Our previous work has proved that the Monostatic Radar Cross Section (MRCS) of array antennas can be decomposed into the multiplication of array MRCS factor and element MRCS factor. The principle was derived in a special case that the array only had dipole antenna elements. However, many array antennas have more general antenna elements whose current is aperture distributed along the antenna structure. Obviously it encounters limited application problem when the principle is used to analyze more general array antennas other than dipole arrays. Therefore, the principle is extended into the more general array with arbitrary aperture antenna elements in this paper. In deriving the principle, the devices in the feed are assumed to have identical transmission and reflection coefficients. In order to validate the principle the scattering pattern of a waveguide slot array and an array with helix antenna elements are synthesized utilizing the array RCS factor. The simulation and calculation results prove that the principle is correct for the RCS pattern synthesis of general arrays with aperture antenna elements.
"Analysis and Synthesis of Radar Cross Section of Array Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 16, 73-84, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM10100803
1. Coe, R. J. and A. Ishimaru, "Optimum scattering from an array of half-wave dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 18, No. 2, 224-229, Mar. 1970. doi:10.1109/TAP.1970.1139651
2. Jin, , J.-M. and J. L. Volakis, "A hybrid finite element method for scattering and radiation by microstrip patch antennas and arrays residing in a cavity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 11, 1598-1604, Nov. 1991. doi:10.1109/8.102775
3. Bow, W. J. , A. S. King, and C. E. Lee, "Scattering from finite array of microstrip patches on uniaxial substrate," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 2, 126-127, Jan. 1992. doi:10.1049/el:19920078
4. Tsay, W. J. and D. M. Pozar, "Radiation and scattering from infinite periodic printed antennas with inhomogeneous media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1641-1650, Nov. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.736615
5. Zhuang, Y., K. L.Wu, C.Wu, and J. Litva, "A combined full-wave CG-FFT method for rigorous analysis of large microstrip antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, No. 1, 102-109, Jun. 1996. doi:10.1109/8.477534
6. King, A. S. and W. J. Bow, "Scattering from a finite array of microstrip patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, No. 7, 770-774, Jul. 1992. doi:10.1109/8.155741
7. Zhang, L. , N. Yuan, M. Zhang, L. W. Li, and Y. B. Gan, "RCS computation for a large array of waveguide slots with finite wall thickness using the MoM accelerated by P-FFT algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 9, 3101-3105, Sep. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.854537
8. Zhang, M. , L. W. Li, and A. Y. Ma, "Analysis of scattering by a large array of waveguide-fed wide-slot millimeter wave antennas using precorrected-FFT algorithm," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 772-774, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.858965
9. Fan, G. X. and J. M. Jin, "Scattering from a cylindrically conformal slotted waveguide array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 7, 1150-1159, Jul. 1997.
10. Thors, B., L. Joesfsson, and R. G. Rojas, "The RCS of a cylindrical array antennas coated with a dielectric layer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1851-1858, Jul. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.831300
11. Thors, B. and L. Joesfsson, "Radiation and scattering tradeoff design for conformal arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1069-1076, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811489
12. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Ultra wide band RCS optimization of multilayered cylindrical structures for arbitrarily polarized incident plane waves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 129-157, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07090305
13. Choi, J.-I., B.-H. Lee, W. J. Yang, K. S. Song, E, and J. Park, "Optimum current distribution on resistive strip for arbitrarily prescribed RCS pattern," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave, 363-366, 1998.
14. Haupt, R. and Y. B. Chung, "Optimizing backscattering from arrays of perfectly conducting strips," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 5, 26-33, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/MAP.2003.1252807
15. Bondeson, A., Y. Yang, and P. Weinerfelt, "Optimization of radar cross section by a gradient method," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 40, No. 2, 1260-1263, Mar. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2004.824730
16. Liu, Y., S. X. Gong, and D. M. Fu, "Analysis and optimization of impedance strip for radar cross section reduction," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 18, No. 3, 301-304, Jun. 2003.
17. Lu, B., S. X. Gong, S. Zhang, and J. Ling, "A new method for determining the scattering of linear polarized element arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 7, 87-96, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09031804
18. Lu, B. , S. X. Gong, S. Zhang, Y. Guan, and J. Ling, "Optimum spatial arrangement of array elements for suppression of grating-lobes of radar cross section," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 114-117, 2010.
19. Liu, Y., S. X. Gong, and D. M. Fu, "Theoretic study of antennas scattering," ACTA Electronic Sinica, Vol. 33, 1611-1613, Sep. 2005.
20. Liu, Y., S. X. Gong, and D. M. Fu, "Scattering analysis of antenna array," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., 1252-1255, Nov. 2003.
21. Liu, Y., D.-M. Fu, and S.-X. Gong, "A novel model for analyzing the RCS of microstrip antenna," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves Applications, Vol. 17, No. 9, 1301-1310, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322520043
22. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 18, No. 3, 409-418, May 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142818
23. Lo, Y. T. and S. W. Lee, "Antenna Handbook: Theory, Applications, and Design," Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York, 1988.