Intentional Electromagnetic Interference (IEMI) is one of the applications of High Power Electromagnetics (HPEM) for causing intentional interference in military targets such as C4I (Command, Control, Communication, Computer and Intelligence) targets and segments of civilian systems like critical VSAT's (Very Small Aperture Terminals), power grid and communication network, weather and air-traffic control radars etc. HPEM essentially consists of generation of intense electromagnetic waves either as High Power Microwave (HPM) or Ultra Wide Band (UWB) waves to cause electromagnetic interference. High power UWB waves are promising candidate for IEMI application. One such UWB source, developed for the purpose of radiating high intensity, fast rise time, short pulses, is the Half Impulse Radiating Antenna (HIRA) which covers a frequency range of 100 MHz to 6 GHz. In this paper, characteristics of UWB source i.e., HIRA, such as characteristics of electric field in both boresight and off-boresight, far field boundary and radiation pattern were computed. The UWB pulse dispersion through civil infrastructure and their coupling to power cables were studied experimentally.
1. Giri, D. V. and F. M. Tesche, "Classification of intentional electromagnetic environments (IEME)," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic compatibility, Vol. 46, No. 3, 322-328, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.831819
2. Wilson, C., "High altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP) and high power microwave (HPM) devices: Threat assessments,", Library of CongressWashington DC Congressional Research Service, 2008.
3. Radasky, W. A., C. E. Baum, and M. W. Wik, "Introduction to the special issue on high-power electromagnetics (HPEM) and intentional electromagnetic interference (IEMI)," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, No. 3, 314-321, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.831899
4. Giri, D. V., High-power Electromagnetic Radiators: Nonlethal Weapons and Other Applications, Harvard University Press, 2004.
5. Santini, L., G. B. Forleo, and M. Santini, "Implantable devices in the electromagnetic environment," Journal of Arrhythmia, Vol. 29, No. 6, 325-333, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.joa.2013.06.004
6. Satav, S. M., "High power electromagnetic and its defence applications," Science Day Oration Paper, EMC Technology Centre, Research Centre Imarat, Hyderabad, India, 2014.
7. Baum, C. E., et al., "JOLT: A highly directive, very intensive, impulse-like radiator," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 92, No. 7, 1096-1109, 2004. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2004.829011
8. Farr, E. G. and C. A. Frost, "Development of a reflector IRA and a solid dielectric lens IRA, Part I: Design, predictions, and construction," Sensor and Simulation Notes 396, March 27, 1996.
9. Miller, E. K. (ed.), Time-domain Measurements in Electromagnetics, Springer Science & Business Media, November 30, 1986.
10. Farr, E. G. and G. D. Sower, "Design principles of half impulse radiating antennas," Sensor and Simulation Note 390, December 1995.
11. Yao, L., et al., "Compensation of the offset in numerical integration of a D-dot sensor measurement ," 2014 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on IEEE Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 2014.
12. Romero, C., et al., "Modified ground plane geometry for a half impulse radiating antenna," 2017 International Conference on IEEE Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 2017.
13. Benford, J., J. A. Swegle, and E. Schamiloglu, High Power Microwaves, CRC Press, 2016.
14. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory and Design, Wiley India, 2016.
15. Backstrom, M. G. and K. G. Lovstrand, "Susceptibility of electronic systems to high-power microwaves: Summary of test experience," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, No. 3, 396-403, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.831814
16. Amin, M. G. (ed.), Through-the-Wall Radar Imaging, CRC Press, 2011.
17. Savage, E. and W. Radasky, "Overview of the threat of IEMI (intentional electromagnet interference)," 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), IEEE, 2012.
18. Rachidi, F. and S. Tkachenko, Electromagnetic Field Interaction with Transmission Lines: From Classical Theory to HF Radiation Effects, Vol. 5, WIT Press, 2008. doi:10.2495/978-1-84564-063-7
19. Rakesh, K. and M. J. Thomas, "Interaction of high power electromagnetic pulses with power cables and electronic systems," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 159-163, IEEE, 2016.
20. Paul, C. R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 184, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
21. Ianoz, M., "A comparison between HEMP and HPEM parameters. Effects and mitigation methods," Asia-Pacific Symposium on IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility and 19th International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2008.