This paper presents a new concept to implement tunable lowpass filters by employing slot resonators etched in the ground plane. The tenability is achieved with the use of switches with varactor diodes attached across the slots on the ground.
The concept is demonstrated by considering 10-slots lowpass and 4-slots low pass filters.
The Microstrip lines with a folded slot etched in the ground plane structure are modelled in multilayered media. To analyze this type of structure an iterative method based on the concept of waves is developed and adapted to determine features of very high frequency's electronic circuits in a planar wave guide.
The analysis takes into account eventual coupling parasites. Experimental measurements are performed to validate the computation. The approach involves the mixed magnetic and electric filed equation technique and the wave concept iterative process which involves S-parameters extraction technique. In this sense, a program in FORTRAN has been elaborated to determine different parameters Sij characterizing the studied structure.
"Tunable Lowpass Filters Using Folded Slots Etched in the Ground Plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 7, 65-78, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09012706
1. Gharsallah, A., R. Garcia, A. Gharbi, and H. Baudrand, "Wave concept iterative merges with model fast Fourier transformation to analyze micro-strip filters," Applied Computed Electromagnetic Society, Vol. 14, No. 1, 61-67, March 2001.
2. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Design of highly selective microstrip bandpass filters with a single pair of attenuation poles at finite frequencies ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 7, 1098-1107, July 2000. doi:10.1109/22.848492
3. Gharsallah, A., A. Gharbi, L. Desclos, and H. Baudrand, "Analysis of interdigital capacitor and quasi-lumped miniaturized filters using iterative method," Int. Journal of Numerical Modeling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 15, 169-179, 2002. doi:10.1002/jnm.448
4. Gharsallah, A., A. Gharbi, and H. Baudrand, "Efficient analysis of multiport passive circuitsusing the iterative technique," Electromagnetics, Vol. 21, 73-84, 2001. doi:10.1080/02726340151087996
5. Trabelsi, H., A. Gharsallah, and H. Baudrand, "Analysis of microwave circuits including lumped elements based on iterative method," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 4, 269-275, 2003. doi:10.1002/mmce.10084
6. Edwin, K., L. Young, J. C. Beal, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Multilayer microstrip structure analysis with matched load simulation," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 1, January 1995.
7. Kaddour, M., A. Mami, A. Gharsallah, A. Gharbi, and H. Baudrand, "Analysis of multilayer microstrip antennas by using iterative method," Journal of Microwaves and Optoelectronics, Vol. 3, No. 1, April 2003.
8. Zhang, R. and R. R. Mansour, "A novel lowpass microstrip filter using metal-loaded slots in the ground plane," IEEE MTT-S. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1311-1314, June 2004.
9. Li, M., L. Haiwen, A. Boutejdar, W. Shuxin, and F. Tong, "Novel microstrip bandpass filter with slotted hexagonal resonators and capacitive loading," Proc. 38th European Microwave Conference 2008 (EuMC), Amsterdam RAI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, October 27-31, 2008.