A 50 to 550 MHz wideband gallium nitride (GaN) HEMT power amplifier with over 43 dBm output power and 63% drain efficiency has been successfully developed. The demonstrated wideband power amplifier utilizes two GaN HEMTs and operates in a push-pull voltage mode Class D (VMCD). The design is based on a large signal simulation to optimize the power amplifier's output power and efficiency. To assure a wideband operation, a coaxial line impedance transformer has been used as part of the input matching network; meanwhile, a wideband a 1:1 ferrite loaded balun and low pass filters are utilized on the amplifier's output side instead of the conventional serial harmonic termination.
1. Raab, F. H., P. Asbeck, S. Cripps, P. B. Kenington, Z. B. Popovic, N. Pothecary, J. F. Sevic, and N. O. Sokal, "Power amplifiers and transmitters for RF and microwave," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 814-826, 2002. doi:10.1109/22.989965
2. Jimenez Martin, J. L., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. E. Gonzalez-Garcia, F. J. Arques-Orobon, L. E. Garcia Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual band high efficiency class ce power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09071609
3. Chung, Y., S. Cai, W. Lee, Y. Lin, C. P. Wen, K. L. Wang, and T. Itoh, "High power wideband AlGaN/GaN HEMT feedback amplifier module with drain and feedback loop inductances," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, 1199-1200, 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20010787
4. Jong-Wook, L. and K. J. Webb, "Broadband GaN HEMT push-pull microwave power amplifier," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, 367-369, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.950763
5. Lin, S., M. Eron, and A. E. Fathy, "Development of ultra wideband, high efficiency, distributed power amplifiers using discrete GaN HEMTs," IET Circuits, Devices & Systems, Vol. 3, 135-142, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-cds.2008.0339
6. Yi, H. and S.-Y. Hong, "Design of L-band high speed pulsed power amplifier using ldmos fet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 2, 153-165, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08032805
7. Baxandall, P. J., Transistor sinewave oscillators, IEE Proc., 748-758, London, May 1959.
8. Ji-Yeon, K., H. Dong-Hoon, K. Jong-Heon, and S. P. Stapleton, "A 50W LDMOS current mode 1800MHz class-D power amplifier," IEEE MTT-S, 1295-1298, 2005.
9. Nemati, H., Design, implementation and evaluation of a current-mode class-D power amplifier, Master's Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, 2006.
10. Kobayashi, H., J. M. Hinrichs, and P. M. Asbeck, "Current-mode class-D power amplifiers for high-efficiency RF applications," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 49, 2480-2485, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.971639
11. Gustavsson, U., Design of an inverse class D amplifier using GaN-HEMT technology, MSc, Örebro University, 2006.
12. Hegazi, G., T. Chu, S. Heibel, J. Jordan, and H. Sasmazer, Linear wideband VHF/UHF quad LINC transmitter system, IEEE Military Communications Conference, MILCOM 2007, 1-6, 2007.
15. Albulet, M., RF Power Amplifiers, Noble Publishing Assoicates, Jan. 2001.
16. Yao, J. and S. I. Long, "Power amplifier selection for LINC applications," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 53, No. 8, 763-767, 2006. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2006.876384
17. Sevick, J., Transmission Line Transformer, Noble Publishing, Atlanta, 2001.
18. Wang, N., X. Peng, V. Yousefzadeh, D. Maksimovic, S. Pajic, and Z. Popovic, "Linearity of X-band class-E power amplifier in EER operation," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 1096-1102, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.843500