During the last two decades, several simulation tools have been proposed for the modeling of electronic equipments in function of the physical environmental changes. It was stated that numerous electronic components such as semiconductor devices can be affected by the mechanistic effects, humidity or simply the temperature variations. To study the last effect, based on the multilayer perceptron neural network (MLPNN), a characterization method of the passive electronic device thermal effects is introduced in this paper. The method proposed was realized toward the equivalent circuit identification of the under test device (R, L, C components) measured input impedances. To demonstrate the relevance of the method, numerical computations with MLPNN algorithms implemented into Matlab were performed. First, a capacitor modeling from 30 kHz to 1 GHz for the temperature variation from 25°C to 130°C is presented. It was found that a good agreement between the proposed model and the measurement is observed. Then, a commercial EMI low-pass filter was also characterized in RF frequencies through the S-parameter identification. Finally, further discussion on the potential applications of this work, in particular, in the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) field is offered in the last part of this paper.
1. Moore, G. E., "Cramming more components into integrated circuits," Electronics, Vol. 38, No. 8, 114-117, 1965.
2., Renault, "Resistance to electrical disturbances and electromagnetic compatibility instructions concerning electrical, electronic and pyrotechnic equipment,", Product Specification 36-00-808/-G, Rev. D, Oct.2000.
3. Williams, B. W., "Principles and elements of power electronics, devices, drivers, applications, and passive components,", Free eBook:share ebook, 986,2006, ISBN 978-0-9553384-0-3..
4. Neugebauer, T. C. and D. J. Perreault, "Filters with inductance cancellation using printed circuit board transformers," Proc. PESC'03, IEEE 34th Annual Conf., Vol. 1, 272-282, 2003.
5. Wang, S., F. C. Lee, D. Y. Chen, and W. G. Odendaal, "Effects of parasitic parameters on EMI filter performance," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 19, No. 3, 869-877, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2004.826527
6. Mawby, A., P. M. Igic, and M. S. Towers, "New physics-based compact electro-thermal model of power diode dedicated to circuit simulation," Proc. IEEE ISCAS 2001, Vol. 2, 401-404, Sydney, Australia, May 2001.
7. Vuolevi, J. and T. Rahkonen, "Extracting a polynomial ac FET model with thermal couplings from S-parameter measurements," Proc. IEEE ISCAS 2001, Vol. 2, 461-464, Sydney, Australia, May 2001.
8. Renken, F., "High temperature electronics for future hybrid drive systems," 13th European Conf. on Power Electronics and Applications, Proc. EPE-PEMC 2009, 14th Int. Power Electronics and Motion Control Conf, 8-10, Barcelona, Spain, Sep. 2009.
9. Song, S. and K. P. Morgan, "Thermal and electrical resistances of bolted joints between plates of unequal thickness," Semiconductor Thermal Measurement and Management Symp., 1993, SEMI- HERM IX., Ninth Annual IEEE, Austin, TX, USA, Feb. 1993.
10. Wagner, D., "Modeling thermal effects in RF LDMOS tran- sistors,", MOTOROLA Semiconductor Application Note, 1-7, AN1941, 2002.
11. Suter, P., R. Bauknecht, T. Graf, H. Duran, and I. Venter, "Thermo-mechanical finite-element modeling of a chip-on-foil bonding process," Proc. of the 6th Inter. Conf. on Thermal, Mechanical and Multi-physics Simulation and Experiments in Micro-electronics and Micro-systems, EuroSimE 2005, , 25-30, Apr. 18-20, 2005.
12. Deplanque, S., W. Nuchter, M. Spraul, B. Wunderie, R. Dudek, and B. Michel, "Relevance of primary creep in thermo-mechanical cycling for life-time prediction in Sn-based solders," Proc. of the 6th Int. Conf. on Thermal, Mechanical and Multi-physics Simulation and Experiments in Micro-electronics and Micro-systems, EuroSimE 2005,, 71-78, Apr. 18-20, 2005.
13. Sagko, H., S. Sinaga, J. N. Burghartz, B. Rejaei, and A. Akhnoukh, "Thermal effects in suspended RF spiral inductors," IEEE Electron. Device Letters, Vol. 26, No. 8, 541-543, 2005. doi:10.1109/LED.2005.852524
14. London, S., D. Fricano, A. Dasgupta, T. Reinikaininen, G. Freitas, and C. Pagliosa, "Probabilistic effects in thermal cycling failures of high-I/O BGA assemblies," Proc. of the 10th Int. Conf. on Thermal, Mechanical and Multi-physics Simulation and Experiments in Micro-electronics and Micro-systems, EuroSimE 2009,, 1-7, Apr. 26-29, 2009.
15. Jian-Ping, L., Y. Ping, Z. Jian, C. Quayle, C. Jing, L. Xu, and A. Salo, "Thermal analysis based on the environmental tests of STN display," Proc. of the 10th Int. Conf. on Thermal Mechanical and Multi-physics Simulation and Experiments in Micro-electronics and Micro-systems, EuroSimE 2009,, 1-6, Apr. 26-29, 2009.
17. Pena, A. E., M. Bensetti, F. Duval, and B. Ravelo, "Modeling of passive components from the measured S-parameters and application for low-pass filter characterization," Proc. of EPE- PEMC 2010, 14th Int. Power Electronics and Motion Control Conf., Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia, Sep. 6-8, 2010.
18. Naishadham, K., "Experimental equivalent circuit modeling of SMD inductors for printed circuit applications," IEEE Trans. EMC, Vol. 43, No. 4, 557-565, 2001.
19. Bensetti, M., Y. Le Bihan, and C. Marchand, "Non-destructive evaluation of layered planar media using MLP and RBF neural networks," The 8th International Workshop on Electromagnetic Nondestructive Evaluation, Saarbrucken, Allemagne, 2002.
20., , http://www.mathworks.fr/..
21. Malki, M. A., D. Baudry, and M. Ramdani, "New tool for characterizations of electronic components radiated emissions under thermal constraints," EMC Compo 09, Toulouse, France, Nov. 2009.