We present an ultra-compact modular division (de) multiplexer [(de) MUX] based on the tilted lithium niobate waveguide, an asymmetric directional coupler (ADC) composed of silica-lithium niobate waveguide (SLNW) and lithium niobate waveguide (LNW) for the modular division multiplexer. The TE0 and TE1 modes were optimized by using the finite element method (FEM). By rationally designing the size of SLNW waveguide and LNW waveguide, TE0 mode light is injected into the In1 port of LNW waveguide, TE0 mode light is converted to TE1 mode in the coupling zone, and transmitted in the SLNW waveguide, output from the Out2 port. It show that the coupling length of this MUX is only 6 μm. At a working wavelength of 1.55 um, when TE0 enters the coupling area from port In1, the mode is coupled and converted to TE1; the TE1 mode is output from Out2; the value of IL is 0.87 dB; and the value of MCE is 99.5%. When TE0 enters from port In2, the TE0 mode is output from Out2, with 0.1 dB for IL, 99.7% for MCE, and -25 dB for CT.
"Ultracompact Mode-Division (De)Multiplexer Based on Tilted Lithium Niobate Waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 110, 101-108, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23021403
1. Shacham, A., K. Bergman, and L. P. Carloni, "Photonic networks-on-chip for future generations of chip multiprocessors," IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 57, No. 9, 1246-1260, 2008. doi:10.1109/TC.2008.78
2. Miller, D., "Device requirements for optical interconnects to silicon chips," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 7, 1166-1185, 2009. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2009.2014298
3. Dai, D., C. Li, S. Wang, et al. "10-channel mode (de)multiplexer with dual polarizations," Laser & Photonics Reviews, Vol. 12, No. 1, 2017.
4. Wang, S., X. Feng, S. Guo, et al. "On-chip reconfigurable optical add-drop multiplexer for hybrid wavelength/mode-division-multiplexing systems," Opt. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 14, 2802-2805, Jul. 15, 2017. doi:10.1364/OL.42.002802
5. Dai, D., J. Wang, and Y. Shi, "Silicon mode (de)multiplexer enabling high capacity photonic networks-on-chip with a single-wavelength-carrier light," Opt. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 9, 1422-1424, May 1, 2013. doi:10.1364/OL.38.001422
6. Ding, Y., J. Xu, F. Da Ros, B. Huang, H. Ou, and C. Peucheret, "On-chip two-mode division multiplexing using tapered directional coupler-based mode multiplexer and demultiplexer," Opt. Express, Vol. 21, No. 8, 10376-10382, Apr. 22, 2013. doi:10.1364/OE.21.010376
7. Guo, F., D. Liu, R. Zhang, et al. "An MMI-based mode (DE)MUX by varying the waveguide thickness of the phase shifter," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 28, No. 21, 2443-2446, 2016. doi:10.1109/LPT.2016.2599934
8. Sun, C., Y. Yu, M. Ye, G. Chen, and X. Zhang, "An ultra-low crosstalk and broadband two-mode (de)multiplexer based on adiabatic couplers," Sci. Rep., Vol. 6, 38494, Dec. 6, 2016.
9. Wu, Y. and K. S. Chiang, "Ultra-broadband mode multiplexers based on three-dimensional asymmetric waveguide branches," Opt. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 3, 407-410, Feb. 1, 2017. doi:10.1364/OL.42.000407
10. Yang, Y. D., Y. Li, Y. Z. Huang, and A. W. Poon, "Silicon nitride three-mode division multiplexing and wavelength-division multiplexing using asymmetrical directional couplers and microring resonators," Opt. Express, Vol. 22, No. 18, 22172-22183, Sep. 8, 2014. doi:10.1364/OE.22.022172
11. Xing, J., Z. Li, X. Xiao, J. Yu, and Y. Yu, "Two-mode multiplexer and demultiplexer based on adiabatic couplers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 17, 3468-3470, Sep. 1, 2013. doi:10.1364/OL.38.003468
12. Uematsu, T., Y. Ishizaka, Y. Kawaguchi, K. Saitoh, and M. Koshiba, "Design of a compact two-mode multi/demultiplexer consisting of multimode interference waveguides and a wavelength-insensitive phase shifter for mode-division multiplexing transmission," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 30, No. 15, 2421-2426, 2012. doi:10.1109/JLT.2012.2199961
13. Chen, W., P. Wang, T. Yang, et al. "Silicon three-mode (de)multiplexer based on cascaded asymmetric Y junctions," Opt. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 12, 2851-2854, Jun. 15, 2016. doi:10.1364/OL.41.002851
14. Sun, Y., Y. Xiong, and W. N. Ye, "Experimental demonstration of a two-mode (de)multiplexer based on a taper-etched directional coupler," Opt. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 16, 3743-3746, Aug. 15, 2016. doi:10.1364/OL.41.003743
15. Hu, H., R. Ricken, and W. Sohler, "Lithium niobate photonic wires," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, 24261-24268, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.024261
16. Cheng, Z., J. Wang, Y. Huang, X. Ren, "Realization of a compact broadband polarization beam splitter using the three-waveguide coupler," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2019.