This paper presents a packaged third-order transmission line based (TL-based) active bandpass filter (BPF), which is fabricated using Silterra's standard 0.18-μm CMOS 1P6M technology, with high stopband suppression. The active compensating circuit, which produces differential negative conductance, improves the quality factor (Q factor) of TL-based resonator and suppresses the spurious resonances at even-harmonic frequencies. The spurious responses are also shifted towards higher frequencies by applying a capacitively loaded TL resonator method to the filter design. Additionally, an inductive parasitic effect introduced by the package is investigated and reduced to achieve the minimum impact on the stopband suppression. Measurement results indicate that the prototype has an insertion loss of 0.95 dB at a central frequency (f0) of 1.53 GHz with a 3-dB bandwidth of 3.1%, while a current of 8 mA is consumed from 3.0 V. The stopband suppressions at 2f0 and 3f0 are 44.57 dB and 52.78 dB, respectively. Furthermore, the suppression exceeds 35 dB from 1.08f0 to 10.05f0.
1. Hsiao, , C.-Y. , Y.-C. Chiang, and , "A miniaturized open-loop resonator filter constructed with floating plate overlays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,, Vol. 14, , 131-145, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10051405
2. Dai, G.-L. , M.-Y. Xia, and , "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, , Vol. 100, , 235-243, , 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09120401
3. Chien, , H.-Y., , T.-M. Shen, T.-Y. Huang, W.-H. Wang, and R.-B.Wu, , "Miniaturized bandpass filter with double-folded substrate integrated waveguide resonators in LTCC," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., , Vol. 57, No. 7, 1774-1782, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2022591
4. Lee, , Y. C. , T. W. Kim, and , "A low-loss patch LTCC BPF for 60 GHz system-on-package (SoP) applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, , Vol. 12, 183-189, , 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09110903
5. Kuo, J.-T., , S.-C. Tang, and S.-H. Lin, , "Quasi-elliptic function bandpass ¯lter with upper stopband extension and high rejection level using cross-coupled stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, , Vol. 114, 395-405, , 2011.
6. Deng, , H.-W., , Y.-J. Zhao, X.-S. Zhang, L. Zhang, and S.-P. Gao, "Compact quintuple-mode UWB bandpass filter with good out-of-band rejection ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,, Vol. 14, , 111-117, , 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10030912
7. Wang, S. and R.-X. Wang, , "A tunable bandpass filter using Q-enhanced and semi-passive inductors at S-band in 0.18-um CMOS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 28, 55-73, 2011.
8. Kulyk, J., J. Haslett, and , "A monolithic CMOS 2368 +30MHz transformer based Q-enhanced series-C coupled resonator band- pass filter," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, , Vol. 41, No. 2, 362-374, 2006. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2005.862348
9. Tzuang, , C.-K. C., , H.-H. Wu, H.-S. Wu, and J. Chen, "CMOS active bandpass ¯lter using compacted synthetic quasi-TEM lines at C-band," ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.,, Vol. 54, No. 12, 4548-4555, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.881507
10. Soorapanth, , T. , S. S. Wong, and , "A 0-dB IL 2140 +30MHz bandpass ¯lter utilizing Q-enhanced spiral inductors in standard CMOS," IEEE J. Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 37, No. 5, 579-586, 2002. doi:10.1109/4.997850
11. Georgescu, , B., , I. G. Finvers, and F. Ghannouchi, "2 GHz Q-enhanced active filter with low passband distortion and high dynamic range," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, , Vol. 41, No. 9, 2029-2039, , 2006. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2006.880618
12. Aparin, , V. , P. Katzin, and , "Active GaAs MMIC band-pass filters with automatic frequency tuning and insertion loss control," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, , Vol. 30, No. 10, 1068-1073, , 1995. doi:10.1109/4.466077
13. Lee, , M.-L., , H.-S.Wu, and C.-K. C. Tzuang, , "1.58 GHz third-order CMOS active bandpass filter with improved passband flatness," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.,, Vol. 59, No. 9, 2275-2284, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2160196
14. Wong, , B. P., , A. Mittal, Y. Cao, and G. Starr, , Nano CMOS Circuit and Physical Design, , 172-219, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., , New York, 2005. doi:10.1002/0471653829.ch5
15. Matthaei, G. L., , L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, , 427-440, Artech House, , Norwood, 1980.
16. Yeung, , L. K., , K.-L. Wu, and Y. E. Wang, , "Low-temperature co¯red ceramic LC ¯lters for RF applications," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 9, No. 5, 118-128, 2008. doi:10.1109/MMM.2008.927634
17. Irwin, J. D., C.-H. Wu, and , Basic Engineering Circuit Analysis , 6th Ed., 729, , John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, , 1999.