A simple design of one dimensional gradual stacked photonic crystal (GSPC) structure has been proposed. The proposed structure consists of a periodic array of alternate layers of SiO2 and Si as the materials of low and high refractive indices respectively. The structure considered here has three stacks of periodic structures with five layers each. The lattice period of successive stack is increased by a certain multiple (say gradual constant, γ) of the lattice period of the just preceding stack. For numerical computation, the method of transfer matrix method (TMM) has been employed. It is found that such a structure has wider reflection bands in comparison to a conventional dielectric PC structure, and the width of the omni-directional reflection (ODR) bands can be enlarged by increasing the value of the gradual constant. Hence, a GSPC structure can be used as a broadband omnidirectional reflector, and the bandwidth of omni-directional gaps can be tuned to a desired wavelength region by choosing appropriate value of γ.
1. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2059-2062, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2059
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2486-2489, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2486
3. Jonnopoulos, J. D., P. Villeneuve, and S. Fan, "Photonic crystals: Putting a new twist on light," Nature, Vol. 386, 143-149, 1997. doi:10.1038/386143a0
4. Xu, K. Y., X. Zheng, C. L. Li, and W. L. She, "Design of omnidirectional and multiple channeled filters using one-dimensional photonic crystals containing a defect layer with a negative refractive index material," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 71, 066604, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.71.066604
5. Singh, S. K., J. P. Pandey, K. B. Thapa, and S. P. Ojha, "Some new band gaps and defect modes of one dimensional photonic crystals composed of metamaterials," Solid State Commun., Vol. 143, No. 217, 2007.
6. St. J. Russell, P., S. Treadwell, and P. J. Roberts, "Full photonic bandgaps and spontaneous emission control in 1D multilayer dielectric structures," Opt. Commun., Vol. 160, 66-71, 1999. doi:10.1016/S0030-4018(98)00659-2
7. Kumar, V., K. S. Singh, and S. P. Ojha, "Band structures, reflection properties and abnormal behaviour of one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 9, 227-241, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09101701
8. Pandey, G. N., K. B. Thapa, S. K. Srivastava, and S. P. Ojha, "Band structures and abnormal behaviour of one dimensional photonic crystal containing negative index materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 2, 15-36, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08021501
10. Yablonovitch, E., "Engineered omnidirectional external-reflectivity spectra from one-dimensional layered interference filters," Opt. Lett., Vol. 23, 1648-1649, 1998. doi:10.1364/OL.23.001648
11. Chigrin, D. N., A. V. Lavrinenko, D. A. Yarotsky, and S. V. Gaponenko, "Observation of total omnidirectional reflection from a one dimensional dielectric lattice," Appl. Phys. A: Mater. Sci. Process., Vol. 68, 25-28, 1999.
12. Fink, Y., J. N. Winn, S. Fan, C. Chen, J. Michel, J. D. Joannopoulos, and E. L. Thomas, "A dielectric omnidirectional reflector," Science, Vol. 282, 1679-1682, 1998. doi:10.1126/science.282.5394.1679
13. Lusk, D., I. Abdulhalim, and F. Placido, "Omnidirectional reflection from Fibonacci quasi-periodic one-dimensional photonic crystal," Opt. Commun., Vol. 198, 273-279, 2001. doi:10.1016/S0030-4018(01)01531-0
14. Ibanescu, M., Y. Fink, S. Fan, E. L. Thomas, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "An all-dielectric coaxial waveguide," Science, Vol. 289, 415-419, 2000. doi:10.1126/science.289.5478.415
15. Srivastava, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Omnidirectional reflection bands in one-dimensional photonic crystal structure using fullerence films," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 181-194, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07050202
16. Srivastava, R., S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional reflection in photonic crystal heterostructures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 197-208, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102903
17. Huang, J. P. and K. W. Yu, "Optical nonlinearity enhancement of graded metallic fllms," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 85, 94-96, 2004. doi:10.1063/1.1769086
18. Sang, Z. F. and Z. Y. Li, "Effective negative refractive index of graded granular composites with metallic magnetic particles," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 334, 422-428, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2004.11.047
19. Huang, J. P. and K. W. Yu, "Second-harmonic generation in graded metallic films," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, 275-277, 2005. doi:10.1364/OL.30.000275
20. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1988.
21. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principle of Optics, 4th Ed., Pergamon, Oxford, 1970.
22. Winn, J. N., Y. Fink, S. Fan, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Omnidirectional reflection from a one-dimensional photonic crystal," Optics Lett., Vol. 23, 1573-1575, 1998. doi:10.1364/OL.23.001573
23. Lee, H. Y. and T. Yao, "Design and evaluation of omnidirectional one-dimensional photonic crystals," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 93, 819-937, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1530726
24. Srivastava, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Broadband optical reflector based on Si/SiO2 one dimensional graded photonic crystal structure," J. Mod. Opt., Vol. 56, No. 1, 33-40, 2009. doi:10.1080/09500340802428330