505
9. Kai-Ping, Y. and W. Kin-Lu, "Dual-band circularly-polarized square microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 3, 377-382, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.918611
10. Lee, S., Y. Yang, K. Y. Lee, and K. C. Hwang, "Dual-band circularly polarized annular slot antenna with a lumped inductor for GPS application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 12, 8197-8202, Dec. 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.2997990
11. Xu, R., J. Y. Li, J. Liu, S. G. Zhou, K. Wei, and Z. J. Xing, "A simple design of compact dual-wideband square slot antenna with dual-sense circularly polarized radiation for WLAN/Wi-Fi communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 9, 4884-4889, Sep. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2851671
12. Weng, W. C., J. Y. Sze, and C. F. Chen, "A dual-broadband circularly polarized slot antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2837-2841, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2307317
13. Xu, R., J.-Y. Li, Y.-X. Qi, G.-W. Yang, and J.-J. Yang, "A design of triple-wideband triple-sense circularly polarized square slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1763-1766, 2017.
14. Mason Moore, Z. I. and S. Lim, "A size-reduced, broadband, bidirectional, circularly polarized antenna for potential application in WLAN, WiMAX, 4G, and 5G frequency bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 114, 1-11, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21051801
15. Sung, Y., "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a parasitic center patch," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 1712-1716, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186224