A wideband coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed monopole antenna designed for Wi-Fi5 and Wi-Fi6 applications is proposed. The proposed antenna (main radiator) has a designed footprint of only 20 × 8.7 × 0.4 mm3, which is composed of an oval-shaped ring radiator with three concentric rings and a double-T structure loaded with a J-shaped slot. The main novelty of this work is that the measured wideband operation of 34.5% (5.15-7.29 GHz) is contributed by only a single resonance at 6.2 GHz, conforming to the bandwidth requirement of Wi-Fi5 (5.15-5.85 GHz) and Wi-Fi6 (5.925-7.125 GHz). Furthermore, the proposed antenna also exhibits good radiation characteristics, including a gain around 2.25 dBi, a radiation efficiency above 80%, a total efficiency above 70%, and omnidirectional radiation patterns with a low magnitude of cross polarization throughout the bands of interest.
2. Gong, Y., S. Yang, B. Li, Y. Chen, F. Tong, and C. Yu, "Multi-band and high gain antenna using AMC ground characterized with four zero-phases of reflection coefficient," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 171457-171468, 2020.
3. Rajalakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Compact modified hexagonal spiral resonator-based tri-band patch antenna with octagonal slot for Wi-Fi/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 106, 77-87, 2020.
4. Yang, Y.-B., F.-S. Zhang, Y.-Q. Zhang, and X.-P. Li, "Design and analysis of a novel miniaturized dual-band omnidirectional antenna for WiFi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 94, 95-103, 2020.
5. Aziz, A., A. Motagaly, A. Ibrahim, W. Rouby, and M. Abdalla, "A printed expanded graphite paper based dual band antenna for conformal wireless applications," Int. J. Electron. Comm. (AEU), Vol. 110, 1-7, 2019.
6. Kulkarni, J. and C. Y. D. Sim, "Low-profile, compact multi-band monopole antenna for futuristic wireless applications," 2020 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (CONECCT), 1-5, Bangalore, India, 2020.
7. Kumar, A., A. A. Althuwayb, and M. J. Al-Hasan, "Wideband triple resonance patch antenna for 5G Wi-Fi spectrum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 93, 89-97, 2020.
8. Abbasi, N., R. Langley, and S. Bashir, "Multiband shorted monopole antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 5, 618-633, 2014.
9. Saraswat, R. and M. Kumar, "A vertex-fed hexa-band frequency reconfigurable antenna for wireless applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, 1-13, 2019.
10. Jing, J., J. Pang, H. Lin, Z. Qui, and C.-J. Liu, "A multiband compact low-profile planar antenna based on multiple resonator stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 94, 1-7, 2020.
11. Kumar, Y., R. Gangwar, and B. Kanaujia, "Asymmetrical mirror imaged monopole antenna with modified ground structure for DBDP radiations," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 107, 1-24, 2020.
12. Kulkarni, J., N. Kulkarni, and A. Desai, "Development of H-shaped monopole antenna for IEEE 802.11a and HIPERLAN 2 applications in the laptop computer," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 30, No. 7, 1-14, 2020.
13. Sim, C. Y. D., C. C. Chen, X. Y. Zhang, and Y. L. Lee, "Very small-size uniplanar printed monopole antenna for dual-band WLAN laptop computer applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, 2916-2922, 2017.
14. Kulkarni, J., "Multi-band printed monopole antenna conforming bandwidth requirement of GSM/WLAN/WiMAX standards," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 91, 59-66, 2020.
15. Kulkarni, J., "An ultra-thin, dual band, sub 6GHz, 5G and WLAN antenna for next generation laptop computers," Circuit World, Vol. 45, 363-370, 2020.
16. Sim, C., H. Liu, and C. Huang, "Wideband MIMO antenna array design for future mobile devices operating in the 5G NR frequency bands n77/n78/n79 and LTE band 46," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, 74-78, 2020.
17. Kulkarni, J., A. Desai, and C. Y. D. Sim, "Wideband four-port MIMO antenna array with high isolation for future wireless systems," Int. J. Electron. Comm. (AEU), 2020.